• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Roster Breakdowm

Deacsfan27

Reaction score
Took a good look at our future roster and what we can expect for the next 4-5 years in terms of players. This provides a clear picture of who we have at what position, as well as how many scholarships we can offer. Enjoy!

Future Roster Breakdown

What's the word on Fields and where he is from a basketball perspective? Can he provide meaningful minutes next year?

I'm still not sure TC will get the nod over CJ. It is definitely there for Fields to take plenty of minutes if he can be the facilitator we need.

Are the orders in predicted number of minutes or just random? Because it seems pretty damn unlikely that freshman Washington will start over junior Carson.

I would be surprised if CJ doesn't begin the season as our starting PG. Hopefully Fields can take over by midseason.

I've got to believe that CJ will be the starter at the point at the beginning of the season based on the way things looked at the end of this year and with Fields being a freshman. Hopefully TC and/or Fields will step up and push CJ back to the SG spot not too long after the season starts, however I could see CJ getting the majority of the minutes at the point....

I would be surprised if CJ doesn't begin the season as our starting PG. Hopefully Fields can take over by midseason.

Aaron Ingle FTW

CJ played his ass off this season, but he isn't even serviceable at point. If Fields can break a press and make a layup than he needs to start from day 1.

I think Chennault will get 26-28 and Fields will take about 10, then CJ will get the remaining minutes. Depends on how well Fischer plays honestly.

I see Tony coming off the bench. Don't want to think about him getting 28 minutes a game. I'd rather he be a "7th man" type of guy either subbing in for CJ or playing along side him.

Maybe I am just overestimating how much better Chennault will be next year, but I think he will improve by leaps and bounds. I have no idea how Fields will adjust to college but I was not overly impressed with him when I saw him at QEA vs. Oak Ridge, could just be me though.

FYI...the players are not listed in any order under positions, just as I thought of them.

I will be shocked if our starters to open the season aren't C.J., JTT, Nikita, Travis, and Carson. Wouldn't surprise me if Chase can push Nikita to the bench eventually, but wouldn't expect any other spots to change, barring injury or academic casualties.

Tony was absolutely terrible last year, now I know he has a lot of excuses, but if he is ever our primary point guard we are in big trouble.

Tony was absolutely terrible last year, now I know he has a lot of excuses, but if he is ever our primary point guard we are in big trouble.

We'll see. It's really tough to judge a kid coming back from those circumstances.

We'll see. It's really tough to judge a kid coming back from those circumstances.

I agree. It is extremely hard to predict how kids come back from frosh to soph years anyway. Late, McKie sort of called him out for being "10 pounds heavier than he should be" so I would expect Tony to come in next year with a slightly leaner body.

Regardless, the point position is wide wide open next year. I think it depends on who will be a leader, control the game, and push the temp in spots when it is to our advantage.

* Tony did not seem to have that type of personality on the court last year as everything seemed like it went 90 miles an hour for him.

* CJ's problem was the direct opposite and everything went to slow through him. He was a steadying influence but he was sometimes down right staid on the court. I will be interested to see if he is a team leader or not next year. I know Ari is his bestest friend.

* Fields got it done in high school, but it remains to be seen if he is Ish or Sham Dukes reincarnate. He is most likely somewhere in between. Ish was a turnover machine his frosh year though ... so I would be surprised if Fields played more than either Tony or CJ at the point.

My hope is that Fischer and JTT use up all 40 points at the 2 and CJ doesn't play there except when we are in a 3 guard lineup and Fisher or JTT is also on the court.

Tony struggled a ton this year, but I'm willing to give it a chance. I think people underrate how much players tend to suck as freshmen. This guy was one of the 2 or 3 best PGs in America this year as a junior, and here were his freshman stats:

13 minutes, 1.6 points, 26% overall 19% from 3, <1rebound, 1.1 assists, 0.5 TOs

Compared with Tony

17 minutes, 4.5 points, 29% overall 14% from 3, 2.5 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 2.4 TOs

First guy did a much better job taking care of the ball but pretty much sucked his freshman season. I'm not saying Tony will turn into him. I doubt he will. But I don't think it's hopeless either.

Last edited:
Nikita was terrible for most of the year as well, then shocked me by turning it on for the final few games. If he can turn it around Tony can as well. The few times Tony played well with CJ at the 2 were easily the best we looked all year.

Still, Nikita as a starter? Scary. I'd certainly prefer a Tony/CJ/JTT/McKie/Carson starting 5. Fields spells Tony, Chase for CJ, Nikita for JTT, Tabb for McKie, and Ty for Carson. That's pretty workable.

PG is a tough position to play to begin with but asking freshman and sophomores to bear the load is nearly impossible except for the truly elite players.

I like TC's attitude and hopefully with a summer where he can get some better playing shape he can provide 20 quality minutes a game and really flourish in his JR adn SR years. For these same reasons, I would not expect much from Fields this year with the PG duties being split between TC and CJ for the most part. Not ideal but getting closer.

If you are a major college basketball player yet have failed by your freshman year to learn not to run straight out of bounds with the ball, or not to dribble it off your own appendages, then I don't think you're going to pick that up between your freshman and sophomore year. Those aren't problems relating to injury or conditioning in any way.

Chennault must have led the ACC in missed layups and in-and-out 3 pointers.

Those will start falling next year. He has the handle and moves inside to put up 12 and 6 every game next year. His next step is a much smaller one than most other guys on the team that struggled this year.

We simply have to get CJ away from point though.

Back