• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill O'Brien to become new HC at PSU

Surprised PSU had such a hard on for an NFL coach. How many NFL-coordinators-turned-college-head-coaches are successful?

I'm sure there would be another riot at State College right now if Penn State was back in school.

Pretty much impossible to get a great coach for 2 big reasons.

1. Sex scandal and uncertainty in what will happen to the program.
2. Scandal or not, he's following a legend. That almost never works out.

He'll suck for a few years/they get on probation and then PSU will get their money candidate.

As Hello noted, it's a skip hire.

Hire a guy to plug the hole, then skip to the future for the actual hire.

I think he'll be a good hire. It all depends on who he can surround himself with that know the recruiting lay of the land.

Nancy boys. Who did they really think was going to drag them out of that moral graveyard?

How does a guy from the NFL game put together a staff in toxic circumstances like this? I can't imagine he'll have an easy time finding assistants as a guy who's been out of the college game for a while, and even more so because of the situation in Happy Valley right now.

How does a guy from the NFL game put together a staff in toxic circumstances like this? I can't imagine he'll have an easy time finding assistants as a guy who's been out of the college game for a while, and even more so because of the situation in Happy Valley right now.

I'll tell you how. Money. PSU has money. And the assistants are key and they know it. O'Brien gets his but he will have a blank check for finding the best assistants money can steal. Just watch. PSU doesn't see this like this board does. They don't see this as a gap hire. They want instant credibility. And they know 10-12 win seasons go a long way to shorten people's memories.

Bank on it.

This must have been plan Z for Penn State. O me O my. Penn State implemented a new ticket program, STEP, and have been struggling to sell out games. I can't imagine this will help ticket sales. My thoughts all along for PSU was they would cheap out on the hire because they've been paying Paterno nothing for the last half century. Hard to imagine going from paying $1M to $5M if you think your ticket sales are inelastic and there's a relationship between a big name head coach and ticket sales. Penn State also lowered the expectations and have been content with mediocrity in the past.

Plenty of assts willing to work at PSU. The scandal is going to blow over in pretty short order. It is already basically out of the news.

Yes, PSU will suffer some punishment but in a year or two this will be just another college sports scandal for the books.

Plenty of assts willing to work at PSU. The scandal is going to blow over in pretty short order. It is already basically out of the news.

Yes, PSU will suffer some punishment but in a year or two this will be just another college sports scandal for the books.

i disagree. still huge in the majority of PA--not as much as Philly or Pitt because big cities obviously have more news but in other places in the state it still is getting front page attention almost everyday and segments on evening news.

the boosters are pissed about not being involved and penn st even sent a letter to them saying they will not be getting any money back that was donated

moving the trial from centre county to harrisburg also puts it more in the forefront in the state. the patriot news is centered in harrisburg which i believe is still top 100 in the country in circulation.

this is going to stick for a while. they are already prepping for financial loss from the imminent lawsuits

This must have been plan Z for Penn State. O me O my. Penn State implemented a new ticket program, STEP, and have been struggling to sell out games. I can't imagine this will help ticket sales. My thoughts all along for PSU was they would cheap out on the hire because they've been paying Paterno nothing for the last half century. Hard to imagine going from paying $1M to $5M if you think your ticket sales are inelastic and there's a relationship between a big name head coach and ticket sales. Penn State also lowered the expectations and have been content with mediocrity in the past.

Yeah, my dad and many of his friends got screwed by the new ticket program.

Pretty much impossible to get a great coach for 2 big reasons.

1. Sex scandal and uncertainty in what will happen to the program.2. Scandal or not, he's following a legend. That almost never works out.

He'll suck for a few years/they get on probation and then PSU will get their money candidate.

Nothing is going to happen to the program. However, the problem will come as kids who are entering the recruiting world are not going to sniff penn state. Not yet at least. In a couple years, they will start putting together recruiting classes again, which means a couple years after that they will start to be good again.

My guess, 5 years they are back in the mix.

i know as bad as it is that i am sure if a high school senior commits to go to penn state now or in the near future he will undoubtedly get the "oh you just wanna go to penn state cause you wanna rape boys"

obviously just a dumb joke but it would definitely get old for the kid and something he wouldnt wanna have to deal with

yup. still needs time to blow over.

Deacinphilly, new to the board? Or did you change names? Where do you live?

i know as bad as it is that i am sure if a high school senior commits to go to penn state now or in the near future he will undoubtedly get the "oh you just wanna go to penn state cause you wanna rape boys"

obviously just a dumb joke but it would definitely get old for the kid and something he wouldnt wanna have to deal with

They are high schoolers, you are totally correct.

Back