• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should the NCAA let St. Joe's hold O'Brien's release hostage?

What a douche. Hope it works out for the player.

Yeah I read something about this at the beginning of the year. I seem to remember Martelli saying "it's not up to me" or something like that, but the administration said it's entirely up to Martelli.

sounds like a coach totally insecure about himself and his poor records lately and trying to pin it on anyone else. Great that he's now getting bad press for it

Give me a break. The kid is just jumping ship left and right to try and find some playing time. Essential values such as loyalty and perseverance are clearly lacking in him.

Hopefully he can learn from this.

The article was written by O'Brien, so it's no surprise he fails to mention what got him in hot water at St. Joe's to begin with.

That being said, Martelli will always be a huge boob.

Give me a break. The kid is just jumping ship left and right to try and find some playing time. Essential values such as loyalty and perseverance are clearly lacking in him.

+1

uh, so he should ride the pine for the last year rather than find a way to do what he loves? isn't that the opposite of perseverance?

If he wasn't going to play at St. Joe and UAB doesn't play St. Joe then why should St. Joe even get a say here? Seems like St. Joe made a decision to go young, so the kid decided to go somewhere he would play. He graduated and used the same rule dozens of other players have used. Y'loo used it to move to WVU from here, and very few were angry at him.

The article was written by O'Brien, so it's no surprise he fails to mention what got him in hot water at St. Joe's to begin with.

That being said, Martelli will always be a huge boob.

This is the first I've read on the issue. Is there more to the story?

uh, so he should ride the pine for the last year rather than find a way to do what he loves? isn't that the opposite of perseverance?

Given that St. Joe's upheld their end of the bargain and paid for his education, then yes he should honor his commitment to them even if it means he has to endure less playing time.

Given that St. Joe's upheld their end of the bargain and paid for his education, then yes he should honor his commitment to them even if it means he has to endure less playing time.

aren't scholarships renewed on an annual basis? it's not normal but both sides could choose to not renew the agreement.

Didn't he already endure less playing time during the stretch by which St. Joe's paid for his education?

Back