• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is QB position changing in the NFL?

mebanedeac

Reaction score
With Newton, Griffin and even Tebow in the league the QB position is changing. Defenses are going to be forced to scheme against running QBs. Before you know it, there may be a league full of Michael Vicks.

Will be interesting.

Yet at the same time Brees has already broken the single-season passing record, and there are another 3-4 guys who might pass the old mark.

The diversity in qb styles that is emerging is fun to see, though the big passers are running the best teams.

Yet at the same time Brees has already broken the single-season passing record, and there are another 3-4 guys who might pass the old mark.

The diversity in qb styles that is emerging is fun to see, though the big passers are running the best teams.

true. And it remains to be seen how the more diverse QBs will hold up with NFL hits....though Newton has done well.

Nothing new. There have always been a couple mobile QBs sprinkled throughout the league. The Manning/Brady/Rodgers/Brees model will continue to dominate the NFL.

With Young, Cunningham and even Elway in the league the QB position is changing. Defenses are going to be forced to scheme against running QBs. Before you know it, there may be a league full of Fran Tarkentons.

Will be interesting.

With McNair, Stewart and even McNabb in the league the QB position is changing. Defenses are going to be forced to scheme against running QBs. Before you know it, there may be a league full of Randall Cunninghams.

Will be interesting.

Just playing with your post a little bit.

I'll say your premise is partially correct. The QB position is changing, but not due to the players as much as the coaches willing to adapt to their players' rushing strengths. The idea that two first year coaching staffs would adapt their young QBs' college playbooks is pretty revolutionary. It will be interesting to see what RGIII's team does.

Just playing with your post a little bit.

I'll say your premise is partially correct. The QB position is changing, but not due to the players as much as the coaches willing to adapt to their players' rushing strengths. The idea that two first year coaching staffs would adapt their young QBs' college playbooks is pretty revolutionary. It will be interesting to see what RGIII's team does.

This is a difficult change for most NFL coaches I would think.

Agreed. I do think it helps that both were first year staffs although obviously Fox's staff in Denver didn't know Tebow was going to be the guy.

Newton has thrown for 4k yards. Griffin is one of the most accurate passers in college FB right now. Rodgers is a much better comparison than Tebow. Assuming they have similar games to Tebow is dishonest. Newton and Griffin could both be successful in a conventional offense.

Give the D coordinators a full off-season to run the tape and see what happens to tebow and cam next year. I hope I am wrong, but I bet these styles go the way of the wildcat and the run-and-shoot. There will be a place for them in the NFL playbooks, but they will not be the as successful, once some D coordinators breaks the code. And once they do, everyone will copy it. Then we will see whether tebow and cam are NFL qb's. I think cam will adjust, i dont think tebow will be able to. He just is not accurate enough.

From Wake's history, remember that Vtech pretty much single handedly killed our orbit sweep play package by rolling the secondary towards the sweep side and bringing pressure off the edge. Once they put that on tape, other teams saw it and copied the scheme, which made the entire package practically useless.

I'm not sure there is a whole lot D coordinators can really do about a pass play breaking down and the QB scrambling, other than leaving a QB spy on literally every single pass play. And as far as Cam's rushing TDs in short and goal situations, kinda hard to stop that as well when the guy is 6'5"; all he has to do is fall forward and he's in

Nothing new. There have always been a couple mobile QBs sprinkled throughout the league. The Manning/Brady/Rodgers/Brees model will continue to dominate the NFL.

Exactly. Randall Cunningham, anyone?

The common denominator with the mobile QBs is that if they can't throw, they don't last.

The only reason this thread really exists is because Tebow can't throw and Newton & Griffin are black. Maybe not the only reason, but Newton's game is more similar to Big Ben and Rodgers. He can throw a huge ball on the money, and he happens to be elusive and mobile.

the reason the tread exists is because the broncos and panthers do not run a normal NFL offense - they have adapted a zone-read / spread option attack to NFL.

Oh and newton = big Ben = Fail. Let me know they next time big ben rips off a 50 yard touchdown run, that includes juking a saftey out of his jock.

Give the D coordinators a full off-season to run the tape and see what happens to tebow and cam next year. I hope I am wrong, but I bet these styles go the way of the wildcat and the run-and-shoot. There will be a place for them in the NFL playbooks, but they will not be the as successful, once some D coordinators breaks the code. And once they do, everyone will copy it. Then we will see whether tebow and cam are NFL qb's. I think cam will adjust, i dont think tebow will be able to. He just is not accurate enough.

From Wake's history, remember that Vtech pretty much single handedly killed our orbit sweep play package by rolling the secondary towards the sweep side and bringing pressure off the edge. Once they put that on tape, other teams saw it and copied the scheme, which made the entire package practically useless.

+1. I think Cam will have continued success because he can actually throw the ball. Tim Tebow will fizzle out next year just like the wildcat. I have said it all year, it works this year because teams haven't seen anything on the pro level like it recently, but give it a full off-season, and the Tebow read-option offense will fall flat on its face. He just has minimal abilities as an actual passer.

the reason the tread exists is because the broncos and panthers do not run a normal NFL offense - they have adapted a zone-read / spread option attack to NFL.

Oh and newton = big Ben = Fail. Let me know they next time big ben rips off a 50 yard touchdown run, that includes juking a saftey out of his jock.

His game is more like Ben's than Vick's. Cam Newton's game is ultimately unparalleled. The panthers probably run less than 7 zone read plays per game. If Rodgers had a decent RB, he might be running 1-2 a game too.

The only reason this thread really exists is because Tebow can't throw and Newton & Griffin are black. Maybe not the only reason, but Newton's game is more similar to Big Ben and Rodgers. He can throw a huge ball on the money, and he happens to be elusive and mobile.

+1

There has been talk about this for years. Vick, Vince Young, Kordell Stewart, etc etc. These gimmick offenses generally don't last once coordinators have some time to look at film and adjust to it. If the QB can't throw, he won't last. And they slowly settle into more prototypical QB types because they can't take the hits from running all the time. Look at Vick. As for mobile QBs who could pass, this is nothing new. John Elway?

There has been talk about this for years. Vick, Vince Young, Kordell Stewart, etc etc. These gimmick offenses generally don't last once coordinators have some time to look at film and adjust to it. If the QB can't throw, he won't last. And they slowly settle into more prototypical QB types because they can't take the hits from running all the time. Look at Vick. As for mobile QBs who could pass, this is nothing new. John Elway?

Vick can pass. Cam can pass.

Back