• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New proposal for non-Wake sports threads

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
One of the best things about this board is the on-going threads on NFL, MLB, soccer, and other popular sports topics. Unfortunately, one of the worst things is that people who don't follow those threads don't get to see the news that would be of broader interest unless the thread starter is proactive about editing the thread title to reflect new info.

If the mods are up to it, here is my proposal. I think a good compromise would be that the on-going threads be for general discussion. When big news happens like a major trade or suspension or something like that, people should feel free to start a thread about it so more of us can know about it and to discuss that topic specifically.

After that thread has run its course as determined by the mods, they can just add it to the ongoing thread.

So let's say for example, Dwight Howard gets traded to the Nets. Jaybone hears the news first and starts a thread titled "NBA - Dwight Howard Traded to Nets". We discuss that trade for 3 days and after it falls off the first page or so, the mods can just add it to the 2011-12 NBA thread at their discretion.

This keeps the board clean but makes sure we can spread info effectively.

New threads are the best. Don't care if they later get merged.

+1

Proposal makes sense. In my case, I don't look at NBA, NFL, MLB, and soccer threads. Rarely look at Panther threads. But breaking news is interesting. Someone posted yesterday about Ish being waived then started apologizing about it. That's good info about a noteworthy Wake player and worthy of a thread.

I like the idea, because sometimes I am curious if people are discussing something new, but I'm not going to sort through a 30 page thread just to see if it's in there.

Its the internet. If you can't find something, try looking for it.

Wait a minute ... you mean that something other than soccer gets discussed over here?

I like the idea. I dont see why anybody would be against starting a new thread with latest news. Who the hell wants to dig through 30+ pages to find a story to discuss. Besides, anytime I see a thread over 20 pages I automatically assume whatever is being discussed by that point has absolutely nothing to do with the thread title.

+1

Proposal makes sense. In my case, I don't look at NBA, NFL, MLB, and soccer threads. Rarely look at Panther threads. But breaking news is interesting. Someone posted yesterday about Ish being waived then started apologizing about it. That's good info about a noteworthy Wake player and worthy of a thread.

So what do you look at on a sports board? just wake and nascar? Tough sports life... pos rep to you, chin up buddy

My personal opinion is that those threads w/ big news should be started separately. I don't think they should be merged though when they reach the end of their life.

Also, if the thread starters on the big threads would be willing to change their titles to indicate big news, that would be another solution.

So what do you look at on a sports board? just wake and nascar? Tough sports life... pos rep to you, chin up buddy

Definitely not Nascar. College football and hoops, keeping an eye on just about everybody, and pro golf. Beyond that, not enough time for anything else. Thanks for the pos rep and the thing about the chin.

Back