• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

More College Football Recruiting Scandal

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
A front page article on ESPN.com is talking about a man, Willie Lyles, who "shopped" Patrick Peterson, the possible #1 pick CB from LSU, to colleges. Lyles apparently told Texas A&M coaches that Peterson would need at least 80k to commit there.
The craziest thing I took from this article was an aside at the bottom where Oregon paid Lyles's company - Complete Scouting Services, 25k for "Scouting Services", just a few weeks after a RB (Lache Seastrunk) whom Lyles was heavily involved with, committed to the Ducks.

How freaking shady is it when a school is paying tens of thousands of dollars to a "recruiting service", when that recruiting service is directly involved with the decisions of recruits?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6275253

Didn't UConn Coach Jim Calhoun pay Rudy Gay's AAU team a $25,000 appearance fee to play an "exhibition" against the Huskies?

Honest question: do you think Wake can ever win a National Championship in football or basketball with this going on?

Butler is looking like they can do it in basketball, but football is a whole nother animal right now.

Honest question: do you think Wake can ever win a National Championship in football or basketball with this going on?

Butler is looking like they can do it in basketball, but football is a whole nother animal right now.

It's a numbers game. There are probably only 10-20 basketball recruits every year that could demand a lot of money for their commitment. There are probably 40 -80 Football recruits who could demand money every year.

Didn't UConn Coach Jim Calhoun pay Rudy Gay's AAU team a $25,000 appearance fee to play an "exhibition" against the Huskies?

Amongst the numerous other players he paid.

The Oregon thing has hit the news already and been covered.

It's not unusual to pay for recruiting services but this $$$ amount was much higher than usual. It's being investigated.

The Oregon thing has hit the news already and been covered.

It's not unusual to pay for recruiting services but this $$$ amount was much higher than usual. It's being investigated.

Oregon State is sick and tired of it. LOL.

I'm sick and tired of it. We can either cheat and compete or be honest and do nothing.

I'd rather be honest and do nothing and try to compete in bball. I love bball more and it's my sport, but there are still the Uconns and the Caliparis floating around.

The NCAA will be gone in 10 or 15 years, in my opinion. There will be super-conferences in its place, and athletes will probably receive, openly, some compensation from boosters. Doubtful that WFU will be able to compete in football at that point.

Hard to put the genie back in the bottle with respect to collegiate athletics. Way too much money involved. The NCAA just needs to get out of the way, since the notion of the "amateur student athlete" is being exposed as a sham.

I'm sick and tired of it. We can either cheat and compete or be honest and do nothing.

I'd rather be honest and do nothing and try to compete in bball. I love bball more and it's my sport, but there are still the Uconns and the Caliparis floating around.

I wouldn't pin the NCAA's woes completely on UConn & Calipari. In basketball, as in life, the rich get richer. Duke has had the last 2 #1 recruits in the nation, and Carolina has had 11 McDonalds All-Americans in 4 years. You can't blame the top programs for getting the best players.

Back