• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State of the Buzz, OOC

Do you approve of the job Jeff [Redacted] is doing as Head Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Still in the Wait category, though I've moved more towards In than Out these last couple of months.

Buzzout----Me-----Buzzwaitandsee---------Buzzin

I chose Buzz wait-and-see, but i'm teetering.

I do not approve of the job that Mr. [Redacted] has done while at Wake Forest University.

:wtftard:
Yeah, a 9-5 record, winning a road game we weren't supposed to compete in, nearly winning another we were heavy underdogs in, and only losing one game we weren't supposed to (in a game where we didn't have our best player)

...You're right, that OOC schedule should definitely have pushed my opinion south rather than north. I can see still being BzOut if you were in the preseason. That makes perfect sense to me, and I don't see how these first 14 games could change anyone's opinion all that much in the first place. But to say that this OOC schedule has pushed anybody further towards out, when we almost universally exceeded expectations heading into the season... That's batpoop insane.

Last edited:
Let's see how everyone feels after enduring the ACC beatdown we're gonna get.

Seriously, some are encouraged? We SHOULD look better against this year's early season opponents than we did against the much more serious competition we faced during the second half of last season (and that we're getting ready to face again.) That doesn't mean Bzzz is a great coach by any stretch of the imagination.

But to say that this OOC schedule has pushed anybody further towards out, when we almost universally exceeded expectations heading into the season... That's batshit insane.

There are quite a few insane Wake Forest fans posting on these boards then. I've seen multiple posters say they have moved from Wait to Out this season. You're the first I've seen to say they've moved towards IN.

Exceeding expectations doesn't necessarily make someone approve more of Bzz...especially not when expectations are near nothing. It's the level to which he exceeds them that will change most minds. Many have said they gave him a pass for last year but needed to see a huge jump this year to stay in the Wait camp. So far, that huge jump hasn't come. So, despite exceeding whatever arbitrary expectations you've laid out, he may still have not done enough to convince many waiters that he deserves to continue to stay coach of Wake Forest.

Hell, if the expectations remain so low, we could exceed them for 3 straight seasons and still not make the NCAA tournament.

There are quite a few insane Wake Forest fans posting on these boards then. I've seen multiple posters say they have moved from Wait to Out this season. You're the first I've seen to say they've moved towards IN.

Exceeding expectations doesn't necessarily make someone approve more of Bzz...especially not when expectations are near nothing. It's the level to which he exceeds them that will change most minds. Many have said they gave him a pass for last year but needed to see a huge jump this year to stay in the Wait camp. So far, that huge jump hasn't come. So, despite exceeding whatever arbitrary expectations you've laid out, he may still have not done enough to convince many waiters that he deserves to continue to stay coach of Wake Forest.

Hell, if the expectations remain so low, we could exceed them for 3 straight seasons and still not make the NCAA tournament.
My point was more: If before the season nobody thought Bz could win 8 games in OOC (based on preseason prediction posts, as well as the multiple bets with Jaybone), and then he wins 9, how could that negatively affect opinions toward him? If anything, they should remain constant.

That's just my opinion, I guess. And my expectations next year are the NCAA tournament, so there's that.

I moved all the way from Buzzin to Buzzout after Wofford. I gave him a free pass last season but you can't lose to Wofford and refuse to play a Carson 4 and Ty 5 lineup when it's there. Plus you played Aaron Ingle.

My point was more: If before the season nobody thought Bz could win 8 games in OOC (based on preseason prediction posts, as well as the multiple bets with Jaybone), and then he wins 9, how could that negatively affect opinions toward him? If anything, they should remain constant.

So, if expectations for next year are 10 and he wins 11, and expectations for 2014 are 11 and he wins 12, are you still in Bzz Wait and See in 2015? There's a time factor that must be considered. Simply meeting or beating expectations doesn't cut it if that never actually turns us into a competitive team. Now, if no one thought Bzz could win 8 games this year and he pulled off 20, you'd see plenty of people move from Wait to In. You'd even see plenty move from Out to In. Both situations are "exceeding expectations", but they aren't even close to the same. Bzz can win 10 and prove he's a better coach than I thought he was without actually proving that he's a good enough coach to deserve another year.

That's just my opinion, I guess. And my expectations next year are the NCAA tournament, so there's that.

In that case, I understand more about how you can become more of a fan of Bzz from what you've seen so far this year.

So, what was your expectation for this season that he has exceeded that has caused you to move towards Bzz In?

I moved all the way from Buzzin to Buzzout after Wofford. I gave him a free pass last season but you can't lose to Wofford and refuse to play a Carson 4 and Ty 5 lineup when it's there. Plus you played Aaron Ingle.
:confused:

Aaron Ingle was in many ways our best guard out there last night, I'm guessing you didn't watch the game.

AI was the best guard on our team last night haha.

we lost to wofford. that should count for more than 1 nail in the coffin

So, if expectations for next year are 10 and he wins 11, and expectations for 2014 are 11 and he wins 12, are you still in Bzz Wait and See in 2015? There's a time factor that must be considered. Simply meeting or beating expectations doesn't cut it if that never actually turns us into a competitive team. Now, if no one thought Bzz could win 8 games this year and he pulled off 20, you'd see plenty of people move from Wait to In. You'd even see plenty move from Out to In. Both situations are "exceeding expectations", but that's a very different scenario from winning 9 when 8 was expected.

Yeah, definitely. Like I said, my expectations are a lot higher next year. This year, he's pretty much matching them. Which is why I said my opinion of him hasn't changed much one way or another. But my expectations of him this year (basically, 15 or 16 wins) were higher than some others' expectations here.

In that case, I understand more about how you can become more of a fan of Bzz from what you've seen so far this year.

So, what was your expectation for this season that he has exceeded that has caused you to move towards Bzz In?

15 or 16 wins and generally improved play on the court. I think he's done the latter so far, and I don't think he's exceeding the former this year. Which, again, is why my opinion is mostly unchanged. I do think he's done a good job laying the groundwork for future success in terms of an increased emphasis on fundamentals, which is a big part of why I haven't soured any more on him. Plus, Devin Thomas has blown up quite a bit since the preseason-- at the time, CMM was his only real elite recruit as a late riser. Since then, he's been proven have gotten in early on Thomas.

Last edited:

Well, for me at least (and I'm still a long way from being BzzIn), it's the fact that this team has at best equal talent to last years, and in reality is probably worse (only 1/3 of the freshman have added anything), and yet has done much better so far in the non-conference than last year's team, while actually showing some ability to bounce back and fight off runs, etc.

I'm really waiting until next year to judge him though.

we lost to wofford. that should count for more than 1 nail in the coffin

Without our leading scorer and only player on the team that can create his own shot. Not to mention the only guard on our team that has some semblance of composure when things start going south.

Back