• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do you think Wellman is doing a good job? Should he be fired?

Do you think Wellman is doing a good job? Should he be fired?

• Total voters

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
Two questions to get a better sense of board opinion than just a firing question.

I don't think DV7 should be fired as mod but he should be put on probation and required to take a class.

I think he's doing a good job thus far over all and should not be fired. Great job? No. The BB hire was and is a disaster.

I would argue that there is still not a middle of the road answer here. I think a lot of people aren't sure how good the job he is doing is.

Great and poor don't leave much room to wiggle in the middle. I don't think he is doing a "great" job, especially recently. I think he is doing an above average job (and has done so for much of his career at Wake Forest), so I went with great.

Bottom line for me is - fix the mess he made with the BB program and fast. If he sticks with Bzz and remains competitve with teams the likes of High Point instead of hammering them by 30, year in and year out, he should be shown the door.

Unfortunately, I have this feeling that he will be remembered for the disastrous hire of Bzzz. And 2 years from now when we still suck in BB, bye-bye RW!

I would argue that there is still not a middle of the road answer here. I think a lot of people aren't sure how good the job he is doing is.

Great and poor don't leave much room to wiggle in the middle. I don't think he is doing a "great" job, especially recently. I think he is doing an above average job (and has done so for much of his career at Wake Forest), so I went with great.

This sums up my feelings as well. An AD does more that just hire and fire. Wellman is responsible for the awesomeness that is Deacon Tower, the score board, etc. Opposing fans come and rave about Groves Stadium. That did not happen before Wellman. Grobe and Prosser were great hires. Gaudio was the correct hire at the time, although he was obviously not a correct fit.

I am BuzzWaitandSee, but I like the effort we are seeing out of the guys this year. I am also optimistic with the recruiting. I think we need to be in the top half of the ACC next year and top third the following year.

It is also hard for me to complain about Wellman when you see what a mess a school like MD is in. Md has far more students, alumni and support than Wake. They are operating at a loss, cutting programs and everyone universally hates their FB coach, including their players. They are going to be a bottom dweller for the foreseeable future.

Wake has numerous factors working against it (size, proximity to other BCS schools, high academic standards), and I think that Wellman has done a tremendous job within those constraints. For example, look at NC State. They have tremendous facilities, tremendous alumni support and we have continually beat them in Winston. We won a GD ACC title in 2006. State, with all of its support, hasn't won one since 1979.

Last edited:

Similar to this. I think overall he is doing a good job but the current state of WF basketball (the flagship program) has shown some poor management. So I went with poor since I viewed that as the in-between for "great" and "should be fired" and his mismanagement has been with the most important (or second most) program.

Talks of firing wellman make no sense to me. Zero.

He has done great things for fundraising and facilities. In the two biggest revenue sports, he has hired Caldwell (fail, though about as good a hire as could be expected then) and Grobe (hire on par with Caldwell that proved to be a great success).

In hoops, he hired Skip (success), Dino (failure, but understandable hire), and Bzzz (thus far a complete disaster).

In the lesser revenue sports, I think he has been pretty successful, though I've heard people bitch on here about his hires within the baseball program.

Really, if it weren't for his bungling of the Buzz hire, this thread wouldn't exist.

Poor. The basketball program has been mismanaged, and it's the most important part of the department.

This sums up my feelings as well. An AD does more that just hire and fire. Wellman is responsible for the awesomeness that is Deacon Tower, the score board, etc. Opposing fans come and rave about Groves Stadium. That did not happen before Wellman. Grobe and Prosser were great hires. Gaudio was the correct hire at the time, although he was obviously not a correct fit.

I am BuzzWaitandSee, but I like the effort we are seeing out of the guys this year. I am also optimistic with the recruiting. I think we need to be in the top half of the ACC next year and top third the following year.

It is also hard for me to complain about Wellman when you see what a mess a school like MD is in. Md has far more students, alumni and support than Wake. They are operating at a loss, cutting programs and everyone universally hates their FB coach, including their players. They are going to be a bottom dweller for the foreseeable future.

Wake has numerous factors working against it (size, proximity to other BCS schools, high academic standards), and I think that Wellman has done a tremendous job within those constraints. For example, look at NC State. They have tremendous facilities, tremendous alumni support and we have continually beat them in Winston. We won a GD ACC title in 2006. State, with all of its support, hasn't won one since 1979.

this is correct.

Back