• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

12/28 College Football Bowl Thread

no defense being played in this game

Pretty crazy ending. AFA down 42-35, and scores with 52 seconds left on a 4th down. They then fake the extra point and option left, though fumble and never recover it.

Onside kick fails and Toledo wins 42-41.

Wayne Baumgardner (spell fail) shout out at the end. Evidently he is an ESPN cameraman doing the game.

The Big 12 this year is the perfect example of why you should pull for your conference rivals in their OOC games.

In the current Sagarin rankings (updated 12/25) the Big 12 has:
#3 OSU (11-1)
#4 OU (9-3)
#11 aTm (6-6)
#12 Baylor (9-3)
#14 KSU (10-2)
#16 Mizzou (7-5)
#17 Texas (7-5)

Anyone who has watched much college football this season knows that there's no way 7 of the Big 12's 10 teams are top 17 teams. Several of those teams are WAAAAAAY overrated.

So why are the Big 12 teams ranked so high?

The Big 12 went 27-3 in OOC games, 8-3 in OOC games vs BCS conf opponents (I'm going ahead and counting TCU as BCS).

OSU 3-0 (Arizona, Tulsa, LA-Laf)
KSU 3-0 (Miami FL, Kent St, Eastern KY)
BAY 3-0 (TCU, Rice, Stephen F Austin)
OU 3-0 (FSU, Tulsa, Ball St)
MIZZ 2-1 (Miami OH, Western Ill; lost to Arizona St)
TEX 3-0 (UCLA, BYU, Rice)
aTm 2-1 (SMU, Idaho; lost to Arkansas)
ISU 3-0 (Iowa, U Conn, Northern Iowa)
TT 3-0 (Nevada, New Mexico, TX St)
KAN 2-1 (Northern Ill, McNeese St; lost to Ga Tech)

Really good conference this year, but not that good

They are soooo bad on offense. A couple of freshmen running backs and two below-avergae QBs... yeesh.

I'm sure they would kill to have Tanner Price right now.

The running game has been decent most of the year, just no tonight.

The Big 12 this year is the perfect example of why you should pull for your conference rivals in their OOC games.

#3 OSU (11-1)
#4 OU (9-3)
#11 aTm (6-6)
#12 Baylor (9-3)
#14 KSU (10-2)
#16 Mizzou (7-5)
#17 Texas (7-5)

Anyone who has watched much college football this season knows that there's no way 7 of the Big 12's 10 teams are top 17 teams. Several of those teams are WAAAAAAY overrated.

The Big 12 went 27-3 in OOC games, 8-3 in OOC games vs BCS conf opponents (I'm going ahead and counting TCU as BCS).

The TCU, and possibly Iowa, win is the only one that is actually impressive.

#3 OSU (11-1)
#4 OU (9-3)
#11 aTm (6-6)
#12 Baylor (9-3)
#14 KSU (10-2)
#16 Mizzou (7-5)
#17 Texas (7-5)

Which of those teams do you think are overrated, and by how much? The Big 12 is set up to have a very, very good bowl season. Missouri stomped UNC, and Texas will win tonight. It's nice to call them overrated, but they're beating teams.

I know you really hate Texas though, so keep on keepin on.

Which of those teams do you think are overrated, and by how much? The Big 12 is set up to have a very, very good bowl season. Missouri stomped UNC, and Texas will win tonight. It's nice to call them overrated, but they're beating teams.

I know you really hate Texas though, so keep on keepin on.

Based on how good I think these teams are, I'd say
About right: I think OSU is right @ #3, and I think Baylor and KSU are right in the 10-15 range.
Overrated: OU should be somewhere between 10-20, not #4.
Texas and Mizzou belong in the "Others receiving votes," not 15-20.
A&M doesn't even need to be in the conversation.

I do hate Texas, but the point of my thread wasn't to hate on the Big 12. It was to point out how important OOC games are when computers rank teams and conferences. Congrats to the Big 12 teams for earning these rankings that many eye tests would say are too high relative to how good the teams really are.

I think Mizzou was a legit 15-20 team this year.

A&M is a total conundrum. They're a good team with good talent, and how they didn't win more games this year baffles me.

Pre-injuries I think OU was a legitimate top 5 team, and certainly top 10. After losing Broyles et al, things got worse, and by the OSU game it was clear they'd packed it in for the season.

Back