• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What to feel good about

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
A 5-3 ACC record this season with a 4-1 mark against Atlantic division opponents. That one loss was to Clemson when we choked. The last two losses overshadows that, but that is something to feel good about.

Of the three ACC loses, two are teams we get at home next year, and the other rotates off the schedule.

OOC is also much easier next year.

What to feel good about: we don't have to go home to Mississippi tomorrow

Mississippi State fans were not sure they had us beaten until 1 minute 42 left in the game. I feel good about that.

Something else to feel good about - this was our sixth bowl game in the last 12 years and we have a 4-2 record during that time. Prior to that we had been to 4 bowl games in 54 years and had a 2-2 record. The big picture still looks good, especially if you were a Deacs fan prior to 2000. I know we want to see better and think we can do better. I want that too, but I'm not going to dismiss the vast improvements this program has made, primarily under Grobe (Caldwell did help some with recruiting but was horrible at game prep and management).

Even though Wake lost tonight, I feel very good about the future of Wake football. I really thought this year was gonna be a "rebuilding" year and Wake was gonna be lucky to be at 4 or 5 wins. To be bowling in Nashville against an SEC opponent although we lost gives me something to look forward to next year. Feel like we have some talent and also have the Qb and receiver positions in good shape for a few years. I know the year ended on a sour note but I really feel good about the direction of the program although I would love a new OC but I will let you guys debate that.

We don't have to read another stupid socaldeac post after a football loss?

It is perfectly legitimate to feel good about some of the points posters have made in this thread.

So why do I feel so bad? I think it's because all the stuff folks are mentioning has to do with the past, and not the future. There's not very much you can take from this season and translate into a "better" team next year. We're gonna lose alot of key players including Wilber, Dorty, Orange, Quarles and several of the oline starters, Givens, Pendergrass, and several others, possibly Josh Harris.

The backups to the players leaving aren't as good as those guys, or they would've played more. How many snaps did Orville Reynolds get after burning his shirt? The future is cloudy at best.

Of the three ACC loses, two are teams we get at home next year, and the other rotates off the schedule.

OOC is also much easier next year.

I think we are in good shape for next year and will be bowl bound again. 7-8 wins is certainly within reason.

Safe to say 2012 wont repeat as the best home football schedule in wake forest history: Army, Liberty, Vandy, BC, Duke, UNC, and Clemson

on the road against NCST, MD, FSU, UVA, and Notre Dame

It is perfectly legitimate to feel good about some of the points posters have made in this thread.

So why do I feel so bad? I think it's because all the stuff folks are mentioning has to do with the past, and not the future. There's not very much you can take from this season and translate into a "better" team next year. We're gonna lose alot of key players including Wilber, Dorty, Orange, Quarles and several of the oline starters, Givens, Pendergrass, and several others, possibly Josh Harris.

The backups to the players leaving aren't as good as those guys, or they would've played more. How many snaps did Orville Reynolds get after burning his shirt? The future is cloudy at best.

I disagree. I think there are plenty of things you can take from this season that will be back in 2012. Sure we are losing some key players but I feel like it just opens it up for some of the younger guys. We'll see. I feel good about the next couple of years for Wake.

Disagree completely. Wake can't get kids that are ready to play out of the box, and they peak as juniors and seniors. That's the Lowe's, Jacksons, and Prices of the world. They are all going to improve and we have a lot of talent in the wings. Losing Wilber is really the only guy i'm worried about leaving, not counting early entries or transfers (did you just make that Josh Harris comment up out of thin air?) . Lot to look forward to for WF next season.

Plenty to feel good about but we need improved line play on both sides of the ball, otherwise we will never be consistently good. Next year is another potential bowl team. How good of a bowl, how good of a record, will depend on the o+d lines. Biggest road game: Tallahassee.

One final bit of good news: the fire Lobo crowd can take a month or two or three off. Maybe the rest will allow then to come up with some new insights or clever and entertaining things to say. Their current shtick has gotten as shopworn as that of the Buzzouts.

Of course, next year Lobo will complain that the OL is young and have not fully grasped his system and can't possibly learn to run block and pass block and we'll have another sub .500 season. The OL has been our Achilles heel since 2006. Doubt it will change in 2012.

Of course, next year Lobo will complain that the OL is young and have not fully grasped his system and can't possibly learn to run block and pass block and we'll have another sub .500 season. The OL has been our Achilles heel since 2006. Doubt it will change in 2012.

Change Lobo to Grobe.

I think the fact that we finished the season with 6 wins is important when compared to last season. Tanner looked much improved this season. Givens had a breakout year and outside of the Vandy, UNC, and Va Tech game we were in every game through most of the 2nd half. The schedule next year is not as difficult so that helps.

Concerns:
o-line: I don't know if we don't recruit the position well or struggle to develop players at the position but it's always a concern even when we've had "experienced" players.
kicking game and special teams:Improvement needed all around. Jimmy had a better season then people realize but still missed some kicks at critical moments. Our kick coverage was horrible at times this year.
secondary:God I hope it gets better. One of the most frustrating things to watch was our guys getting beat in the secondary and then they continued to talk the whole game. Sometimes I really like the kids who just shut up and play.

Il We're gonna lose alot of key players including Wilber, Dorty, Orange, Quarles and several of the oline starters, Givens, Pendergrass, and several others, possibly Josh Harris.

The backups to the players leaving aren't as good as those guys, or they would've played more.

Isn't this true of any team that loses starters in any given year? Under this logic, no team would ever improve.

Is it true the Kevin Parks wanted to come to Wake and we did not offer?

If so, I don't feel very good about our ability to evaluate talent!

Back