• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Price or Skinner?

Who is the better football player?

• Skinner is a winner!!

Votes: 148 68.8%
  • The Price is right!!

Votes: 67 31.2%

• Total voters

dmcheatw

Reaction score
Who do you think is the better football player?

That's tough...I think in terms of just being a quarterback and not taking into consideration winning games or ability to create drives late in the game it's Tanner.

I think Price has some things to improve one of course but I'd still say comparing Price now as a sophomore to my memory of Skinner as a sophomore I think Price is better.

i kinda meant more skinners senior year skills vs price's present skills. i think as sophmores most would say tanner is better.

tanner gets more opportunity to shine as a sophomore than skinner ever did. I remember when we won the eagle bank bowl he went something like 11/11 and we just ran the ball the entire game, with skinner bailing us out whenever we had to get a long gain. the coaching staff has become alot more liberal as of late. I bet it pisses skinner off when he watches our games...

Price is a better quarterback than Skinner was. But Price is also in a considerably more pass-friendly offense than Skinner was in, so it's hard to really evaluate. Skinner was obviously great, and he helped progress the program as few individual players have. But Price has the potential to be the best QB we've ever had. (And with a bit of improvement, he could actually profile as an NFL QB.)

Too early to make a comparison.............ask me again in a year or so

tanner gets more opportunity to shine as a sophomore than skinner ever did. I remember when we won the eagle bank bowl he went something like 11/11 and we just ran the ball the entire game, with skinner bailing us out whenever we had to get a long gain. the coaching staff has become alot more liberal as of late. I bet it pisses skinner off when he watches our games...

By the same token, Tanner has to perform snap after snap and can't rely on a rock solid defense if he does mess up.

I think it's hard to say now and that it will always be hard to say. Now if we had been running the offense we should have been running throughout Riley's senior year it would be easier to say.

I can remember many late comebacks orchestrated by Skinner. I'm not sure Tanner has the same resume in that sense.

Of course, maybe if Riley had been a better QB we wouldn't have needed to come back from behind so many times.

Riley "Cock Shot" Skinner vs. Tanner "The Texas Gunslinger" Price.

Its a tough matchup but I have to go with Riley because of his late game comebacks, great hair and ability to have nude pictures enhance his star status at Wake Forest. Thats really the trifecta right there.

Price.

Skinner is one of favorite Deacons, ever... but I think that Price is more skilled.

Totally different teams and thus expectations of the two QB's.

Skinner had a defense on the other side of the ball that was pure NFL. heck, the 2006 team just had to run and not turn it over. In 2009 when that talent was basically gone, Skinner showed his true passing skills which were considerable but it was the first season Lobo had to orient an entire offense around the pass.

Price was brought in to pass the ball, not take care of it so the defense can score as needed (an exaggeration). Price is excellent as was Riley. Time will tell but I am thrilled with Price now as I was with Skinner then.

Totally different teams and thus expectations of the two QB's.

Skinner had a defense on the other side of the ball that was pure NFL. heck, the 2006 team just had to run and not turn it over. In 2009 when that talent was basically gone, Skinner showed his true passing skills which were considerable but it was the first season Lobo had to orient an entire offense around the pass.

Price was brought in to pass the ball, not take care of it so the defense can score as needed (an exaggeration). Price is excellent as was Riley. Time will tell but I am thrilled with Price now as I was with Skinner then.

This. The 2006-08 defenses was probably the best in school history. Tanner does not have that luxury and defense wins championships as evidenced by our championship. I do not believe that this years O would have been held to 9 pts. All the to created by that d allowed Skinner to play a little looser have a little better field position. Plus our punting and fg situations was better then as well.

Combine the 06 D and special teams with this years O and you have a team capable of beating anyone.

The only thing I said last year that Riley had on Tanner was pocket presence and Tanner closed that gap a lot this year and should be up to Riley's level by next year.

Riley's best season

264 400 66.0 3160 7.9 25 80 12 147.0

Tanner's numbers this year

229 376 2803 60.9 7.46 79 20 6 28 137.9

Price.

Skinner is one of favorite Deacons, ever... but I think that Price is more skilled.

This.

Skinner had some very good defenses at Wake. And to those saying Skinner didn't have the same chance to shine, ever consider the idea that the coaches opened up the passing playbook because they have a better passer in Price?

Eta: counterargument - Chris Givens

Last edited:
Back