• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where will Tommy Amaker be coaching next season (the BC is terrible thread)

Brendan207

Reaction score
Harvard blew out Boston college 67-46 tonight. We should beat BC twice this year... and potentially get a 3rd shot at them come ACC tournament time. That's 4 years in a row Harvard has beaten BC (if I remember correctly). This isn't even BC's worst loss of the season, they got crushed by Holy Cross 86-64 in November and lost 82-46 to a very mediocre UMass team earlier this year. We are DEFINITELY better than them... and similar to Clemson's coach BC's coach was someone I saw at least a couple of Buzz outers mention we should have looked at. But I do think recruiting to BC is way way harder than recruiting to any other ACC school.

Anyway, on to Amaker, he's 11-1 with only one real tough non-Ivy league game remaining (Harvard plays St Joe's next). He has a legit chance to be going into the NCAA Tournament with 3-4 losses, with tons of eyes on Harvard as a cinderella / upset maker... so even if they lose he'll be on everyone's radar screen big time.

Where will he end up next year? I'm not ruling out Harvard, but he'll be on a lot of coaching search lists.

Last edited:
He had very mediocre runs at Seton Hall and Michigan. I don't think he'll be THAT popular of a pickup.

BC losing to Harvard is kinda old hat by now, isn't this the 3rd straight time they have done so?

Steve Donahue is a good game coach and, I'd imagine, a good developer of talent, but I don't think he has what it takes to build a competitive high major program. I said it when he was hired that it's a big risk to hire someone with no experience outside of the Ivy League. Seems to be ringing true.

He had very mediocre runs at Seton Hall and Michigan. I don't think he'll be THAT popular of a pickup.

Amaker laid eggs at both SH and Michigan, trying to compete in very, very different conferences than the Ivy.

Donahue took over a disaster zone, much like Bzz. Drawing any conclusions about either Donahue's future success -- or Amaker's -- from one game is ludicrous.

I thought he did well with Seton Hall and Seton Hall hasn't been relevant since he left. Michigan was a different story, but part of that wasn't his fault since I think they were facing sanctions when he came in.

I think BC will benefit greatly from adding UConn and Syracuse to the ACC. Not sure why they would be opposed to UConn other than just holding an old grudge. It's petty. They need some legit ACC rivals ...

I dont know why, but I'd like to see Amaker become a career coach at Harvard. It's a very unique job, and I think it would be kind of cool if he carved himself out a niche in the Ivy league.

I think BC will benefit greatly from adding UConn and Syracuse to the ACC. Not sure why they would be opposed to UConn other than just holding an old grudge. It's petty. They need some legit ACC rivals ...

Their 23 game losing streak against UConn probably didn't help their recruiting in the area. If they start losing to UConn in football, they'll drop the recruiting advantage they've held in Massachusetts as well. I think renewing the rivalry has a better chance of hurting them in the long run.

I thought he did well with Seton Hall and Seton Hall hasn't been relevant since he left. Michigan was a different story, but part of that wasn't his fault since I think they were facing sanctions when he came in.

I think they made a Sweet 16 while he was coaching at Seton Hall, but it seemed he had some big recruits that never panned out. Eddie Griffin was one. At Michigan, he was hampered by the NCAA sanctions caused by the overhyped Fab 5, but could never get Michigan back to the dance.

I don't know Amakar's professional ambitions at this point. He's got a good thing going on, both on the court and off as he's well established himself in the community. If Duke comes calling, sure, that's sayanora at that point. Of course, as Cyndi Lauper said "Money changes everything". His time at Michigan did tarnish his rep a bit, deserved or not, but a solid run at Harvard could get him back in the forefront of some major program's AD's attention. Especially if they happen to make just a little bit of noise in the tournament, even just 1 win.

Amaker laid eggs at both SH and Michigan, trying to compete in very, very different conferences than the Ivy.

Donahue took over a disaster zone, much like Bzz. Drawing any conclusions about either Donahue's future success -- or Amaker's -- from one game is ludicrous.

Funny many here have never given [Redacted] such a pass.

Could WFU handle having a coach such as Amaker, Danny Hurley, etc...Basically a coach with a Duke or UNC background?

Could WFU handle having a coach such as Amaker, Danny Hurley, etc...Basically a coach with a Duke or UNC background?

As gross as that seems, if it means we start beating aforementioned teams on a regular basis again, then I think we would all be okay with it.

Funny many here have never given [Redacted] such a pass.

Funny how you still don't get it. Donahue has done something [Redacted] never did: built a program.

Donahue took over a disaster zone inasmuch as he lost all their top commits and a bunch of their current good players and didn't make the tournament with a 1st round NBA early entry and a bunch of seniors as the supporting cast. Then he proceeded to fill the gaping hole of open roster spots with 2 and 3 stars.

Funny how you still don't get it. Donahue has done something [Redacted] never did: built a program.

Totally immaterial and he did leave CU better than he found it.....

Back