• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Virginia losing two transfers

Harrell is by far the worst offensive player that UVA had, and I don't think Johnson even plays does he?

Addition by subtraction methinks. Pretty sure that Johnson is a redshirt this year.

James Johnson didn't play (RS freshman) and KT Harrell was 7th in their rotation. Still they were both highly rated recruits and the 3rd and 4th transfers out of their 2010 6-man class. 7 transfers overall since Bennett took over in 2009.

KT Harrell was going to be a good one, i found it odd that Bennett didn't want to play him.

KT Harrell...JT Terrell....weird.

I just don't think he bought into the team defensive scheme if I had to guess.

I just don't think he bought into the team defensive scheme if I had to guess.

Surprising too since I'm pretty sure Harrell was extremely well regarded as a defender coming out of HS. One would think that would be what he would gravitate to in college and then let the offense come as he matured. College kids obviously don't make the soundest of decisions though haha.

KT Harrell was going to be a good one, i found it odd that Bennett didn't want to play him.

Agreed. I watched him play a lot last year and a few times this year and couldn't really figure out what was going on... Sure, he wasn't making shots and by the numbers he was pretty bad, but his role was absolutely decimated where a lot of people thought that he would have a breakout year. He was a knockdown shooter as a freshman and had a very rounded mid-range game, too.

Does anybody know whether or not UVA has a policy against intra-conference transfers? We could really use both of these guys...

Also, these transfers (Regan, Johnson, Harrell, etc.) seem motivated by a combination of lack of playing time and distance from family. Just a thought, but I remember reading about how Harrell grew up in a REALLY tight-knit family and committing to UVA over Alabama or Auburn was a really big deal for him. Regan is from Buffalo and transferred closer to home and Johnson is from California.

So, I'm not sure this is all on Bennett..

Or not necessarily from the guys "not buying in" as well

Agreed. I just think that, on the whole, fans are f**king idiots and would rather blame a coach (who is doing a pretty good job) rather than just understanding that kids are kids.

Virginia happened to get a lot of guys who were really excited about playing for Bennett, and who had issues adjusting once they got there. I haven't heard anybody say anything about him as a coach or a person in the wake of these transfers.

In my experience around college basketball, it seems that our past defections are more the exception than the rule when it comes to a lot of mass transfers... We just lucked out in getting the most troubled of the best in many consecutive years. I don't want to speak too soon (b/c, remember that Melvin was a choirboy prior to coming to WF!), but I think that we've finally got a good core of guys who both want to be here and are mature enough to be here*.

*this isn't meant as a jab against Bennett either and I don't mean to say that homesickness or other "issues" indicate immaturity, as a pejorative, or anything.

I don't know how I'd feel about Bennett if I'm a Cavaliers fan. He's in a strange situation as bad luck really impacted his 3rd year. If Landenburg hadn't been an idiot and if Scott hadn't been injured then they could have been quite good last year, but this year they will probably get a low tournament seed yet things don't really seem to be looking up for next year (his 5th).

No doubt Bennett has made strides though.

Is UVA ranked 24th? I think they're probably happy with Bennett right now.

Well I didn't realize they were doing so well this year, but they also have only played one good team (and beat them).

I think the guy is a good coach. I would not have been unhappy to see him at Wake, and I expect he'll succeed at UVA.

Back