• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Sox

discdude

Lampin in the cut
Reaction score
The Red Sox 2011 Official Thread

Beckett looked good tonight. A promising close to spring training. Hopefully there are some other Sox fans out there to chat with throughout the season

Last edited:
Interesting, I didn't think the 3-0 loss to the Dash was all that promising. Gordon did look good walking to first base in the first inning though.

beckett did look solid hopefully he is at least decent this year. dice-k's last few starts have been good too.

I'm a sox fan but living in nc i don't get too many people to talk with them about. I'm going to try to follow them a little closer this year than last.

I saw the recap on the game last night. Anything exciting happen? Anyone go?

Dan Butler's homer in the 9th off of Chacin was pretty cool. Apparently his family drove 18 hours from Arizona to Houston just to be there the first time he played in a big league game in a big league park (granted, it was an exhibition, but he was a backup catcher at the U of Arizona and was undrafted coming out of college). He hit a bomb off of the railroad tracks and got mobbed in the dugout by the rest of the team. Awesome.

I'm still a little concerned that the Sox are too left-handed in the lineup, but I'm thinking that Cameron, Lowrie, and McDonald will get plenty of at bats against lefties.

Dice-K is available in my fantasy league. Sox fans, should I pick him up yes or no? I could use starting pitching help.

Dice-K's fastball was much sharper his last two spring training starts. He started the spring pretty roughly but came around recently. Bottom line is that you really don't know what you're going to get from him. I can't imagine he'd be expensive to acquire, so if you can get him cheap, why not?

opening day for the sawx, skipping out at work of 345 to get home to watch the game.

Also, Mike Cameron's thoughts on playing Opening day:
"I'm grateful, very grateful,'' he said. ``Just to still be able to play on Opening Day, it still takes you back when you were a little kid. Some guys don't sleep well. You get up early in the morning because you're anxious to get over to the park and get your uniform on. I'm always grateful just to be able to walk into a big league clubhouse and see my name on the back of the jersey. I think that's special in itself. It's just as fun for me when I walked in there when I was 22 as it is now when I'm 38.''

Now JD Drew's
"Listen, I've played long enough and I understand that Opening Day is a great day, a lot of fun, the festitivities and a chance for everybody to work into a new season. But, ultimately, it's a very magnified day in the scheme of a long, long season and that's what I kind of reflected on when I talked to him about it.

``I just put the ball in his(francona's) park and let him know that I wasn't the kind of guy who was going to blow up and look at it as a slight, by no means.''

anything to get another off day for jd

^Ditto on skipping out of work early.

Papelbon's the man, but does anyone else think he might be gone by the trade deadline? His performance trajectory the last two seasons hasn't been promising, and with the added depth in the bullpen this year I have to imagine he'll be on a shorter leash.

Papelbon's the man, but does anyone else think he might be gone by the trade deadline? His performance trajectory the last two seasons hasn't been promising, and with the added depth in the bullpen this year I have to imagine he'll be on a shorter leash.

Yea, with Bard having gotten more experience last year, it just seems like trading Papelbon would be the right move. Some team is going to offer him a good amount of money next offseason anyways, and I doubt the Sox will want to match it.

It will be interesting to see how they use Papelbon this year. I want to see Bard getting more closing opportunities, but we could build up Papelbon's trade value by using him more.

IMO, I think we get off to a rocky start but become a machine in June.
I also think the starting rotation will do what we thought they would do last year.
I love that speed in the outfield!!!!

I think trading papelbon is a bad idea, his making a ton of money and you arent going to get that much for him, particularly because teams know the sox dont want him. Even if he is only as good as last year that is still a solid reliever. They are better off having 3 good relievers than 2, even if the best one isnt closing. I would just let him walk at the end of the year and take the draft picks.

All of ESPN's 40+ experts picked the Red Sox to win their division, and almost all of them had the Red Sox in the WS/winning it.

I see the fellatio has started early.

RED SOX (0-0)
2 Jacoby Ellsbury CF
14 Dustin Pedroia 2B
13 Carl Crawford LF
20 Kevin Youkilis 3B
28 Adrian Gonzalez 1B
34 David Ortiz DH
23 Mike Cameron RF
39 Jarrod Saltalamacchia C
10 Marco Scutaro SS

lineup today, i assume when we see a right youkilis and gonzalez will flip flop.

Definitely on a short leash. He looked good in Houston but horrible during ST. He is a head case and needs that "hype" of a real game to get him going so hopefully he turns it on from today on. If not, Bard is lurking.

tough loss. papi's smack got me up but quickly deflated thereafter

Good debut for A Gon, 3 RBI. Not so much for Crawford, 0-4 with 3 Ks

Back