• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who will be the next HC at PSU?

Who will be the next HC at PSU

• Tom Clements

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Mike Munchak

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Jim Grobe

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Tom Bradley

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Larry Johnson Sr

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Chris Peterson

• Dan Mullen

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Eric Mangini

• Other

Votes: 23 34.8%

• Total voters

DeacAlum2001

Reaction score
There's been a lot of speculation and talk about this. Who do you think will be the next Head Coach at Penn State?

Two of the candidates that have been talked about are coaching today in the MCB. Although, Mullen's name really hasn't been mentioned since the beginning of December.

PSU recently announced they plan to name a coach after the bowl season but still with enough time to let the new coach contact recruits before signing day.

Personally, I have no strong feeling towards any of the named candidates. Clements seems strong since he hasn't denied it but naming him during the NFL playoffs seems like it might create a distraction and he will be too busy preparing for the playoffs to be involved in recruiting. I really don't think it'll be Mullen or Munchak. Petersen is intriguing but considering the offers he has turned down I don't think he decides to jump into the mess at PSU.

Bradley and Johnson aren't strong candidates either since it seems like PSU wants to hire someone not part of the recent staff. However, they're included since they have interviewed for the job.

I'm going with Clements because I think he's the most likely of the named candidates although Other would not surprise me. I'm purposely refusing to consider Grobe because I don't want it to happen.

Penn State said that they were not close to hiring a coach and would not announce by January 3rd like they planned according to ESPN bottom line.

Penn State said that they were not close to hiring a coach and would not announce by January 3rd like they planned according to ESPN bottom line.

Yeah, I just saw that. That actually lends credence to Clements being the next HC, if they have to wait for Green Bay to finish the playoffs. Either that or the person they thought they had lined up has backed out, which is equally likely.

When did they set the Jan 3 deadline? Seems like a strange thing to do if you're going hard after a guy coaching an NFL Super Bowl favorite.

I think it means they struck out with all their top candidates and are going back to the drawing board.

Still think Caldwell is more of a likelihood than anyone on that list. More and more shite is gonna keep trickling out of State College for the next few years, and it'll hurt their recruiting no matter who the coach is. No coach at the level of a Munchak or Peterson would take that. That's why I think it'll be more of a clean caretaker like Caldwell, who won't contribute additional scandals, but who also won't sniff the Rose Bowl. Then that coach will be replaced in 4-5 years once all this shite is over.

I really doubt it will be him, but am I alone in thinking Pat Fitzgerald would make a lot of sense? Especially if they actually believe in the "grand experiment".

Only mark against him that I see is his bowl record.

Where is Saban on this list? paying him 8 mill per year to leave Bama is the latest crazy rumor across the penn state blogosphere. emphasis on crazy

I think it would be a good move for Saban and Penn St. He is one of the few people who could recruit immediately to that mess, and I think after this season, it only gets more difficult at Bama. They are losing a ton of talent.

PSU is not the same job it was 20-30 years ago and morons from up here don't realize that. It is now a major cleanup job, one that young coaches whom are trying to make a name for themselves may want to avoid. The best HS football in the state is in western PA where a majority of those kids have been ending up at Ohio State. Any dipshit that would think Saban would come up for this job, is hilarious. I hope and wish PSU decades of failure. I hate that school with every bone in my existence.

I think it would be a good move for Saban and Penn St. He is one of the few people who could recruit immediately to that mess, and I think after this season, it only gets more difficult at Bama. They are losing a ton of talent.

LOL Wut???

Where is Saban on this list? paying him 8 mill per year to leave Bama is the latest crazy rumor across the penn state blogosphere. emphasis on crazy

Nick Saban wasn't going to ever take a big step down in prestige to coach Penn State. Ever. So why would he leave to take a jump off a cliff. You are right CRAZY.

Dude. Alabama doesn't rebuild. They reload. He has probably assembled the best class he's pulled since going to Alabama this year. And that class just keeps getting stronger. Nevermind the fact they are always at or around the Top 5 in recruiting.

You think leaving an unbelievable situation in terms of facilities, fan support and conference affilation to go to Penn State would be a good move? It would be a dumb move absent the scandal. It's downright stupid in light of it.

Back