• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Penn State Coaching search???

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
I haven't really heard any rumors or much of anything on that front, has anybody else? In fact it's got me a little worried since most other programs seem to be hiring right now and Penn State has done nothing and I haven't heard any rumors. The reason I say this is because I think Jim Grobe is the type of guy that would stay and coach the bowl game and not bail on his team right after the regular season even though they still have a game to play. Am I just being paranoid or has anybody heard any rumors about Penn State being interested in Grobie?

Last edited:
I haven't really heard any rumors or much of anything on that front, has anybody else? In fact it's got me a little worried since most other programs seem to be hiring right now and Penn State has done nothing and I haven't heard any rumors. The reason I say this is because I think Jim Grobe is the type of guy that would stay and coach the bowl game and bail on his team right after the regular season even though they still have a game to play. Am I just being paranoid or has anybody heard any rumors about Penn State being interested in Grobie?
Huh?

Actually I meant "not bail" on his team. You know how most coaches will take a new job and leave immediately, even though they have a bowl game to play. I don't think Grobe would do this, but I might be wrong.

They won't be able to hire anyone good until this mess is cleaned up in my opinion. I think they take the interim tag of Bradley and try to get a great coach in a few years if he doesn't excel.

If we can do better than Jim Grobe (yeah, I said it. I'm tired out outside runs that go for no gain), so can Penn State

Here is the list of rumored candidates for the PSU job according to ESPN's sources:

- Dan Mullen
- Greg Schiano
- Tom Clements (Packers QB coach; from PA)
- Al Golden
- Tim Murphy (Harvard HC)
- Pat Fitzgerald
- Kirby Smart (Bama DC)
- Mark D'Antonio
- Charlie Strong
- Jim Caldwell
- Tom Bradley
- Jim Grobe (yes, he is on the list, but with no buzz that contact has been made)
- Troy Calhoun
- James Franklin
- Darren Perry (Packers Asst; played at PSU; has campaigned for it).

Of this group, the buzz has centered around Clements, Murphy, Fitzgerald, Golden and Bradley. IMO, Grobe is not a realistic candidate because of his age and the fact that is will be a long-term overhaul.

Yeah, I think Grobe is too old to be a long term hire and too expensive to be a bridge hire.

I wouldn't be shocked if they just promoted up Bradley. The good old boy network is in high spin up there.

I wouldn't be shocked if they just promoted up Bradley. The good old boy network is in high spin up there.

It wouldn't shock me either, as crazy as it sounds. Nothing spells change like promoting an assistant coach to head coach that was with the program during the entire scandal.Facepalm

That and it happened a little too much for my liking over the time I've been a Wake student. More passing, Grobe!!

Jim Caldwell? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

To the neg rep I got for criticizing Grobe, I get what he's done for the program and all of that. I just hate his play calling (i.e. the offensive coordinator). He has gotten better over the years but there are still times where I just shake my head and say "Jesus, Grobe what were you thinking...everybody on the planet knew you were going to run and we got no gain for it."

Back