• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do you believe Ron Wellman should be fired?

Do you believe Ron Wellman should be fired?

• Total voters

Deacsfan27

Reaction score
Several options to tell more than just yes/no.

If you think yes then it would be nice to have an explanation of sorts in the thread, but that's up to you.

Last edited:
Only if he stays with [Redacted] too long (ie, more than 3 years) if the basketball team is still sub 0.500 at the time and not even sniffing a postseason tournament.

I voted he can stay as long as he wants... because I bet he actually can. He won't leave unless he gets something cushier or there is a scandal.

I think the only really fireable thing he's done was hire a friend without a real search.

I said if/when [Redacted] is fired because I fear/believe that Ron will hang on to this pipe dream for a few years too many.

He'll either retire here or replace Swofford as ACC Commisioner when he steps down.

I said no, but I am not particularly happy with the direction of several of our athletic programs.

Didn't see an option I was comfortable with since I don't know the inner workings of his department. At least, he should have more oversight on him and less power overall in light of his most recent major hire. College sports is big business whoever runs the show is going to to cater to the big money crowd so what difference does make to the rest of us?

Yes, he should be fired a few years down the road if the basketball program (the flagship program) isn't turned around.

Yeah, get rid of the guy. Bzzz is inexcusable (if he doesn't pan out) and we've needed a new offensive coordinator in football for a few years now

Needs to be an option for "On the hot seat, depending on how the next 1-2 years go, may need to be let go in the future."

Saying he hasn't done anything to warrant firing and he can stay as long as he wants aren't enough options/reasons NOT to fire him.

Football

Even with Lobo saves him. As much as many see not getting full potential, plenty of others can correctly say this is the best span of football in our history. Could it be better? Yes? But it is the best.

Bzd should never have happened. A guy with a losing record hired to be our coach.. WTH? No choice to but to let go yr 1. I really thought Bzd should be fired after that. Ok. Here we are in 2. How close to a bubble team we are this year will say a lot.

By bubble I mean nit or cbi

Last edited:
Even with Lobo saves him. As much as many see not getting full potential, plenty of others can correctly say this is the best span of football in our history. Could it be better? Yes? But it is the best.

Bzd should never have happened. A guy with a losing record hired to be our coach.. WTH? No choice to but to let go yr 1. I really thought Bzd should be fired after that. Ok. Here we are in 2. How close to a bubble team we are this year will say a lot.

This year? We don't have the talent to be anywhere near the bubble. Next year will be the key year for Bzzzz. Hopefully we can get 4 or so ACC wins to build some mo for next year.

I voted No. I am going to repost here what I posted in the other thread.

An AD does more that just hire and fire. Wellman is responsible for the awesomeness that is Deacon Tower, the score board, etc. Opposing fans come and rave about Groves Stadium. That did not happen before Wellman. Grobe and Prosser were great hires. Gaudio was the correct hire at the time, although he was obviously not a correct fit.

I am BuzzWaitandSee, but I like the effort we are seeing out of the guys this year. I am also optimistic with the recruiting. I think we need to be in the top half of the ACC next year and top third the following year.

It is also hard for me to complain about Wellman when you see what a mess a school like MD is in. Md has far more students, alumni and support than Wake. They are operating at a loss, cutting programs and everyone universally hates their FB coach, including their players. They are going to be a bottom dweller for the foreseeable future.

Wake has numerous factors working against it (size, proximity to other BCS schools, high academic standards), and I think that Wellman has done a tremendous job within those constraints. For example, look at NC State. They have tremendous facilities, tremendous alumni support and we have continually beat them in Winston. We won a GD ACC title in 2006. State, with all of its support, hasn't won one since 1979.

I voted no but agree that the next few years will be telling. However, it seems like many of the posters I generally see calling for his firing are the younger Deac fans and didn't see a lot of the stuff he has done, especially early on in his time. Spry Stadium, the hiring of Skip and Grobe, the improvements to the golf team's training facilities, Miller Athletic center, and a whole lot of other stuff. He's an athletics director, not just a football and basketball director. I do recognize, though, those are the two spotlight sports. However, football has been better than it has in a long time. Just because we don't duplicate the 2006 season doesn't mean football is suffering. As for basketball, the program is hurting right now but you also have to give your hire a chance to build his program, meaning you give him 3-4 years. If basketball is still in the same shape in 2 more years and Bz doesn't get fired, then Wellman's job status needs to be reexamined. But to say he needs to be fired just because you don't like the coach he hired is not enough. I would respect him less if he caved to pressure instead of showing some loyalty to the people he hired. Of course, loyalty has never been valued much on this board. As for Lobo, that's more of a Grobe issue. Gorbe is extremely loyal to his assistants and if Wellman ordered Grobe to get rid of Lobo, then we'd probably be saying goodbye to Grobe as well.

I voted no but agree that the next few years will be telling. However, it seems like many of the posters I generally see calling for his firing are the younger Deac fans and didn't see a lot of the stuff he has done, especially early on in his time. Spry Stadium, the hiring of Skip and Grobe, the improvements to the golf team's training facilities, Miller Athletic center, and a whole lot of other stuff. He's an athletics director, not just a football and basketball director. I do recognize, though, those are the two spotlight sports. However, football has been better than it has in a long time. Just because we don't duplicate the 2006 season doesn't mean football is suffering. As for basketball, the program is hurting right now but you also have to give your hire a chance to build his program, meaning you give him 3-4 years. If basketball is still in the same shape in 2 more years and Bz doesn't get fired, then Wellman's job status needs to be reexamined. But to say he needs to be fired just because you don't like the coach he hired is not enough. I would respect him less if he caved to pressure instead of showing some loyalty to the people he hired. Of course, loyalty has never been valued much on this board. As for Lobo, that's more of a Grobe issue. Gorbe is extremely loyal to his assistants and if Wellman ordered Grobe to get rid of Lobo, then we'd probably be saying goodbye to Grobe as well.

Almost exactly this. [Redacted] should never have been hired, but that is not enough to get Wellman fired. If [Redacted] keeps our basketball program in the bottom of the ACC and Wellman refuses to fire him, then we'll need to reconsider. I'd like to see some of the other sports that are traditionally bottom feeders do better also, but football and basketball results are the only ones that really matter for his job, provided there are no major scandals.

No, but I really hope he doesn't have too much pride to let Bz go if we don't start seeing good things consistently at this time next year.

Or if we finish below BC this year in conference.

Nail on the head. Great post.

Back