• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Here's an original thought from ESPN NY

Truth hurts.

The bar I go to is a huge Steeler hang-out. Lots of Giants and Patriots fans too but it's definitely a Steeler spot. Of course, it's 700+ miles to Pittsburgh from here and even more to NY or Foxborough.

What I don't get is when the Falcons are playing in Atlanta, the bar is full of Falcons fans. Go to the fucking stadium!! It's 20 miles away. Just more of why these types of stories keep coming out.

Have you been to the stadium for a game? I can't imagine why a white bread Peachtree City fan would go to the Dome instead of watching the comfort of their own home and/or sports bar.

This is an epidemic all over the country.

Also to ignore the college fan base in Atlanta is ridiculous.

I'm not a Falcons fan. I go when the Bears are in Atlanta. Any white-bread Peachtree City Falcons fan should go to the stadium and act like a FAN. You'd have a much different line here if we were talking about Wake fans sitting around Gboro or Yadkinville watching on TV instead of taking a drive to Groves. If a guy is such a fan, go to the goddamned game.

And they're ignoring the college fans in Atlanta because the biggest games are usually teams from elsewhere playing at the Dome. Tech can't fill their stadium and there's not much else on a Saturday. Sure the UGA dorks are driving around with flags on their cars, but they're not in Athens at the game. That's exactly what these articles are talking about. Armchair fans.

Would also be nice if the damn Marta went to Turner Field...

I go to games, been to 2 Falcons games this year and already went to a Hawks game.

I will admit that I stopped going to Braves games in August because I was disgusted.

The problem with these arguments is that the numbers never back them up. This is just another poorly educated windbag who is stirring poop for his hometeam a couple of days before the playoffs.

I'll now go through the perfunctory exercise of demonstrating that this herb doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance

Let's see, out of 32 teams, the Giants are #2 and the Falcons are #15 in both gross and average NFL attendance for 2011. Last time I checked 15/32 does not equal worst.

Lets take a closer look though.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

Examining attendance percentage for home games, which is really probably the best metric for determining attendance (since you can't sell seats you don't have), the Falcons come in at #17 and the dirty yankbags that play in that beautiful orifice off of the Jersey Turnpike, are #20 in home attendance percentage. The moron even quotes that stat in the article not bothering to compare to the Giants stats.

All that in the largest sports market in the country, with the largest network of public transport to deliver every dirty yankbag in the tri-state area to the steps of their smelly stadium.

Last edited:
You're hitting on two more major issues with Atlanta fans.

Public transportation doesn't service the stadiums. Any other major city- that's a joke. Atlanta's sports sites are chosen based on how much more money the developer can make. And talks about the new stadium are quietly focused on serving the white suburbs.

Second, in terms of success, Atlanta's teams have utterly underachieved. With the exception of a single, lone World Series win, Atlanta has nothing. And after that, the Braves became the Buffalo Bills of Baseball- get to the big stage and disappoint.

If the Atlanta teams could make a roster out of all the athletes that like to live here, it would look like an All-Star/All-Pro roster. But it's where they want to live, not work.

TwinBen: don't forget that Arthur Blank buys all unsold seats for every game. He sells every seat he has.

Last edited:
The public transportation thing rings hollow to me. Dallas and Houston have the poorest of poor public transit, but both cities do very well with attendance for their teams. The only team in those two cities that isn't experiencing good attendance right now is the Astros, who are historically bad.

No one is arguing that Atlanta is the best sports city. But it certainly isnt the worst, either in terms of on field product or attendance.

Again, just another hack who had 1500 words to hand in on Friday and couldnt come up with any sort of new or fresh angle.

In actual journalism news from NYC, I thought this Falcons/Giants preview article from the Times was excellent. Really sad actually when you compare it to what the guys at the AJC are doing.

http://nyti.ms/zGGGEu

I think people are sick of the Atlanta Spirit Group (Hawks and Thrashers) and their antics. Many will not give them a penny of their money after they lied for several years about the teams being for sale, suing each other, etc. Long story short, they have no faith that the ASG is a competent owner. The exact opposite of Arthur Blank.

The public transportation thing rings hollow to me. Dallas and Houston have the poorest of poor public transit, but both cities do very well with attendance for their teams. The only team in those two cities that isn't experiencing good attendance right now is the Astros, who are historically bad.

I guess you never watched any pre-Cuban Mavs games or Rangers games pre-2004.

How about L.A.? They've lost NFL teams.

Miami says hello

I don't know why Los Angeles escapes every time.

Sure they have the Lake-show, but the Clippers are pitiful, Dodger fans don't show up until the 4th inning and I'm not gonna count Anaheim.

Plus they lost 2 NFL TEAMS. NOT ONE. 2.

The writer is going to be on 790 the Zone with the 2 Live Stews this afternoon. I think at 1:30.

Since my link to Robert Parker's wikipedia doesn't work:

On March 28, 2008, Parker declared on ESPN's First Take that he had low expectations for college players Tyler Hansbrough and Kevin Love in the NBA, because they are white.[1]

Parker, who is African American, is not shy to discuss the racial aspects of current sports events, such as the NBA off-court dress policy, or the lack of African Americans in NFL coaching positions. He penned a much-maligned column where he called Hank Aaron a "coward" for declining to attend when Barry Bonds would break the career home run record.

In October 2008, Parker erroneously reported that Kirk Cousins, a quarterback for the Michigan State Spartans, was involved in a fight with members of the Michigan State hockey team. At the time of the fight, Cousins was at church with his parents. After being publicly reproved by head coach Mark Dantonio at his weekly news conference, Parker was suspended by The Detroit News for two weeks.[2]

On December 21, 2008, at a press conference following the Lions' 42-7 loss to the New Orleans Saints, Parker addressed a question Lions head coach Rod Marinelli about Lions defensive coordinator Joe Barry, Marinelli's son-in-law, inquiring whether Marinelli wished that his daughter had "married a better defensive coordinator."[3] The question was criticized as unprofessional and inappropriate. The next day, Parker wrote that the comment was "an attempt at humor" and not a malicious attack.[4] Parker wrote no further columns forThe Detroit News, nor did he attend any press conferences, following the incident. On January 6, 2009, The Detroit News announced that Parker had resigned from the newspaper the previous week.[5]

The problem with these arguments is that the numbers never back them up. This is just another poorly educated windbag who is stirring poop for his hometeam a couple of days before the playoffs.

I'll now go through the perfunctory exercise of demonstrating that this herb doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance

Let's see, out of 32 teams, the Giants are #2 and the Falcons are #15 in both gross and average NFL attendance for 2011. Last time I checked 15/32 does not equal worst.

Lets take a closer look though.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

Examining attendance percentage for home games, which is really probably the best metric for determining attendance (since you can't sell seats you don't have), the Falcons come in at #17 and the dirty yankbags that play in that beautiful orifice off of the Jersey Turnpike, are #20 in home attendance percentage. The moron even quotes that stat in the article not bothering to compare to the Giants stats.

All that in the largest sports market in the country, with the largest network of public transport to deliver every dirty yankbag in the tri-state area to the steps of their smelly stadium.

TAB, another aspect is relative population from which to draw. The NY metro area has ~ 6x the population of the Atlanta metro area, so their "fan attendance/participation" should be at least 6x as high as Atlanta's for them to be considered even.

Back