• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2011 Atlanta Braves Thread: Go Braves!!!

Deacon2002

Reaction score
Fredi to name opening day starter and announce 1 to 4 spots in the rotation after the game today which is on ESPN....

Thanks for the reminder.

Opening Day is definitely Lowe. I guess it goes: Lowe, Hanson, Jurrjens, Hudson.

Its the Braves year, its going to be great.

IN!!!! GO BRAVES!

I have a good feeling about this year...hope it pans out.

Where's DieselDeac? I know he's in on this...

I'm really looking forward to the Braves season this year. I had a great time with my dad and brother at the Bobby Cox farewell games vs. the Phillies last year.

Fuck the Braves. Phillies are taking the pennant back.

Cox's jersey to be retired Friday August 12th before the game against the Cubbies...

Things look great so far and the Phillies are looking old...

Will be interesting to see if Beachy or Minor get the 5th spot and who gets the last couple of bench spots...

Seems like Beachy is likely to win the fifth starter job. I like it. Showcase him and then trade him midseason and bring up Minor.

Seems like Beachy is likely to win the fifth starter job. I like it. Showcase him and then trade him midseason and bring up Minor.

Sounds like a good strategy to me....

You have to think that if all of our starting rotation is living up to expectations and healthy at mid-season that serious consideration would be given to moving Beachy, Minor or maybe even Jurrjens (I hope not) if the Braves feel they need an upgrade or if a player(s) they can't say no to are being dangled....

Freddie got off to a fast start. He's cooled just a little, but still looking very good. It is still looking like he will turn into that every day solid first baseman that it seems like the Braves have been trying to snag for years...

You keep Beachy and Minor. Wheels are going to fall off Lowe and Hudson sooner rather than later.

JJ, Hanson, Beachy, Minor should be the future.

SO IN on this

I haven't been this excited about a sports season in a few years.

Not like the Canes, Deacs, or Skins have been hyped that much preseason recently.

Freddie got off to a fast start. He's cooled just a little, but still looking very good. It is still looking like he will turn into that every day solid first baseman that it seems like the Braves have been trying to snag for years...

That's good to hear. I know he's hyped as the next big thing (along with Heyward), so even if he's just solid, it'd be a big plus for the Braves.

The only other major questions for me headed into the season are whether McLouth can get back to his Pittsburgh form and not be a disaster in center, and if Kimbrel can handle closing duties. Venters was lights out last year, and I've read he'll co-close, but it seems like the Braves want Kimbrel to take the job.

I haven't been reading as much Braves news this year, though, and that's all probably common knowledge. Any other major storylines headed into the season?

That's good to hear. I know he's hyped as the next big thing (along with Heyward), so even if he's just solid, it'd be a big plus for the Braves.

The only other major questions for me headed into the season are whether McLouth can get back to his Pittsburgh form and not be a disaster in center, and if Kimbrel can handle closing duties. Venters was lights out last year, and I've read he'll co-close, but it seems like the Braves want Kimbrel to take the job.

I haven't been reading as much Braves news this year, though, and that's all probably common knowledge. Any other major storylines headed into the season?

McLouth is looking like Pittsburgh Nate in spring training so far, but he'll have to do it in the regular season for me to completely buy in. He's hitting .293 with 1 homer, 4 RBI's and 10 runs scored this spring. His OBP is .434 (2nd behind J-Hey) and the 10 runs are tied for the team lead.

From what I've read Fredi really likes the idea of using Venters and Kimbrel as co-closers and either staying with that throughout the season or someone earning it during the regular season. They have both looked extremely good.

Chipper's very solid spring and Prado's seamless move to LF have also gotten some press. All of the starting pitchers are looking great as well. D Lowe looks like he's kept the magic from the end of last season.

For me heading into the season Nate is the only real question mark. The defensive acumen of the infield could be better, but Fredi seems to have made fielding practice a real point of emphasis and I think they will be improved over last season.

Finally DOB has a great blog today on the 5th starter battle, and the battle for the final position player and bullpen spots.

Back