• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buying a bike on the cheap

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
I have decided that I am going to train for a triathlon. I don't have a bike and I don't want to spend a ton on a top model because I don't think I will do too much biking after I finish (who knows...I might fall in love with it). I am already going to be spending more on a pool membership than I want to so I am trying to find one on the cheap. What kind of bike should I get? I probably will do a combo of light trail and road biking. Any ideas?

Why don't you just do an endurance event that doesn't involve biking?

I meant to post this on The Pitt...could a mod move it for me? Sorry.

Why don't you just do an endurance event that doesn't involve biking?

I have done several long runs and I want to do something different. Plus I like the variety of training for running, biking and swimming.

I would look on Craigslist for a used hybrid. If you are planning on going off road at all, you cant count on road bikes for much. However, if you're racing, you don't really want a straight mountain bike either. Lately, I really like swimming and cycling a lot more than running. They are lower impact exercises.

If you want any tips on bikes, feel free to PM, I work weekends at a bike shop.

I am not an expert, but I have a Trek hybrid that is about 10 years old and it has been great. I bought it for about $500 and I probably ride it 200 miles or so per year. My guess is that you may want a street bike for the triathalon but the hybrid will serve you well on all types of terrain (C&O tow path, W&OD, and other DC trails).

You might want to go into Spokes or another bike retailer. Spokes has always been pretty good from my standpoint and their folks can help you decide on what you need.

I was going through the same process 5 yrs ago. Bought a hybrid and hardly used it; took the plunge on a road bike and fell in love with it. I'll clock about 5,700 miles this year. Cycling had a huge impact on my lifestyle.

Comfort is going to be the most important thing. Unless you are racing the type of bike is really immaterial imo as far as performance, so comfort it the first priority.

Given that the feel of a bike is personal, and it would be hard for someone to say what is best for you. Ideally you will be able to try whatever bike you decide to buy.

Based on what you are doing I think you could find a quality bike for under $1k. Used you probably can do much better.

I ride a Cannondale and love it. IMO if you got with Cannondale, Trek or Specialized you are getting a decent bike. Certainly other quality manufacturers out there, but you probably have the widest selection of these at an average shop.

And again, unless you intend to be competitive, don't let anybody start hyping the lightest carbon fiber frame, given that you are just buying a bike the weight of the bike is not the biggest issue you face for biking. :)

If I wanted to go the used rout would a bike shop be the best place to go?

Definitely get the lightest carbon frame. Weight is the biggest issue in biking.

Back