• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Miss St QB switch

DeacKillsaDevil

Reaction score
Miller_Dave Dave Miller
With Tyler Russell suffering an MCL injury, Chris Relf will start at QB for Mississippi State against Wake Forest in the Music City Bowl.

Relf was the former starter so this isn't a huge drop off.

Haha. Yep. That pretty much sealed it. From Matty Ice's first appearance to whoever that guy was from App, backup QBs have killed us.

What was the difference between the two QBs then? Why did Relf ever lose the starting job?

Relf is the better QB. He got injured early in the season, but he was solid last year.

Yep. And he was shaving points.

What was the difference between the two QBs then? Why did Relf ever lose the starting job?

Relf is not a true quarterback. Russell was always supposed to be our QB of the future. Last year he was still very young and Relf got the starts because of our spread option. Last year Relf looked like a decent QB and he improved dramatically. Everyone thought he would improve that much more before this season. Well, he didn't. Basically, he isn't the smartest guy and he is slow getting the ball out and is not very accurate. He is a good down field runner. Last year we had a great OL. When your OL is a dominant run-blocking team, a QB like Relf can look like a great QB. See the Michigan game. But this year the line was thin and he looked terrible after two injuries in the Auburn game. Also there was a rumor that Relf had some cracked ribs in that game and I believe it because he was a really timid runner for about a month. Russell is a real quarterback and he is better at handling those tense situations when you can't just run down the other teams throat and throw an occasional pass. All you need to know is that if we are run blocking well, Relf will be in. If we aren't, Russell will be in. We really don't have a starter. They both play. The game dictates the quarterback. With you guys having a small defense, I would say that our starting QB, Relf, is starting. I think he would start anyway. That's why I made my prediction about the time of possession. In games when we were successful last season, we killed the other team in TOP. I see this game being like that. We need to wear you guys down and keep the ball out of your QB's hands. And that is what we will try to do. But don't look into the whole "back up QB" thing too much. You guys are going to be preparing for two quarterbacks no matter what. Relf started the last game we played. Russell started a few before that. Also, just because we say Relf is starting doesn't mean he is. Mullen is tricky that way. Russell was out of his splint thing and has been practicing. He isn't 100% but don't be surprised if he runs out on the field for the first play.

Last edited:
Relf is not a true quarterback. Russell was always supposed to be our QB of the future. Last year he was still very young and Relf got the starts because of our spread option. Last year Relf looked like a decent QB and he improved dramatically. Everyone thought he would improve that much more before this season. Well, he didn't. Basically, he isn't the smartest guy and he is slow getting the ball out and is not very accurate. He is a good down field runner. Last year we had a great OL. When your OL is a dominant run-blocking team, a QB like Relf can look like a great QB. See the Michigan game. But this year the line was thin and he looked terrible after two injuries in the Auburn game. Also there was a rumor that Relf had some cracked ribs in that game and I believe it because he was a really timid runner for about a month. Russell is a real quarterback and he is better at handling those tense situations when you can't just run down the other teams throat and throw an occasional pass. All you need to know is that if we are run blocking well, Relf will be in. If we aren't, Russell will be in. We really don't have a starter. They both play. The game dictates the quarterback. With you guys having a small defense, I would say that our starting QB, Relf, is starting. I think he would start anyway. That's why I made my prediction about the time of possession. In games when we were successful last season, we killed the other team in TOP. I see this game being like that. We need to wear you guys down and keep the ball out of your QB's hands. And that is what we will try to do. But don't look into the whole "back up QB" thing too much. You guys are going to be preparing for two quarterbacks no matter what. Relf started the last game we played. Russell started a few before that. Also, just because we say Relf is starting doesn't mean he is. Mullen is tricky that way. Russell was out of his splint thing and has been practicing. He isn't 100% but don't be surprised if he runs out on the field for the first play.

Good post, thanks for the info.

Back