• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So, how is Baylor doing it?

mebanedeac

Reaction score
Once considered the southwestern twin to Wake, Baylor is top 10 in football with the Heisman trophy winner, top 10 in both men's and women's basketball with arguably the best women's bb player in the nation. How is a comparable school achieving such success? Not very long ago their men's basketball program was as good as dead.

forgive me if this subject has been previously discussed.

Maybe they've lucked up with RG3 and I have respect for their football team but something smells funky with that basketball program. Tell me why all of a sudden top talent wants to go to Baylor? Just sayin.

Nah:

praying.gif

We're not Baptist enough.

(But, seriously, it's the money)

Apparently Kenneth Starr is the president of Baylor.

Also, the school received an anonymous $200 million dollar donation recently - possibly one of the biggest of its kind.

What is their source for so much money?

Not that sort of money (legitimate money).

Money and/or perks to recruits through boosters.

Just guessing though. There's something shady going on with that basketball program. The football program's success is legit though. Briles is a good offensive coach with a knack for finding under the radar QBs (both RGIII and Keenum at Houston were recruited by Briles).

Once considered the southwestern twin to Wake, Baylor is top 10 in football with the Heisman trophy winner, top 10 in both men's and women's basketball with arguably the best women's bb player in the nation. How is a comparable school achieving such success? Not very long ago their men's basketball program was as good as dead.

forgive me if this subject has been previously discussed.

It would take me a while to expound on this, but I think, put simply, Baylor is not a comparable school to Wake. They have, among other things: lower admission standards, bigger alumni donors, and double our population. My perception of Baylor at this point is that it's a private school only in name and pricetag.

I am no [Redacted] fan, but Scott Drew is a miserable coach. Dino without the D.

That is hilarious. He could coach circles around any coach we have had in the past 3 decades. To put him in the same breath as Dino is laughable.

It would take me a while to expound on this, but I think, put simply, Baylor is not a comparable school to Wake. They have, among other things: lower admission standards, bigger alumni donors, and double our population. My perception of Baylor at this point is that it's a private school only in name and pricetag.

Pretty true. Baylor isn't a particularly good school. Great medical school though, I imagine that's the source of lots of their funds.

Scott Drew is shady, and RGIII is a once in a lifetime player. That's how they are doing it. Check back in two years.

Griffin was not under the radar.

Yea, this. He was a big time player in HS and a 4* recruit iirc. Briles had recruited him while at Houston, and Griffin basically followed Briles.

Both Baylor bball and fball seem to have started taking lots of jucos and other transfers in recent years. The fball team especially has taken to filling their holes with juco transfers. The bball team gets people from all over. I'm not sure how, but all signs point to Drew and his staff operating in the "gray area" of the college rulebook.

Pretty true. Baylor isn't a particularly good school. Great medical school though, I imagine that's the source of lots of their funds.

Yea, and the medical school isn't even within 100 miles of the campus. Baylor's in Waco, and Baylor Med is in Houston.

Drayton McLane (former Astros owner, Texas grocery store mogul, and Baylor alum) is one of their more notable donors.

The Kenneth Starr thing as their president weirds me out.

I had always assumed Baylor was able to land Griffin because of track.

Back