• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball recruiting update 4/1/2011

DeaconKing

Reaction score
The Eric Katenda visit occurred last week. A source told me it went well, but likely not well enough. Although he has expressed concerns in the media and to the coaches about playing to much inside, we told him hed still be able to do his thing with T. McKie, and used James Johnson/Aminu as an example of two combo forwards playing together. Hes probably visiting Iowa and definitely visiting Notre Dame. Dont hold your breath on this one.

Without a doubt Stefan Jankovic the forward from WV is our no 1 remaining 2012 target. Were in very good standing with him. If he ends up else where I accept us to get a forward with a similar game of fluid and face-up. Like Kale Abrahamson or Zach Auguste or some others I wasn't able to get names for yet.

As is old news now both Aaron Rountree and Codi Miller-McIntyre did very well at the Carolina Challenge. A friend told me enough to earn solid three stars when the next recruiting ranks come out. Congrats to both of them!

Not really recruiting news but Id be as surprised as any one if Ari Stewart ends up at USC, though LA can be very appealling. If a slot opens at Xavier thats a good possibility, or somewhere closer to home, in the Georgia/Alabama/Florida region.

Evan Gordon, a Liberty guard with two years of eligibility is transferring. He is Eric Gordon's little brother. Though I doubt we will extend an offer, since we need big men in the worst way, hes worth a look and thats what we're gonna give him.

Speaking of transfers, Aaric Murray a highly touted big man from LaSalle is transferring. He has two years left as well. Though he has a "difficult reputation" were putting out feelers. Hes even less likely than Gordon though, but would be a huge get in my opinion.

I mentioned Olu Ashaolu last week, the post grad from La Tech. Nothing new on that front, I bet hes either Big East or Big 12 bound.

A person very close to the situation with Lekan Ajayi told me just last night when I asked him about Wake. "It's not happening."

Last edited by a moderator:
Solid 3 stars......

Isn't that what they were before?

We need to recruit some big men, 4real.

Solid 3 stars......

Not in Scout, at least. IIRC, neither Rountree nor CMM were even in the Scout database before committing to us. Now, Rountree is a 2-star (which I believe occurs automatically upon commitment to a high-major program) and CMM just has an "NR" ranking.

Solid 3 stars......

No that's why some posters pitched such hissy fits when they committed. Rankings before the spring/summer of their junior year are only really reliable for the cream of the crop and even that isn't always true.

So was the article saying we were Katenda's number 1 just BS, or just we were number 1 until he visits some place he likes better (like ND)?

No that's why some posters pitched such hissy fits when they committed. Rankings before the spring/summer of their junior year are only really reliable for the cream of the crop and even that isn't always true.

Very true, although I'd at least mention that the fact that some of our commits (CMM and Washington, at least) have already reclassified once lends some creedence to the "hissy fits" since reclassification means that scouts and other college coaches have had a full additional year to give them higher rankings or extend offers and still have not done so.

Either way, I agree that generally, bball rankings for kids PRIOR to the summer between their junior and senior year of HS aren't nearly as reliable as the post-summer ones.

the issue for me is that it almost appears as though we are supposed to be excited that buzz identified and landed 3* recruits....that should be the bare minimum any ACC program expects of its coach....this in no way should be viewed as some kind of victory by buzz

Murray would be a big big help for us.

The La Salle coach is Dr. John Giannini, the little remembered third candidate in our 2001 coaching search after Prosser and Beilein.

Damn, Murray looks perfect for us, at least in terms of height, weight, position, and what he's done the past 2 years. Big, experienced, and productive.

Hopefully with Battle's Philly connections and a little help from Dr. John (maybe he'd throw us a bone for almost hiring him? I'm reaching here), we could come up with something.

I'd be interested to hear more details about his "difficult reputation."

I'd be interested to hear more details about his "difficult reputation."

Murray does seem like he would be a good get. wonder if the reputation is academic or on court, or otherwise. Too "difficult" and he probably wouldn't fit in with the new culture...

Back