• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad Area Sports Radio

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
I used to listen to sports talk radio during my 1 hour commute every day, but I can't find anything on the radio these days. Are there local stations covering sports in the Winston area anymore or has everyone just gone to XM?

Thanks!

1230/1320 AM have combo of ESPN national and old PacMan show from Charlotte; in some areas of Triad you can also get 620AM from Durham and 730AM from Charlotte which have various local/national programming

I used to listen to sports talk radio during my 1 hour commute every day, but I can't find anything on the radio these days. Are there local stations covering sports in the Winston area anymore or has everyone just gone to XM?

Thanks!

No not really. There used to be 790am that covered Triad stuff, but it went Hispanic a few years ago. The closest thing now is 1230am, the late afternoon/evening show called "The Drive" covers a lot of ACC and SEC, but very little is ever said about Triad area stuff. One of the hosts on there is pretty decent, Taylor Zarzour, but the other guy Marc James is a blowhard and has pretty much caused me to stop listening. So, basically there isn't a good choice on radio in these parts, IMHO.

I actually really like Zarzour. I'm not sure if I've ever heard a sports jock be more respectful of callers when disagreeing with them.

But the signal sucks in W-S. I use Tune-In radio through my phone.

No not really. There used to be 790am that covered Triad stuff, but it went Hispanic a few years ago. The closest thing now is 1230am, the late afternoon/evening show called "The Drive" covers a lot of ACC and SEC, but very little is ever said about Triad area stuff. One of the hosts on there is pretty decent, Taylor Zarzour, but the other guy Marc James is a blowhard and has pretty much caused me to stop listening. So, basically there isn't a good choice on radio in these parts, IMHO.

I actually really like Zarzour. I'm not sure if I've ever heard a sports jock be more respectful of callers when disagreeing with them.

I like Zarzour too, if it was just him I'd listen everyday, but I just can't stand Marc James. He doesn't know when to shut up and let other people talk and thinks he knows way more than he actually does.

I like Zarzour too, if it was just him I'd listen everyday, but I just can't stand Marc James. He doesn't know when to shut up and let other people talk and thinks he knows way more than he actually does.

I too think Zarzour is a very good on-air talent - I wish he could do the show alone. I find it hard to listen to the show due to his sidekick (Marc James), who, aside from being a hyperbolic dipshit, seems to confuse knowing a lot of words with an ability to use them in a sentence properly.

Agreed. That was always my complaint with Pacman and the way he fell all over himself everytime he interviewed Herbstreit.

I also use tune-in and stream 1320 through my iphone to the radio. I also recommend 680 the fan out of Atlanta, they're pretty good.

I have listen some to 730 out of Charlotte and enjoy Bill Rosinski's show in the afternoon/evenings.

I too think Zarzour is a very good on-air talent - I wish he could do the show alone. I find it hard to listen to the show due to his sidekick (Marc James), who, aside from being a hyperbolic dipshit, seems to confuse knowing a lot of words with an ability to use them in a sentence properly.

You hit the nail on the head.

I also listen to 1230 and 1320 am although the signal is weak.

I also listen to the drive but can't the SEC homering they do sometimes.
Its all I have on the way home at 3:30 though. I like David Glenn.

Btw, sometimes I feel like it pains them to even speak the words Wake Forest.

Last edited:
Bill Kimm used to have a pretty good morning show, sucks that he left.

Thanks for replies. Guess I can't pick up 610 on the north end of Winston. I will try 1230 in the afternoons. I know Packman had alot of haters, but I did like the fact that they covered mostly acc and local colleges.

Thanks for replies. Guess I can't pick up 610 on the north end of Winston. I will try 1230 in the afternoons. I know Packman had alot of haters, but I did like the fact that they covered mostly acc and local colleges.

I liked Pacman for this very reason. I also liked Mondays when they had "call in Carolina" where at least every program in the Carolina's got a little update and some love on Mondays not a constant update of Alabama football.

Its all been downhill since Matt Pincola and Tom Jorgenson show went off the air.

Zarzour used to be on in the Triangle. i enjoyed him. He actually had a conversation with his callers instead of the tired formula of

1) say something outrageous to generate calls
2) shout down those opposing host's outrageous premise
3) ??
4) profit

I'm looking at you, Adam Gold.

Listening to Packman, I can feel myself getting dumber.

Manifest Destiny and myself have talked about trying to open a sports talk station for the Triad. However it just seemed like too much work, not to mention that AM radio is a money hole.

Back