• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN - way early Top 25 for 2012 football

JimDuncan

Reaction score
FSU, VT, Clemson, and NCSU in top 25. smh. Discuss.

I get FSU and VT but I don't understand Clemson and NCSU considering what they need to replace (which is stated in plain english below).

8. Florida State Seminoles:
We're taking the bait on the Seminoles again, even after they failed to live up to very high aspirations with a 9-4 finish in 2011. But FSU's lofty preseason billing might have been a year premature and injuries plagued the Seminoles throughout the season. FSU's defense is as good as advertised and it might be even better in 2012 with nine starters coming back. Defensive end Brandon Jenkins and cornerback Greg Reid both passed up entering the NFL draft to return to school. If FSU is going to become a legitimate BCS contender, though, its offense has to be better and more explosive. The Seminoles had young skill players in 2011 and they started four freshman offensive linemen against Notre Dame in the Champs Sports Bowl. Another concern will be replacing All-American punter Shawn Powell. FSU plays seven home games, but will travel to Virginia Tech during ACC play.

18. Virginia Tech Hokies: If there's one thing you can count on every season it's that Virginia Tech will win at least 10 games and be in contention in the ACC title race. With a new quarterback and revamped defense, the Hokies went 11-3 in 2011. Virginia Tech will have to rebuild its offense to do it again in 2012. Quarterback Logan Thomas will be back for his second season as a starter, but the Hokies won't have record-setting tailback David Wilson, who is leaving for the NFL draft as a junior. They're also losing four starting offensive linemen and top receivers Jarrett Boykin and Danny Coale. The good news is as many as nine starters might be back on defense -- if junior cornerback Jayron Hosley comes back. The Hokies play nonconference games at Pittsburgh and against Cincinnati at FedEx Field in Landover, Md., and also play ACC road games at Miami, North Carolina and Clemson.

22. Clemson Tigers: Tigers coach Dabo Swinney can only hope his team uses its embarrassing loss in the Orange Bowl as motivation during the offseason. Clemson won an ACC title and started 8-0, but a 2-4 slump down the stretch left some serious concerns. Quarterback Tajh Boyd should be better in his second season running offensive coordinator Chad Morris' high-octane attack. Tailback Andre Ellington is considering jumping to the NFL draft, and junior tight end Dwayne Allen has already decided to turn pro. The Tigers must also replace four starting offensive linemen and there isn't a lot of depth in the trenches. Five starters must be replaced on defense, including top linebacker Andre Branch. The Tigers will open the season against Auburn in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game and play ACC foes Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech at home.

24. NC State Wolfpack: After a 2-3 start, in which Wolfpack coach Tom O'Brien was criticized for turning quarterback Russell Wilson loose, NC State rallied to win six of its last eight games, including a 31-24 victory over Louisville in the Belk Bowl. Quarterback Mike Glennon ended up being a more-than-capable replacement for Wilson, throwing for 3,054 yards with 31 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He'll be without three of his top four receivers in 2012, with wideouts T.J. Graham and Jay Smith and tight end George Bryan each departing. Seven defensive starters are expected back, but the Pack will have to rebuild its defensive line and linebacker corps. The secondary should return intact, including ball-hawking cornerback David Amerson. NC State opens the '12 season against Tennessee in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game and also plays nonconference games against Connecticut (road) and FCS foes South Alabama (home) and The Citadel (home).

Another list from a site who does this every year: http://nationalchamps.net/2012/earlybird/index.htm. We sneak in (to the top 50)! Although they have Givens returning so that could change.

Also think GT could be dangerous next year. They return a ton on O so the triple option should be clicking near peak efficiency

Last edited:
I really do not know what more South Carolina has to do to get ranked (even) better. 11-2 - they lost to Arkansas and Auburn this year - WITHOUT Lattimore and a novice QB. They have QB, Lattimore, Clowney all coming back but have a really tough schedule - looking forward to them making moves next year.

FSU...again. How many years in a row do they have to underachieve before everyone gives up on them. Jesus.

NC State won't be a top 25 team with Mike Glennon at QB.

This am on ESPN two of the analysts displayed their top 5 for next season: BOTH with Clemson at 5...bc they "believe in Dabo"; one had FSU in there as well, but they always seem to underachieve so very suspect IMO

Another list from a site who does this every year: http://nationalchamps.net/2012/earlybird/index.htm. We sneak in (to the top 50)! Although they have Givens returning so that could change.

Also think GT could be dangerous next year. They return a ton on O so the triple option should be clicking near peak efficiency

This may should nuts, be I really think we've got enough depth and talent at WR that losing Givens will have a minimal effect. That's not because I don't think CG is great, I do, it's because we've got other weapons and another year of maturity, along with CG not being there will make Tanner spread the wealth a little bit more next season.

I really do not know what more South Carolina has to do to get ranked (even) better. 11-2 - they lost to Arkansas and Auburn this year - WITHOUT Lattimore and a novice QB. They have QB, Lattimore, Clowney all coming back but have a really tough schedule - looking forward to them making moves next year.

Lattimore played in the Auburn game.....he was hurt the following week vs. Miss. St.

Stop listening to your gf.

NC State won't be a top 25 team with Mike Glennon at QB.

Glennon is not as bad as people think. He had a crap line to work with all year, the reason why he took so many sacks. He can escape better than I thought (though is still not good at it) and improved tremendously throughout the year. Not to mention his WRs were okay at best (Graham and Palmer) It wouldn't surprise me to see better numbers next year from him. He just needs to work on not locking onto his receiver, and limiting the mistakes.

According to the article above, it's going to be a very busy weekend in Atlanta to open the season.................

The Tigers will open the season against Auburn in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game

NC State opens the '12 season against Tennessee in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game

And, of course, the Deacs will once again be picked to finish 7th in a division consisting of 6 teams.

Most of these so called experts have absolutely no clue.

FSU...again. How many years in a row do they have to underachieve before everyone gives up on them. Jesus.

I get what you are saying but the fact that they won 7 of the last 8 including dominating UF (I Know Bad UF team) at the Swamp and getting by Notre Dame in the Champs Sports ball with a OL consisting of 4 true FR played into that.8 True Freshman were on offense for most of that game. Plus they get everyone back from a great defense including 3 turning down the NFL and a top 3 recruiting class.

Definitely underachieved this year though. Will be interested in how EJ responds to shoulder surgery after playing with bum shoulder all season.

This am on ESPN two of the analysts displayed their top 5 for next season: BOTH with Clemson at 5...bc they "believe in Dabo"; one had FSU in there as well, but they always seem to underachieve so very suspect IMO

Keep on believing in Dabo...this guy is a first class idiot. Maybe ESPN should have WVU at #5.

Gamecocks could easilty wind up in Top 5 with what they have returning. Defense was in Top 5 of the country & they don't lose that much. Hopefully a fully healthy Lattimore, an experienced Conner Shaw and a few more WR's to take Jeffries place. Problem they have is going through the SEC. UGa will be real good next year, they have to go to LSU and get to open with Mizzou at home.

Meanwhile, I think UGa missed out again of the pleasures of running through all the tougher West. In 2010, USC had to play the A's--Auburn, Arkansas & Alabama. I saw them beat then #1 Bama in Columbia in one helluva game. But they have never beaten Auburn since joining the SEC. Spurrier is gradually getting them over some of the humps. He has gotten their focus off only Klemsun [ who they have owned these days in every major sport ] and onto the SEC schedule. he got them to the title game last year & got them their first ever 11 win season this year.

That is one tough men's league they have in the SEC so I would expect to see LSU back in Top 2 as they really don't lose anyone & will hopefully get a top notch QB. Saban has Bama rolling, Ark is tough, A & M will add to that division and Auburn is building back strongly with a huge Chic win over UVa.
UGa is tough, Florida will be back, Vandy as we know is getting it started, Mizzou joins the East....so tie it on in the SEC.

Meanwhile the piddling ACC might finish again with no one inside the Top 15 when all is said and done.

I'd put South Carolina at 6 and Georgia at 10.

UGA's preseason ranking is largely irrelevant. They avoid playing Bama, LSU and Arky again next year.

They effectively have a 1 game playoff against S.Car for the SEC East, which would give them a berth in a one game playoff to play for the national title game.

If UGA can just keep from the stupid letdown they've become known for, they have a pretty easy path to at least get to the SEC championship.

I'll go on the record saying I think FSU will be legit next year. I thought Clemson would be too but I didn't know they were losing 4 OL. Really doubt NC State will finish in the top 25 - we need to find a way to win @ NC State.

South Carolina loses a ton on D next year and their offense will be one dimensional. Georgia should walk away with the SEC East especially with their schedule.

Clemson is in there for the same reason people thought the nat'l champ game last night is boring. Its gotten to where people judge football quality on the "sexy factor". Clemson has some stud skill players that put up a lot of big plays. In the current superficial definition of college football this=good. No way a team that lost like that in the post season annnnnd is losing 4 o-linemen and their blue-collar offensive players should be in the top 25

Back