• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The [Redacted] Zone

ChrisL68

Riley Skinner
Reaction score
You've heard of the mendoza line, well our Kenpom is now #204, so we are back in the [Redacted] zone.

cGgZA.jpg

It really is true that pictures say a thousand words. That one image sums up the entire Bz failure more than any number of words ever could.

Anybody have the video of him saying what have I done or something along those lines

Moved up to 202 after today's games!

Before yesterday's game, the lowest we had been was 185, the day after the Arizona St game.

Here's the video of the NC State post-game... Not sure why I subjected myself to this again tonight.

GOD DAMNIT. GOD FUCKING DAMNIT.

Watching that makes me more pissed off than ever. Was Wellman in the room when Buzz sat there like a fucking moron spouting bullshit "I don't know, I don't know, ask them." Where's the accountability? What a load of shit.

Buzz needs to go. If Wellman isn't actively searching for a replacement right now, then he needs to go as well.

You know, twice this past week some new people I met asked me where I went to school and said to me, "oh yea, you guys are really good at basketball."

Yea, we were really good. Not anymore.

What a smug bastard.

I didn't see it as smug. I firmly believe that Coach [Redacted] is a technically smart basketball coach. I don't doubt he can come up with some very creative offensive sets and identify the shortcomings of his team. I have always wondered if he had that good awareness to know who he's coaching and make the system he's trying to coach here work for the kids in front of him. I think the reason "young" keeps coming up in year two when it wasn't supposed to be an excuse in year one is that the message/gameplan is still not getting through. To me, it was suspect if he was a good teacher last year. This year, I have very little doubt that even if he is (i.e. ends up better at the end of the year than now), he must need failure before he addresses the issues with himself and his staff.

Having taught and been in leadership roles off and on since I was a teenager, I know that you can know your stuff but do a great job of confusing the heck out of those in your charge. Especially if you don't hear/see the disconnect between what you are saying/teaching and what your students are doing. It's often easier to take a group that has much more than the fundamentals and "coach" their existing skills up rather than take relatively unmolded students and get them moving in the first place. I know I was aweful at the former for years and still think there is always bound to be someone far better than me at it - I wonder of Coach [Redacted] fits in that same camp.

When I watch that presser and compare it with the game I saw, I cannot help but think there is a big disconnect between where the coach feels he's gotten them trained and where they - in reality - are. It's easy to teach someone to look good shadowboxing, it's far more difficult to give them the tools to win a fight against a competent opponent. I don't think he's teaching them how to think - that's the bottom line for me. And that's a big failing.

You didn't find his sly smiles after answering questions about where we failed as smug?

I do agree with most of the rest of your post, however.

He's in over his head. It would be merciful if he stepped down.

Bz is not the answer at Wake.

You didn't find his sly smiles after answering questions about where we failed as smug?

I do agree with most of the rest of your post, however.

I thought it was that nervous smile/grin thing.

I was thinking though it all that he just didn't really have a handle that regardless of what they learn in practice, if they are overloaded or confused or just not taught how to react/think in real-time, that was on him, not them.

If it is smugness, then he'll never get it and these kids are in trouble and I hate that they are wasting their college eligibility this way.

Back