• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

[Redacted] Recruit Playing in the Final 4

CHillDeac

Reaction score
I had no idea that [Redacted] originally recruited VCUs Toby Veal but Veal left Colorado after only one season, transferring to a Juco, from there, to VCU.

As a senior in high school in Savannah, Ga., Veal had been recruited hard by University of Colorado head coach Jeff [Redacted], a former head coach of the Denver Nuggets. Veal figured if he was going to get to the NBA, [Redacted] would have a good idea as to how he could get there.

But even the best-laid plans don't always work out, which brings Veal to his current situation. After transferring from Colorado after one frustrating year, Veal has been named the Panhandle Conference's Newcomer of the Year after a standout season for No. 5 Northwest Florida State College. He's also a big reason the Raiders are conference champions and one of the favorites to win the FCCAA tournament starting Wednesday in Marianna.

Veal's tenure at Colorado was a frustrating one, marred by a lack of playing time and a lack of understanding as to why [Redacted] wasnt playing him. But that stop in Colorado helped prepare Veal to excel as a Raider.

"I went to play for ([Redacted]) because he coached in the NBA for a long time," Veal said. "I wanted to see how that was, but it didn't work out too good. He said playing time relied on me. I just didn't understand why I wasn't playing because I did everything he told me to do."

http://www.nwfraiders.org/article.cfm?ID=108

Like someone mentioned before - this same article will come back up in 2014, and the player will be Ari.

Like someone mentioned before - this same article will come back up in 2014, and the player will be Ari.

too bad [Redacted] didnt recruit ari.

also the post you are referring to was talking about skeen (not veal) and wake forest in general not [Redacted] specifically. i guess when you have on your bzout glasses its hard to see things properly

It wouldn't be about Ari because we all saw him "play" earlier this past season and could see what the issues were, or at least, what SOME of the issues were (horrendous ballhandling, defense, and passing + reports of poor professionalism, discipline, and intensity during practices). Veal sounds like a freshman who didn't get any court time at all and then thrived in a different environment entirely.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be about Ari because we all saw him "play" earlier this past season and could see what the issues were, or at least, what SOME of the issues were (horrendous ballhandling, defense, and passing + reports of poor professionalism, discipline, and intensity during practices). Veal sounds like a freshman who didn't get any court time at all and then thrived in a different environment entirely.

True. But, perhaps a transfer is what Ari needs to fix those things. A different coach may be able to get through to him better. I'm not saying this is evidence that Buzz sucks, but sometimes a coach and player don't mesh. But, maybe not, we will see.

Veal was part of a 6 man recuiting class that Bz brought in to Colorado. 3 of them, including Veal, left after one year with Bz. The next year he brought in 5 and only one left after that first year. But of course by that time, Bz had announced he was leaving Colorado, which may have reduced the number of defections.

Back