• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC NCAA Tournament Bids (NWT... kinda)

WFUtoUSC

Reaction score
My Dad and I are in the middle of a debate about how many NCAA tournament bids the ACC will get this year. He thinks (1) that the ACC will get 6 teams into the tournament this year and (2) that Wake will be one of them. I think that (1) he's been hitting the sauce a little hard and (2) that the ACC will get 5 teams into the tournament (UNC, Puke, UVA, VT, FSU)

So this debate got me thinking: what do the board's think about this diluted ACC and the NCCA tournament and does anyone think that Wake can make the tournament?

NOTE: he (my dad) does not follow college basketball very closely until after the first of the year and admits to having not watched a single Wake game, in its entirety this year.

Is this the year when there will be 128 teams? Any chance VT will be snubbed regardless so we can hear Greenberg complain?

I don't think Wake will win more than 3 conference games, so I doubt we make it.

I thought you were going to ask how much you should bet your dad.

Locks:
Carolina
Duke

Likely In:
Virginia
Florida St

Bubblicious:
Virginia Tech

Fringe Possibilities:
State
Georgia Tech
Miami
Clemson

No Shot:
Maryland
Wake Forest
Boston College

Clemson shot themselves in the foot today with a bad loss to UTEP and State has missed several opportunities to get a big time win.

I think we get 4 in and VPI fades down the stretch to be on the outside of the bubble, but still be technically "snubbed"

ETA: Wake has a better shot of going winless in the conference than making the tournament

FSU is getting creamed by Fla late in the first half. Where is Ian Miller this season?

Locks:
Carolina
Duke

Likely In:
Virginia
Florida St

Bubblicious:
Virginia Tech

Fringe Possibilities:
State
Georgia Tech
Miami
Clemson

No Shot:
Maryland
Wake Forest
Boston College

This looks about right by me; we have no shot.

FSU has narrowed the gap. Also, Ian Miller is in the game. His first one I believe.

Now that Reggie Johnson is back, I would upgrade Miami's chances.

Well Ga Tech just lost to Mercer I believe. I would put them firmly in the No Shot category.

Your dad sounds like a fun guy. I'd like to hear him handicap the race for the Republican nomination.

Dreadful conference. Dreadful. ACC football and basketball are closer in caliber than anyone wants to admit, and not in the positive sense. Eventually, some school in the ACC not named Duke or Carolina will make a coaching hire with some ballsack.

I think it will be six, maybe 7...Miami getting back Johnson will mean a lot...
FSU has been dissapointing. but the top 7 will make mincemeat of WFU, GT, BC, Clemson:

IN:
Duke
UNC
VT
UVa
Miami
NC State
FSU

Remember the Pac12 is terrible, and the Big East is down as well.....

VPI is gonna be hurt by their early conference road loss to Wake. Wake's gonna get off to a 2-0 conference start and the boards are going to explode because we're going to be 11-5 or 12-4

neither FSU or State are even close based on YTD performance. State maybe a little closer than FSU.

neither FSU or State are even close based on YTD performance. State maybe a little closer than FSU.

I am just hoping for a high NIT seed. We simply do not have the horses to make the Dance. On our prediction thread, I have us 7-9 in conference play.

Back