• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Moderator Disclosure: Board Performance Issues

cookoutdeac

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Missing Features (SEARCH)

As some of you may have already noticed, a couple things may be missing from the site at the moment (such as the search function).

We had to disable a few features/plugins for troubleshooting purposes and the changes should be temporary. We'll let you know when things are back to 100% and if we do have to make any full time changes.

Two weeks ago, our hosts notified us that we have been consistently averaging higher than accepted CPU usage. We have done some things behind the scenes to try to mitigate this issue. However, tonight I received another warning, that our efforts were in vain.

Until we can figure out the root cause of the issue, we had to disable to search function, among other things. Chances are that if you see something different about the site, or something missing, it is because of the measures we have taken to avoid getting our site shut down.

This is a pressing issue. Our host has no more upgrades at a shared server level. Moving to a virtualized server is extremely expensive and would require changes to the site (ads). For obvious reasons, we don't want to go this route until we have to do so.

We will look around to see if there are any alternate hosting options, but in the meantime, we will have to live without the search function.

We'll do our best to try to bring service levels back to normal, but at the moment, we do not have a clear timeframe.

We appreciate your understanding through this issue.

:heart:

Damn, BKF was trying to alleviate server issues by deleting all his posts. What a true American.

Two weeks ago, our hosts notified us that we have been consistently averaging higher than accepted CPU usage. We have done some things behind the scenes to try to mitigate this issue. However, tonight I received another warning, that our efforts were in vain.

Until we can figure out the root cause of the issue, we had to disable to search function, among other things. Chances are that if you see something different about the site, or something missing, it is because of the measures we have taken to avoid getting our site shut down.

This is a pressing issue. Our host has no more upgrades at a shared server level. Moving to a virtualized server is extremely expensive and would require changes to the site (ads). For obvious reasons, we don't want to go this route until we have to do so.

We will look around to see if there are any alternate hosting options, but in the meantime, we will have to live without the search function.

We'll do our best to try to bring service levels back to normal, but at the moment, we do not have a clear timeframe.

We appreciate your understanding through this issue.

:heart:

is this why sometimes the board doesn't register(for lack of a better phrase) the server just shuts you down?

The elimination of the search function is like an early xmas present for Lectro and RJ.

Until we can figure out the root cause of the issue, we had to disable to search function, among other things.

vader_NOOOO.jpg

how much does the virtualized server cost? i'd certainly be willing to pay a dollar or two a month to have the board at full capacity. don't know how many others are with me on that.

how much does the virtualized server cost? i'd certainly be willing to pay a dollar or two a month to have the board at full capacity. don't know how many others are with me on that.

Entry level, depending on the host, it would cost $40 - $60. We don't need a powerhouse, but we also don't want to worry about running into these types of issues.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I should not not have gone with our current host. They have amazing customer service and support, but they are definitely a high-cost provider. To go with a virtualized server on their hosting, we would be looking at $150 a month. Obviously that an amount that we are prepared to pay at this point.

Just out of curiousity, other than the search function what are the other features of this board that contribute to the most CPU usage?

Just out of curiousity, other than the search function what are the other features of this board that contribute to the most CPU usage?

Basically anything that requires a search through our database or active refreshing.

Things like the list of online users at the bottom of the main ogboards page.
Search function.
Viewing last posts by a certain user.
How long the server caches posts.

There are some more that I'm not thinking of at the moment, but you get the picture. It's basically anything that makes the site user-friendly and interactive.

I'd pay to keep the search function just so people can continue to club idiots over the head with it.

Turn off the rep system. Require avatards to be much smaller.

We've identified a new host and the admins are discussing possible times to do the transition/update. Hang tight everyone..

I agree - take a few days (posters be damned) and move it over to a better company. I'd be willing to scape a few $$ together to float it, also. I think most people who use the site heavily would. Especially at ~$50/month.

Let Kanho come back in exchange for a $ donation.

Back