• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kevin Steele out at Clemson

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
Clemson defensive coordinator Kevin Steele told ESPN.com he has been fired after three seasons, but coach Dabo Swinney and the university are sticking to their statement that Steele was not fired and he is leaving to pursue other coaching opportunities.

Regardless of the semantics, Steele confirmed Thursday in a text message to ESPN.com that he will not return to Clemson in 2012.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...n-steele-clemson-tigers-defensive-coordinator

Extraordinarily unsurprising.

Once the front runner here at UT, the Vols dropped interest after the bowl game. With Dooley under fire, and 5 asst. coaches leaving- presumably because the head coaching situation here is so tenuous, UT might get interested again but it does not seem so at this point.

Not a suprise that he's gone.

For anyone interested in football trivia, the attached ESPN article incorrectly stated that 70 points was the most scored in any bowl game. Not true. Believe this honor goes to the Univ of Delaware, who blasted CW Post (NY) by the score of 72-22 in the 1971 Boardwalk Bowl, and indoor bowl played on real grass that used to be held in Atlantic City.

Once the front runner here at UT, the Vols dropped interest after the bowl game. With Dooley under fire, and 5 asst. coaches leaving- presumably because the head coaching situation here is so tenuous, UT might get interested again but it does not seem so at this point.

UT is about to hire Navy's DC

For anyone interested in football trivia, the attached ESPN article incorrectly stated that 70 points was the most scored in any bowl game. Not true. Believe this honor goes to the Univ of Delaware, who blasted CW Post (NY) by the score of 72-22 in the 1971 Boardwalk Bowl, and indoor bowl played on real grass that used to be held in Atlantic City.

That sounds like an awesome bowl. . .

The only thing shocking about this is that it took them a week to do it. Steel just never looked the DC part to me, always wearing his preppy Clemson Turtle-neck. Who was the DC they had before Steele, that was overweight, red-faced from yelling all the time, usually sweating and sloppy looking? That guy looked like a defensive coordinator.

Steele is a great recruiter but he's not the best person to have on your staff. Very manipulative person from what I've heard back during his time in Tally.

Funny thing is that Clemson denies they fired him and said he left on his own. lol

Steele is getting paid $1.3MM to fall on the sword. I would do it too.

The only thing shocking about this is that it took them a week to do it. Steel just never looked the DC part to me, always wearing his preppy Clemson Turtle-neck. Who was the DC they had before Steele, that was overweight, red-faced from yelling all the time, usually sweating and sloppy looking? That guy looked like a defensive coordinator.

this guy?
clemson_defensive_coordinator_resigns

Believe he wanted the HC job after Tommy was fired. Obviously Dabo got it. Was the DC at Illinois for a few years, will now be the assistant head coach/Co-DC at UNC.

Steele is a great recruiter but he's not the best person to have on your staff. Very manipulative person from what I've heard back during his time in Tally.

Funny thing is that Clemson denies they fired him and said he left on his own. lol

To be fair, Wellman/Grobe said the same about Billings and Henry last week.

Reggie Herring.

"We have heard several disturbing things about Steele's possible psychological breakdown during the Orange Bowl game. Multiple sources have said that he was calling plays from his days with the Panthers, which aren't in the Clemson playbook, and as such the players were totally confused. It reportedly happened during the Auburn game as well. I do not know if that is true, and frankly think it a bit farfetched, but I do know that Steele has a reputation for being a nervous wreck on gamedays."

hahahaha

Wellman/Grobe said Billings and Henry were leaving to pursue other opportunities, just like Clemson said about Steele. I assume that's what ph meant.

Not to be an ass but again, no. Grobe said it "would be good" for the two to have other opportunities and made it clear that neither had a choice in departing.

WF never denied that they were let go involuntarily. So, to be fair, it is not like the Steele situation at all.

The ESPN article is technically correct - the Boardwalk Bowl was a game played between members of the NCAA College Division (now known as Division II & Division III). What we refer to as "Bowl Games" designates games played between Division I FBS teams, which would have been all games played between teams of the "University Division" up until 1973, so the Boardwalk Bowl wouldn't qualify.

Back