• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#1 practice priority for our bball team..

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
By far our biggest need in practice is inbounds passing. We may be the worst team I've ever seen at it.

Practice this.

get dino in there to guest coach it

Disagree. Top priority has to be getting TC to be a PG and stop all the crazy, flailing drives into the lane.

Some semblance of transition offense would be nice.

TC is the worst finisher at the rim of any scholarship guard wearing a Wake uniform I think I've ever seen.

Dude's 3 was huge sauce, though. Props to him for that. We don't win without that shot.

Sure.

Agree, however, that we've got to get our offense vs set defense running much more smoothly.

Our transition offense personnel is not very strong. We have no above the rim finishers and a certain guy who usually leads the break never gives the ball up, ever, and can hardly jump.

I wish Chase could have played with the Ish teams. He would have been deadly as the secondary break option from three.

Last edited:
I'll be honest with you. I watched the whole game, as close as I've ever been to WFU basketball, and every single one of TC's bad drives were after the plays called broke down, for whatever reason. Whether it be Ty failing to set the screen and roll or our guards failing to move off of the ball, the non-transition fails were almost always after we had blown our sets.

It really proves nothing that we didn't already know.

1) TC is not a good basketball player. He's not quick enough, explosive enough, or, frankly, basketball smart enough to get the ball into the basket. His jump shot is flat and his touch around the basket is lacking.

2) TC is not a point guard. He's a point guard who doesn't see the floor and he's a shooting guard who can't shoot. But, like the question I posed to the guy behind me: who else do you play? Fields is awful. CJ is a solid facilitator, but he really can't do the one thing that Tony can do, and it showed today...

3) ...gets into the lane. TC is the only player on our roster who can penetrate and get to the basket. Against all odds and logic, he simply can get to the basket. He can't finish, but who else do we have?

Seriously, CJ played 39 minutes today and was completely gassed. We ran a 7-man rotation and our two best players were rightfully tired halfway through the second.

TC plays, not because of bad coaching or as an indictment to our other players, but because we literally don't have anything else... We will next year. If he doesn't improve, then he'll lose his job pretty early.

Terrible trait for a pg...must change.

What must change is people need to run out on the break with him and more importantly learn how to run lanes when they do,

On at least two occasions today it led to misses. One time Ty was almost on Tony's hip giving him no choice but to shoot. another time Travis stayed too tight and allowed the VT player to cover both of them.

Look as I said on the game thread, TC is a 12-15mpg player next year. I'm not saying he's great or even very good. He is our best PG this year.

What must change is people need to run out on the break with him and more importantly learn how to run lanes when they do,

On at least two occasions today it led to misses. One time Ty was almost on Tony's hip giving him no choice but to shoot. another time Travis stayed too tight and allowed the VT player to cover both of them.

Look as I said on the game thread, TC is a 12-15mpg player next year. I'm not saying he's great or ever very good. He is our best PG this year.

So then you agree that it's coaching?

I wish Chase could have played with the Ish teams. He would have been deadly as the secondary break option from three.

I loved that we were running him off of double screens.

One thing I noticed is that our screeners are awful. Carson had a few good ones in the second half, but Ty, Travis, and Nikita cannot set a screen to save their lives. Nikita and Travis are a bit small, so that makes sense, but Ty is unforgivably bad.

When we have an update in personnel, another year for Green and Desrosiers to develop, and a true point guard, Chase is going to have more open looks than he knows what to do with...

Also, his defense on the last possession was EXCEPTIONAL. I'm very proud of his effort today. He's a hell of a player.

Give me a break, people are starting to position themselves for rebounds on Tony transition misses because he has never passed the ball. Not once. Honestly I've seen him run the break over a dozen times this year and have not see him pass the ball on a 2 v 1 or a 3 v 2.

Look as I said on the game thread, TC is a 12-15mpg player next year. I'm not saying he's great or even very good. He is our best PG this year.

On that play Tony had a third guy (CJ or Chase) open in the corner. Not sure about the second one with McKie.

Tony has also got to learn what to do with the ball when he's in the paint. Taking it up against 4 defenders is always the wrong decision.

To be fair CJ did this once as well but he almost never forces anything so he gets the benfit of the doubt.

So then you agree that it's coaching?

I don't think it's coaching really... [Redacted] was very active, working with his CJ and TC, making sure that they knew the play. The guards executed very well.

Ty was garbage, is garbage, and will be garbage. He was about as inactive and uninterested on offense as humanly possible. He wasn't moving, all of his screens were crap, and he rolled with the energy/quickness of an 85-year old. Carson is better, but he's still not strong enough or active enough to succeed in this capacity yet.

That being said, the one coaching criticism I have is that I don't know what the staff wants out of Carson and it seems as though he feels that, too.

Like I've said a lot this year, Carson has nothing in the post: no moves, countermoves, or strength to consistently carve out position. His teammates know this and never feed him, for what I think is good reason, and he's rendered fairly useless in the pick and roll because of he struggles to finish.

Why it took so long for [Redacted] to use Carson in the high screen and roll, as a pick and pop option, is beyond me. Ty is worthless and yet he was seeing far more looks in these positions. Why we don't just use him in this capacity this year is beyond me. I'd like to see this change because Carson can help us out a lot if utilized properly...

TBR, I've never said [Redacted] is a god of a coach.

Hell, the premise of the thread is problem with his coaching.

My bad if I don't [Redacted] is the worst of all time in your world it must mean I think he's Wooden, Dr. Jack and Red combined.

You need to understand there is space between the two positions.

Give me a break, people are starting to position themselves for rebounds on Tony transition misses because he has never passed the ball. Not once. Honestly I've seen him run the break over a dozen times this year and have not see him pass the ball on a 2 v 1 or a 3 v 2.

What are you responding to? Nobody is disputing the fact that Tony is an awful PG. But what are the staff's options? Tony is light years better than Fields and CJ is better utilized off of the ball since he is such a good shooter...

Back