• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spring 2013 All-ACC Big Men

stonz

Reaction score
This might seem like a stupid thread to have right now, but I got into a discussion about this earlier today, and really struggled to come up with an answer.

Last year's All-ACC Bigs:
Jordan Williams (1st team)
Tyler Zeller (2nd)
John Henson (2nd)
Jeff Allen (2nd)
Chris Singleton (3rd)
Reggie Johnson (HM)
Tracy Smith (HM)
Mason Plumlee (HM)

Most of that list is already gone. By next year, I think Reggie Johnson will be the only one left (and its possible he's gone too).

The only "bigs" on the all-freshman team were Travis and CJ Leslie. Leslie will be gone, and Travis is a 3/4, not a 4/5.

Most of the guys in contention (or even just getting significant minutes) this year will be gone next year: Duke is going to lose Mason and Miles Plumlee. Carolina is losing Zeller, almost definitely Henson, and possibly McAdoo as well. FSU loses James and Gibson. UVA loses Scott and Sene. NCSt is probably going to lose Leslie.

And then factor in: VT doesn't really have a center (or even a F/C). BC doesn't have any good players, period. Miami has no one behind Reggie (that I can think of).

So who's left?

Reggie Johnson (maybe)
James McAdoo (maybe)
Deshawn Painter
Devin Booker
Daniel Miller
James Padgett
I can't think of any other quality bigs in the ACC right now.

Maryland has Shaq Cleare coming in. Duke could get a stud like Tony Parker. But that's about it as far as immediate-impact big-men recruits. (Edit: Robert Carter should be included here as well).

Again, I know this is pretty far into the future. I'm sure someone (or a couple guys) are going to blow up and become quality ACC bigs. But right now I can't get over how weak the ACC looks inside. Am I missing something?

Which bigs are going to make the All-ACC teams next season?

Last edited:
So you're saying we don't need to rebound offensively?

I know this deviates from what most people think, but I really believe that Carson will develop into a quality 5. He may not be the "big man" that people think of, but if he is playing well enough he could definitely get 3rd team or next year based on the lack of depth that you mentioned already.

The opportunity is definitely there for him.

I don't want this to become a "Will Carson make all-ACC?" thread though. I'd like to hear more about the other options...I know I'm forgetting some possibilities.

Lol. My point exactly. The ACC voters might have to put together some 5-guard lineups next year.

I actually did think of him...thought he was a 4 for some reason though. Had no idea he's 6'9 245. Thanks for bringing him up.

Is he projected to start next year? Who would he replace?

Lol. My point exactly. The ACC voters might have to put together some 5-guard lineups next year.

That's not unusual though. I'm not sure if you're suggesting that All-ACC votes are by position.

Absolutely zero chance on Padgett.

The All-ACC list is 15 people. stonz said "5-guard lineups".

That's not unusual though. I'm not sure if you're suggesting that All-ACC votes are by position.

It's not strictly by position of course, but normally it does work out that way.

In some sense, it is a zero-sum game. There are going to be some good centers (and F/Cs) next year in the ACC. It's just really unclear who they are going to be. That's what this thread is intended to discuss.

Absolutely zero chance on Padgett.

Yea I thought about leaving him off. He's been decent this year though hasn't he? I haven't seen MD at all yet.. looks like Pankey has played well too. I know some MD fans are really excited about the Euro...what do you think?

Last edited:
It's not strictly by position of course, but normally it does work out that way.

In some sense, it is a zero-sum game. There are going to be some good centers (and F/Cs) next year in the ACC. It's just really unclear who they are going to be. That's what this thread is intended to discuss.

Yea I thought about leaving him off. He's been decent this year though hasn't he? I haven't seen MD at all yet.. looks like Pankey has played well too. I know some MD fans are really excited about the Euro...what do you think?

Agreed. The idea that there won't be any is absurd.

Yea...me and doofus were mostly kidding.

Agreed. The idea that there won't be any is absurd.

Clearly somebody will fill that void. It's just very unclear at this juncture who it will be, when most of the time we can at least see who is likely to step in a fill the spot.

If I had to put money on one Maryland big next year it would be Len. I really don't know what to expect out of him in games but he looks extremely athletic and fluid and he's a legit 7-1 or so. Plus he can shoot a little.

Or he could just be a turd.

There's Milton Jennings and Devin Booker from Clemson....they're both pretty solid but nothing special. They're both juniors, and big improvements without an increase in usage rate isn't really common for upperclassmen. Dorian Finney-Smith from VT is gonna be pretty special, I think. Daniel Miller from GT could be pretty good, too. Idk.....

Back