• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Yale

berneses

Reaction score
looks like our next game on Thursday night will be a challenge versus Yale. I believe they are 8 -2 and lost to Seton Hall by about 10. Sounds like they have a good center who will challenge Carson and Ty. Should be a evenly matched game with hopefully Wake squeezing out a win at the end.

Michael Grace played great this past summer. He's only 5-10 or so but he can really shoot. His stats aren't impressive but I suspect he will bring his A game against his hometown team.

Last edited:
muhammad-ali-knock-outcopy.jpg

Bzzz Pain Train claims another victim.

Yale has a 5 pt. win over 0-11 Hartford, a 3pt. win over 1-11 Rhode Island, a 4 pt. win over 5-6 Central Connecticut State, and 2 pt. win over 6-8 Sacred Heart. That's not exactly a murderer's row of teams to be squeaking out wins over. They also lost to 5-6 Quinnipiac by 6.

On the plus side, they beat 6-7 Vermont by 16 and have the 11 pt. road loss to Seton Hall.

Sagarin says we should be a 4.5 pt. favorite.

It'll be a struggle but I think the Deacs get the win.

Michael Grace played great this past summer. He's only 5-10 or so but he can really shoot. His stats aren't impressive but I suspect he will bring his A game against his hometown team.

Michael Grace

Ymbb11-028_grace_michael.jpg

This year: 23 MPG, 32% FG, 37% 3PT, 86% FT, 6 PPG

2010-11: Appeared in 21 games off the bench... Was hampered by an early-season injury... Was 5-for-5 from the field and scored 11 points in the home win over Columbia... Had seven points in nine minutes against Lehigh.

2009-10: Appeared in 29 games off the bench… Averaged nearly 14 minutes per game… Third on the team with 58 assists… Scored 14 points in his first career Ivy League game against Brown… Tallied seven assists with only one turnover in a victory over Bryant… Scored 11 points and handed out six assists against Albertus Magnus… Missed two games with injuries.

Before Yale: An all-state selection as a senior at Mt. Tabor after averaging 19.6 points, 8.4 assist and 4.3 steals... Scored more than 1,000 points in his career... McDonald’s All-America nominee... Selected to play in the NCCA East-West All Star game... Two-time all-region and all-district selection... Earned all-conference honors three times... Named the most valuable player of the Frank Spencer Holiday Tournament... Helped lead Mt. Tabor to the NCHSAA 4A state championship as a senior... Team won two league championships during his career... High school teammate of C.J. Harris and Brooks Godwin, who both play at Wake Forest... Played AAU for the North Carolina Raptors and North Carolina Fire.

We're a one point favorite on KenPom I think, but I think they're ranked ahead of us (too lazy to recheck)

Anyone want to guess actual attendance? Chance it'll be three figures?

Actual appears to be an impossible number to obtain. Nevertheless, I'll guess 3,200

Maybe someone who won't be in Nashville can just count?

I think 3200 when your hardcore fans are in another state is a bit of a stretch.

The official attendance will probably be somewhere around 6,600 though there will probably be about half that many in the Joel.

Unfortunately, the Yale game will be a challenge for our guys. Their first five match up favorably with us. Their 5 is a load who will probably play for pay somewhere next year. This game is not the walkover some may expect when they see Yale on the schedule.

Unfortunately, the Yale game will be a challenge for our guys. Their first five match up favorably with us. Their 5 is a load who will probably play for pay somewhere next year. This game is not the walkover some may expect when they see Yale on the schedule.

Of course it isn't. The sooner that people stop just assuming we win games because we are "Wake Forest" and they are "(insert team name here)" the better.

Those days are essentially gone, and not just for us, but pretty much every team. The name of the game is parity now, and nearly every game for everybody is a challenge.

To believe otherwise is just setting yourself up for failure.

Yeah, I agree with 27. I think you're attacking a straw man, here, Baby.

In addition to Yale being 30 slots above according to KenPom and returning 4 of 5 starters from last year, Greg Mangano is averaging 17 points and 9 rebounds fresh off of an appearance for the USA at the World University Games...

I'm not sure anybody on the OGB is underrating these Bulldogs.

Nah, Yale would be a pretty easy win for a quality power conference team. They could give us some trouble this year, but in 2013 or 2014 they shouldn't.

They should do well in the Ivy but in the end the Ivy is still the Ivy. You can talk parity all you want, but when a team can't give out athletic scholarships there is no parity (yes, they do find ways to work around it, but it's still a very real limitations0.

Of course it isn't. The sooner that people stop just assuming we win games because we are "Wake Forest" and they are "(insert team name here)" the better.

Those days are essentially gone, and not just for us, but pretty much every team. The name of the game is parity now, and nearly every game for everybody is a challenge.

Why do you think this is?

Under Dino and Skip, a nine-year period, we lost regular-season games to the following low- and mid-major teams:
Air Force (06-07)
UNCC (07-08)
William and Mary (09-10)

William and Mary went 22-11 and made the NIT, Air Force went 26-8 and made the NIT, and Charlotte went 20-13 and made the NIT.

Even when we had competent (or less) coaching and bottom-third ACC talent, our losses to non-majors were few and far between and came only against the better teams among them. There mere fact that we've made a habit of losing to crap teams lately doesn't mean that we won't regain that status when we improve our talent and coaching.

One thing I thought I would never read on this board is anxiety about Yale. I wanna' puke.

Back