PDA

View Full Version : Moderator Disclosure: Board Performance Issues

cookoutdeac
12-14-2011, 06:40 PM
As some of you may have already noticed, a couple things may be missing from the site at the moment (such as the search function).

We had to disable a few features/plugins for troubleshooting purposes and the changes should be temporary. We'll let you know when things are back to 100% and if we do have to make any full time changes.

TWDeac
12-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Two weeks ago, our hosts notified us that we have been consistently averaging higher than accepted CPU usage. We have done some things behind the scenes to try to mitigate this issue. However, tonight I received another warning, that our efforts were in vain.

Until we can figure out the root cause of the issue, we had to disable to search function, among other things. Chances are that if you see something different about the site, or something missing, it is because of the measures we have taken to avoid getting our site shut down.

This is a pressing issue. Our host has no more upgrades at a shared server level. Moving to a virtualized server is extremely expensive and would require changes to the site (ads). For obvious reasons, we don't want to go this route until we have to do so.

We will look around to see if there are any alternate hosting options, but in the meantime, we will have to live without the search function.

We'll do our best to try to bring service levels back to normal, but at the moment, we do not have a clear timeframe.

We appreciate your understanding through this issue.

:heart:

TuffaloDeac10
12-14-2011, 06:51 PM
So this is why kanhoji was restricted to one thread...

cookoutdeac
12-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Stated much better than myself.

HailToTheDeacons
12-14-2011, 06:55 PM
So this is why kanhoji was restricted to one thread...

Lol.

Wakeforest22890
12-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Damn, BKF was trying to alleviate server issues by deleting all his posts. What a true American.

bernbp5
12-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Two weeks ago, our hosts notified us that we have been consistently averaging higher than accepted CPU usage. We have done some things behind the scenes to try to mitigate this issue. However, tonight I received another warning, that our efforts were in vain.

Until we can figure out the root cause of the issue, we had to disable to search function, among other things. Chances are that if you see something different about the site, or something missing, it is because of the measures we have taken to avoid getting our site shut down.

This is a pressing issue. Our host has no more upgrades at a shared server level. Moving to a virtualized server is extremely expensive and would require changes to the site (ads). For obvious reasons, we don't want to go this route until we have to do so.

We will look around to see if there are any alternate hosting options, but in the meantime, we will have to live without the search function.

We'll do our best to try to bring service levels back to normal, but at the moment, we do not have a clear timeframe.

We appreciate your understanding through this issue.

:heart:

is this why sometimes the board doesn't register(for lack of a better phrase) the server just shuts you down?

Liquid Karma
12-14-2011, 09:32 PM
The elimination of the search function is like an early xmas present for Lectro and RJ.

OldGoldBeard
12-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Until we can figure out the root cause of the issue, we had to disable to search function, among other things.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/johngb3/vader_NOOOO.jpg

bmoneydeac
12-15-2011, 08:30 AM
how much does the virtualized server cost? i'd certainly be willing to pay a dollar or two a month to have the board at full capacity. don't know how many others are with me on that.

TWDeac
12-15-2011, 08:44 AM
how much does the virtualized server cost? i'd certainly be willing to pay a dollar or two a month to have the board at full capacity. don't know how many others are with me on that.

Entry level, depending on the host, it would cost $40 - $60. We don't need a powerhouse, but we also don't want to worry about running into these types of issues.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I should not not have gone with our current host. They have amazing customer service and support, but they are definitely a high-cost provider. To go with a virtualized server on their hosting, we would be looking at $150 a month. Obviously that an amount that we are prepared to pay at this point.

CheesePritchard
12-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Just out of curiousity, other than the search function what are the other features of this board that contribute to the most CPU usage?

TWDeac
12-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Just out of curiousity, other than the search function what are the other features of this board that contribute to the most CPU usage?

Basically anything that requires a search through our database or active refreshing.

Things like the list of online users at the bottom of the main ogboards page.
Search function.
Viewing last posts by a certain user.
How long the server caches posts.

There are some more that I'm not thinking of at the moment, but you get the picture. It's basically anything that makes the site user-friendly and interactive.

Liquid Karma
12-15-2011, 03:24 PM
I'd pay to keep the search function just so people can continue to club idiots over the head with it.

Turn off the rep system. Require avatards to be much smaller.

TWDeac
12-15-2011, 04:00 PM
We've identified a new host and the admins are discussing possible times to do the transition/update. Hang tight everyone..

Liquid Karma
12-15-2011, 04:28 PM
We've identified a new host and the admins are discussing possible times to do the transition/update. Hang tight everyone..

Christmas morning.

TWDeac
12-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Christmas morning.

:p I don't think TWtoy would be happy with me if I decided to do this then

BigEastDeac
12-15-2011, 05:09 PM
significant decrease in the quality of tags

ellisat2
12-15-2011, 05:21 PM
I agree - take a few days (posters be damned) and move it over to a better company. I'd be willing to scape a few $$ together to float it, also. I think most people who use the site heavily would. Especially at ~$50/month.

Liquid Karma
12-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Let Kanho come back in exchange for a $ donation.

deacvision7
12-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Let Kanho come back in exchange for a $ donation.

I'm not sure any mod here wants to give that psycho their address. I guess we could give him a paypal account to send it to now that I'm thinking about it... but I wanted my initial reaction to the suggestion to stand, so it will.

JDawg
12-16-2011, 10:46 AM
It doesn't work as well, but it still works pretty well. When you're searching for something just put "site:ogboards.com" after the search term in google. Example is tsy pumping his paranormal activies thread- he'd google "paranormal activities site:ogboards.com"

damnit....':o' is ': o' minus the space

RacerDeac
12-16-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure any mod here wants to give that psycho their address. I guess we could give him a paypal account to send it to now that I'm thinking about it... but I wanted my initial reaction to the suggestion to stand, so it will.

If you end up deciding to raise money, it's super easy to create a "Donate" button on paypal that you can have here on the site. :thumbsup:

awakeandready
12-16-2011, 12:08 PM
I'd pay to keep the search function just so people can continue to club idiots over the head with it.

Turn off the rep system. Require avatards to be much smaller.

I like it.

KeystoneDeac10
12-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Pay for ability to rep. Chat thread would make millions for ogboards. Boom. Problem solved

IAppreciateIt
12-16-2011, 02:45 PM
z0mg this is like real life Animal Farm.

DeaconPeach
12-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Pay for ability to rep. Chat thread would make millions for ogboards. Boom. Problem solved

Make it a tiered system:

X cost to pos rep
slightly higher cost to neg rep with your name
next higher cost to neg rep anonymously

rate for a certain # of tags per month. This one could bankrupt Moonz...:thumbsup:

deacvision7
12-16-2011, 03:05 PM
rate for a certain # of tags per month. This one could bankrupt Moonz...:thumbsup:

And a few other posters as well. Moreso lurkers than posters, actually.

ChaosDeac
12-16-2011, 04:07 PM
To raise money, will you have the personal pleas from the boards creator and also some of the most prolific posters?

It works so well and is not annoying in the least bit for Wikipedia.