• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Worst Team in ACC History? Wake 2012 might challenge Wake 2011

After this year, which team will be remembered as worst in ACC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stonz

Reaction score
Last year there was plenty of discussion concerning whether or not Wake had the worst basketball team in ACC history. I don't remember any consensus forming, but we were certainly right 'up' there at 8-24 (1-15), outscored by 18 PPG in conference play, #251 in KenPom.

Just one year later, there is already another contender for that dubious honor: Boston College. The Eagles currently start four freshman after losing their entire starting five off of a team that missed the tournament last year. I think this is particularly interesting for Wake fans, because:

a) If BC goes 0-fer in conference play this year, I think that would eliminate 2010-2011 Wake Forest from the discussion of worst ACC team ever. If they win one game, it's probably a toss-up. If BC wins multiple conference games, I think that cements Wake as the worst ACC team since expansion, if not longer.

b) Whether or not BC wins a conference game or two this year depends largely on their games against us.

2011-2012 Boston College

Current Record: 5-10 (0-1)
Next Game: Tomorrow (1/12) v. Clemson
Line: 9 point underdog

Computer Numbers, Thru 1/10:

KenPom Rank: 271 (out of 345 schools)
Sagarin Rank: 278
Sagarin Predictor: 284
KenPom Projection: 7-23 (2-14)
Next Game Win Prob: 18%
Offense Rank: 277 (12th in ACC)
Defense Rank: 249 (12th in ACC)

Notable Wins: None
Notable Losses: @ Holy Cross (by 22), v. UMass (36)

ACC Pt. Differential: -23 PPG

(I fully realize that by starting this thread, BC will probably beat Clemson tomorrow and then beat us next week to remove any intrigue)

I'm adding a poll to see where everybody stands now. Will BC become the worst team in ACC history? Will Wake hold on to that honor? Or was there a team even worse?

Last edited:
Can you post where we ended up last year in those computer models?

Just for comparison's sake...

First 15 Games of the Season:

2011 Wake
W-L:
7-8
Best Wins: 80, 231, 232
Worst Losses: 297, 263, 205

2012 BC
W-L: 5-10
Best Wins: 164, 244, 286
Worst Losses: 252, 231, 215

(KenPom rankings)

80-81 Georgia Tech is still the worst.

This is without a doubt the correct answer. Period. End of discussion. If you did not see them play on a regular basis, then you can not possibly appreciate that fact. I did and they were.

Last year was a historically bad year for WFU and last year's team would have wiped the floor with the first Tech team in the ACC. It was double-bag ugly.

One thing worth noting (and interpret this as you will)... ACC Schools had an average total team rating of .8245 in 2011. In 2012, that rating is .7613.

While those numbers don't mean much to the average Joe; the difference equates to the conference essentially falling from a down (but still respectable) ACC in 2011 to being virtually indistinguishable from the strength of conferences like the Mountain West & SEC over the past 5 years in 2012.

Yeah I wasn't around back then but looking at that GT record of 4-23 (0-15) it looks like they are the clubhouse leaders. Their average ACC loss was by 24.2 points.

This is without a doubt the correct answer. Period. End of discussion. If you did not see them play on a regular basis, then you can not possibly appreciate that fact. I did and they were.

Last year was a historically bad year for WFU and last year's team would have wiped the floor with the first Tech team in the ACC. It was double-bag ugly.

Let's not speak in absolutes. That team played before my time, so all I know is what I see here. That GT team went 0-14, outscored by 22 PPG. That is certainly going to be difficult to 'top', but I think its worth noting that the ACC was substantially better back then. That was an 8 team league, half of which was top 20 nationally. The ACC currently has 12 teams, with only two top 20 (arguably 3, depends on your opinion of UVA).

If BC went 0-16 against this ACC, I think that would be worse. Obviously that is subjective though, and I'd like to hear more about that GT team.

When it's all said and done, please let it be BC...

Let's not speak in absolutes. That team played before my time, so all I know is what I see here. That GT team went 0-14, outscored by 22 PPG. That is certainly going to be difficult to 'top', but I think its worth noting that the ACC was substantially better back then. That was an 8 team league, half of which was top 20 nationally. The ACC currently has 12 teams, with only two top 20 (arguably 3, depends on your opinion of UVA).

If BC went 0-16 against this ACC, I think that would be worse. Obviously that is subjective though, and I'd like to hear more about that GT team.

GT that year beat Flagler, University of the South, Presby and Newberry (I don't think any were D1 at the time).

They had losses to Western Carolina, Wofford, Troy State and Baptist (by 23).

Can you post where we ended up last year in those computer models?

Sure...2011 Wake Forest numbers are on the right below. The worse number is in bold:

2012 Boston College v. 2011 Wake Forest

Current Record: 5-10 (0-1) | 8-24 (1-15)
KenPom Rank: 271 | 251
Sagarin Rank: 278 | 246
Sagarin Predictor: 284 | 242
Offense Rank: 277 (12th in ACC) | 235 (12th in ACC)
Defense Rank: 249 (12th in ACC) | 256 (12th in ACC)
ACC Pt. Differential: -23 PPG | -18.2 PPG

OK, no more absolutes (although my comments were intended to convey that having seen both, there is no question in my mind ... even though we dont know how bad BC might be this year).

The most notable single memory from that year was when top-ranked UVa and Ralph Sampson had their way with GIT in Atlanta and Tech's plumber of a center Lee Goza got so frustrated at his inability to compete that he spat in Sampson's face during the game.

That GT team also played at a time when college hoops was stronger overall and the ACC in particular was a lot stronger than it is now.

The ACC was much stronger then than it is now. True.
That GT team was the worst ever in the history of the ACC. True, too.

"Trust me." :couch:

GT that year beat Flagler, University of the South, Presby and Newberry (I don't think any were D1 at the time).

They had losses to Western Carolina, Wofford, Troy State and Baptist (by 23).

BC this year has wins over New Hampshire, UC Riverside, Stony Brook, Bryant, and Sacred Heart.

(New Hampshire is an America East Conference bottom-feeder that took BC down to the final possession. UC Riverside is a Big West bottom-feeder that took BC to overtime. Bryant is a Northeast Conference bottom-feeder that just joined D1, and is 2-13 on the year. Sacred Heart is also a NEC bottom-feeder.

Stony Brook is actually a decent win.)

On the flip side, BC has lost to Massachusetts, Holy Cross, and Boston U by an average of 24 points per game. Two of those three were at home.

What was our average margin of defeat in ACC games last year?

Back