PDA

View Full Version : Bball recruiting update 4/1/2011

DeaconKing
04-01-2011, 10:49 AM
The Eric Katenda visit occurred last week. A source told me it went well, but likely not well enough. Although he has expressed concerns in the media and to the coaches about playing to much inside, we told him hed still be able to do his thing with T. McKie, and used James Johnson/Aminu as an example of two combo forwards playing together. Hes probably visiting Iowa and definitely visiting Notre Dame. Dont hold your breath on this one.

Without a doubt Stefan Jankovic the forward from WV is our no 1 remaining 2012 target. Were in very good standing with him. If he ends up else where I accept us to get a forward with a similar game of fluid and face-up. Like Kale Abrahamson or Zach Auguste or some others I wasn't able to get names for yet.

As is old news now both Aaron Rountree and Codi Miller-McIntyre did very well at the Carolina Challenge. A friend told me enough to earn solid three stars when the next recruiting ranks come out. Congrats to both of them!

Not really recruiting news but Id be as surprised as any one if Ari Stewart ends up at USC, though LA can be very appealling. If a slot opens at Xavier thats a good possibility, or somewhere closer to home, in the Georgia/Alabama/Florida region.

Evan Gordon, a Liberty guard with two years of eligibility is transferring. He is Eric Gordon's little brother. Though I doubt we will extend an offer, since we need big men in the worst way, hes worth a look and thats what we're gonna give him.

Speaking of transfers, Aaric Murray a highly touted big man from LaSalle is transferring. He has two years left as well. Though he has a "difficult reputation" were putting out feelers. Hes even less likely than Gordon though, but would be a huge get in my opinion.

I mentioned Olu Ashaolu last week, the post grad from La Tech. Nothing new on that front, I bet hes either Big East or Big 12 bound.

A person very close to the situation with Lekan Ajayi told me just last night when I asked him about Wake. "It's not happening."

KidA23
04-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the update, King.

Deacon92
04-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Solid 3 stars......

Isn't that what they were before?

buckets
04-01-2011, 10:58 AM
We need to recruit some big men, 4real.

KidA23
04-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Solid 3 stars......

Not in Scout, at least. IIRC, neither Rountree nor CMM were even in the Scout database before committing to us. Now, Rountree is a 2-star (which I believe occurs automatically upon commitment to a high-major program) and CMM just has an "NR" ranking.

WakeForestRanger
04-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Solid 3 stars......

No that's why some posters pitched such hissy fits when they committed. Rankings before the spring/summer of their junior year are only really reliable for the cream of the crop and even that isn't always true.

DieselDeac
04-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Tough news on Katenda.

Gordon's scout profile (http://wakeforest.scout.com/a.z?s=192&p=8&c=1&nid=3749837)

Aaric Murray's profile (http://wakeforest.scout.com/a.z?s=192&p=8&c=1&nid=3442617)

Found an article from La Salle on Murray here (http://www.goexplorers.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032411aaa.html).

He's listed at 6'10" 250 on their bio page. (http://www.goexplorers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/murray_aaric00.html)

Murray would certainly fill a void.

THE DEUCE
04-01-2011, 12:07 PM
who rates these guys!? nerds that never played basketball before or coaches?

TheIshThatSaved WakeForest
04-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Coaches rate them by giving out offers.

TBDeac
04-01-2011, 12:18 PM
So was the article saying we were Katenda's number 1 just BS, or just we were number 1 until he visits some place he likes better (like ND)?

KidA23
04-01-2011, 12:19 PM
No that's why some posters pitched such hissy fits when they committed. Rankings before the spring/summer of their junior year are only really reliable for the cream of the crop and even that isn't always true.

Very true, although I'd at least mention that the fact that some of our commits (CMM and Washington, at least) have already reclassified once lends some creedence to the "hissy fits" since reclassification means that scouts and other college coaches have had a full additional year to give them higher rankings or extend offers and still have not done so.

Either way, I agree that generally, bball rankings for kids PRIOR to the summer between their junior and senior year of HS aren't nearly as reliable as the post-summer ones.

JackBurden
04-01-2011, 01:31 PM
any news on tabb?

MBADeac
04-01-2011, 01:37 PM
the issue for me is that it almost appears as though we are supposed to be excited that buzz identified and landed 3* recruits....that should be the bare minimum any ACC program expects of its coach....this in no way should be viewed as some kind of victory by buzz

jamesda3
04-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Murray would be a big big help for us.

El Chupacabra
04-01-2011, 01:46 PM
The La Salle coach is Dr. John Giannini, the little remembered third candidate in our 2001 coaching search after Prosser and Beilein.

KidA23
04-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Damn, Murray looks perfect for us, at least in terms of height, weight, position, and what he's done the past 2 years. Big, experienced, and productive.

Hopefully with Battle's Philly connections and a little help from Dr. John (maybe he'd throw us a bone for almost hiring him? I'm reaching here), we could come up with something.

El Chupacabra
04-01-2011, 02:01 PM
I'd be interested to hear more details about his "difficult reputation."

jamesda3
04-01-2011, 02:07 PM

+1

RollTheQuad06
04-01-2011, 02:08 PM

Murray does seem like he would be a good get. wonder if the reputation is academic or on court, or otherwise. Too "difficult" and he probably wouldn't fit in with the new culture...

BzzzIn
04-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Would Murray have to sit out next year?

Deacsfan27
04-01-2011, 02:56 PM
So was the article saying we were Katenda's number 1 just BS, or just we were number 1 until he visits some place he likes better (like ND)?

I mean we are his #1. We just don't know how long that will last haha.

1976Deac
04-01-2011, 05:17 PM
A little help here?

1. What is the difficulty re Murray?
2. What is the likelihood of getting Murray?
3. Again, what is the status of Tabb?

Two Star Gym Rat
04-01-2011, 05:56 PM

Psychologically unstable. Refused to play hard or do what Giannini asked him to do. One game, Giannini replaced him and he wouldn't stay seated, even after multiple times of being told to sit down. Kept getting up and pacing behind the bench.

My A-10 friends say that he has million dollar talent and a 10 cent head. Stay away from Mr. Murray.

dubs21
04-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Thats exactly what Bzd needs.

Deacsfan27
04-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Psychologically unstable. Refused to play hard or do what Giannini asked him to do. One game, Giannini replaced him and he wouldn't stay seated, even after multiple times of being told to sit down. Kept getting up and pacing behind the bench.

My A-10 friends say that he has million dollar talent and a 10 cent head. Stay away from Mr. Murray.

Yeah we DO NOT WANT that.

KidA23
04-01-2011, 08:07 PM

lol yea, somehow I don't see this happening.

DeaconCav06
04-01-2011, 08:12 PM

Since we are going to be terrible anyway it could be fun to take out Murray for Ty and Ty for Murray. At least we would be entertained.

deacvision7
04-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Since we are going to be terrible anyway it could be fun to take out Murray for Ty and Ty for Murray. At least we would be entertained.

http://blu-rayunlimited.com/img/features/gladiatorsplash.gif

DeaconKing
04-02-2011, 10:24 AM
any news on tabb?

This is a good question and 1 i don't have an answer for. I don't think anyone does except for Coach Bzdelik right now. Just a guess on my part but I don't think we will hear anything certain until late April, early May. I hope this has more to do with Melvins best interest and academic results and less to do with waiting on Katenda.

SPDeac
04-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Very true, although I'd at least mention that the fact that some of our commits (CMM and Washington, at least) have already reclassified once lends some creedence to the "hissy fits" since reclassification means that scouts and other college coaches have had a full additional year to give them higher rankings or extend offers and still have not done so.

Either way, I agree that generally, bball rankings for kids PRIOR to the summer between their junior and senior year of HS aren't nearly as reliable as the post-summer ones.

I believe CMM has not reclassified, and is a true hs jr. Rountree did however.

2&2 Slider To Leyritz
04-02-2011, 11:21 AM

Yeah, I asked one of the A-10 media experts about him, and he said that he has an NBA body and talent, but it is tougher to light a fire in him than to put one out. He also spends too much time floating on the perimeter instead of going down low where he could legitimately dominate.

OldGoldBeard
04-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Recruit Scoop confirms Katenda will visit Iowa this weekend.

He also says Ashaolu is "hearing from Kentucky, San Diego State, Duquesne, Oregon, Kansas State, Iowa State & Mississippi State." Doesn't look good.

Aaric Murray supposed to visit Okie State next weekend.

Kale Abrahamson's (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Kale-Abrahamson-99218) Rivals profile. Ugh. Two-star player on ESPN with an evaluation (not 2 stars by default.)

Zach Auguste (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/103374/zach-auguste) at least has some high-major offers, but his ESPN write-up sounds like Ty Walker's.

In other ACC news, UVA picked up a big-time commit from 2012 SF Evan Nolte, top 75 player on both Scout and Rivals whom we were recruiting at one point.

WakeForestRanger
04-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Kale is in the middle of a serious growth spurt & could easily end up at 6'9. So don't be surprised if his rankings is bumped up to 3 stars by the end of the summer.

OldGoldBeard
04-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Maybe that will finally get him that coveted offer from Drake.

KidA23
04-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Maybe that will finally get him that coveted offer from Drake.

I just spit up some of my drink.

WakeForestRanger
04-02-2011, 04:05 PM
So it's a bad thing to identify talent before other programs. Good to know.

OldGoldBeard
04-02-2011, 04:16 PM
You say "talent," I say "Richard Joyce." To-may-to, to-mah-to.

JimDuncan
04-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Hey Deacon fans...any update on Katenda? Heard good things about his visit last night - and don't feed me the pouty BS of "Well, I heard that it was good but Notre Dame is a really great school and he's going to their spring game" WHO CARES?? Show some f'ing enthusiasm! Wake is a really great school too and in way better climate, with way better chics. That counts for something right?? I am really hoping we land Eric - he would be a fantastic grab for 2011 and a nice way to usher in the transition period away from hoops.

Eric, if you're reading this - come on down to W-S!

Chill22
04-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Hey Deacon fans...any update on Katenda? Heard good things about his visit last night - and don't feed me the pouty BS of "Well, I heard that it was good but Notre Dame is a really great school and he's going to their spring game" WHO CARES?? Show some f'ing enthusiasm! Wake is a really great school too and in way better climate, with way better chics. That counts for something right?? I am really hoping we land Eric - he would be a fantastic grab for 2011 and a nice way to usher in the transition period away from hoops.

Eric, if you're reading this - come on down to W-S!

This. My final 2 choices were Wake & ND. Had a scholly to ND that would have covered all expenses and given me pocket money as well. Turned it down. 4 winters in South Bend at a school with 2 guys for every girl? Nothx.

siff
04-02-2011, 09:37 PM
I believe CMM has not reclassified, and is a true hs jr. Rountree did however.

That is correct

KidA23
04-02-2011, 09:57 PM
That is correct

Thanks. I knew that Washington and 1 of our 2 other commits (CMM or Rountree) from the 2012 class had reclassified, I just couldn't remember which one.

WakeForestRanger
04-02-2011, 11:35 PM
You say "talent," I say "Richard Joyce." To-may-to, to-mah-to.

Richard Joyce was a four star recruit.

Josh Howard was a three star recruit though.

wakesquirrel
04-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Any word on CMM's knee? Heard he was tweeting about an injury to his knee.

Ron's Goon Squad
04-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Abrahamson plays like he is 6'2 since he starts his shot at navel level. Needs work on those mechanics. Like his overall energy though.

WakeForestRanger
04-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Any word on CMM's knee? Heard he was tweeting about an injury to his knee.

Wasn't anything serious.

FreakinDeacon
04-06-2011, 07:47 PM
A little video on codi.
http://www.bloggersodear.com/2011/3/27/2075530/codi-miller-mcintyre-carolina-challenge-video-reel

TexasDeac10
04-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Abrahamson plays like he is 6'2 since he starts his shot at navel level. Needs work on those mechanics. Like his overall energy though.

I am certain this is not something Ron's Goon Squad would say