• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do you think Wellman should have done better than Bz when hiring new coach?

Yes or No

• Yes

Votes: 155 93.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 6.6%

• Total voters
If anyone says no I'm going to go ahead and say they probably aren't a Wake fan.

So there are 2 idiots/jokers already. Poll should have been public.

That Ron Wellman is not infallible. It would seem more than a few folks on the other poll behave as if he is.

You do realize that the two polls address very different issues dont you?

And of course, no one is infallible. Thinking someone should not be fired is not equivalent to thinking they are infallible.

You do realize that the two polls address very different issues dont you?

And of course, no one is infallible. Thinking someone should not be fired is not equivalent to thinking they are infallible.

Those people who voted "He can stay as long as he wants" might not consider him infallible but they might as well since they're saying there's nothing he can do that should get him fired. And I like a lot of the folks who voted that way. WTF Dirk?! I know you're a big fan of Grobe, so am I, but damn.

Keeper is a given. Not sure about the second.

Wasn't me, haven't voted, and won't.

When you say he should've done better than hiring Buzz, that's a tricky scenario when put in context. Dino was fired in April, pretty much after the coaching carousel had completed its run. Nearly all firings take place in early March when there's time for an AD to study the list of coaches rising from the mid-major level.

Granted, you'd think that all ADs have a list in their desk of coaching candidates to consider should the need arise, but from the looks of things, Wellman didn't have a list, no longer liked those at the top of the list, or couldn't hire them.

What I think about the Buzz issue, leaving the "acquaintance" at Northwestern aspect out of it, is Wellman thought Buzz would be a safe hire. He thought he could sell the idea that Buzz had a strong x and o background with all the years as part of the NBA, that he had won big at a school with a reputation for rarely winning at all(AFA,) that things were looking up at a downtrodden BCS school. I also think the way his Air Force team played against Wake had to impress him.

If you could find a tape of that game you'd see an offensive clinic put on by AFA. They back doored us at will and had open three pt. shots all night long, many of which they made.

You can say that our team wasn't as good as we thought it would be, that it was a tough road trip, that it was at altitude and all that, but AFA hammered a handful of BCS teams that year, teams with good reputations.

I'm saying I don't think Wellman had much to choose from at the time, and thought he had sufficient cover to bring in buzz.

Note: This post contains no attempt to offer an opinion on buzzin/out.

Last edited:
This is a question which logically can be only answered with a yes, even if one believes that Ron did an outstanding job in hiring Jeff. Could your spouse have done better than marrying you? Could your boss have done better than hiring you? Of course the answer is yes. Everything could have been done better in life.

When you say he should've done better than hiring Buzz, that's a tricky scenario when put in context. Dino was fired in April, pretty much after the coaching carousel had completed its run. Nearly all firings take place in early March when there's time for an AD to study the list of coaches rising from the mid-major level.

Granted, you'd think that all ADs have a list in their desk of coaching candidates to consider should the need arise, but from the looks of things, Wellman didn't have a list, no longer liked those at the top of the list, or couldn't hire them.

What I think about the Buzz issue, leaving the "acquaintance" at Northwestern aspect out of it, is Wellman thought Buzz would be a safe hire. He thought he could sell the idea that Buzz had a strong x and o background with all the years as part of the NBA, that he had won big at a school with a reputation for rarely winning at all(AFA,) that things were looking up at a downtrodden BCS school. I also think the way his Air Force team played against Wake had to impress him.

If you could find a tape of that game you'd see an offensive clinic put on by AFA. They back doored us at will and had open three pt. shots all night long, many of which they made.

You can say that our team wasn't as good as we thought it would be, that it was a tough road trip, that it was at altitude and all that, but AFA hammered a handful of BCS teams that year, teams with good reputations.

I'm saying I don't think Wellman had much to choose from at the time, and thought he had sufficient cover to bring in buzz.

They won 1 game against a top-50 team in '06-'07... (#42, kenpom) UNLV by 6; the same team they later lost to by 10 (which was part of their 4 game losing streak in 'late February, early march' to end their season before the NIT-bid; the same weeks of season that Wellman mentioned in his reasons for firing Gaudio).

Let's not act like Wellman's choice of Bz was more thought out than it was.

Last edited:

Wellman chose when to fire Dino. He could've done it at any point. Blaming the timing is a terrible excuse.

Back