• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why was Carl Tacy Never ACC COY?

Would have gotten it in 76-77 if Wake hadn't fallen apart down the stretch.

A common thought during the 70's was that if you could combine the game-day coaching skills of Carl Tacy with the recruiting prowess of the Ol' Lefthander from Maryland, you could have a national champion. The scary thought was if it backfired and you ended up with the recruiting of Gentleman Carl and the game-day coaching of Driesell.

A conspiracy orchestrated by Gene Hooks and a young George W. Bush I'm sure.

I would say it was because we never did that much in the regular season under Gentleman Carl. We would win the Big Four which was held usually in December but never much in the entire regular season. We were excellent in the post season of 1977 going to the Final Eight. We were excellent in the Atlantic Coast conference tournament in 1978 getting to the finals against Duke yet our regular season was not that great as we did not get an NCAA invite. In 1984 we had a great run in the NCAA getting to the Great Eight and losing to Houston.

Considering the facilities or lack thereof, Gentleman Carl did great work at Wake Forest but probably not enough to ever get the coach of the year award.

I had no idea if he was still alive so it was nice to see him at the game yesterday. Only good part of the game.

Coach of the year usually goes to someone who excells in the conference series or wins the championship, of which Tacy never did.

^^

Bill Foster was the Clemson coach up to 1984....He wasn't that bad either. Clemson went to the elite 8 around 1980.

I had no idea if he was still alive so it was nice to see him at the game yesterday. Only good part of the game.

Speaking of "parts", how is Coach Tacy's hair these days? That comb-over/part thing he had going back in the 70's was a sight to behold.

Bald on top now....can see him most Sundays @ 1st Baptist in W-S. Still fairly healthy & sharp. Probably early 80s.

I was in my early teens, but it seems like Tacy would chew up Smith's chicken shit four corners with Skip Brown. He went toe to toe with that arrogant Tarhole son of a whore.

Last edited:
The 70s were one hell of a time in Winston-Salem.

The 70's was a helluva time in the ACC. We had Rod, Skip & Shelly, add Frank in 1977 and we make the Elite 8. That year without the magic of AL McGuire we could have won it all. We beat UNC-Ch & UNC-C at least 2 of 3 games.

UNC-C had Cornbread Maxwell & I think Melvin Watkins. We played a helluva game to beat them in regular season. That was a fun season!

The 75-76 team started 11-1 and was ranked as high as top 10 (after beating that top 5 Maryland team in Greensboro) before falling apart and finishing 5-9 in the ACC, so the 76-77 team didn't come out of nowhere.

The 75-76 team started 11-1 and was ranked as high as top 10 (after beating that top 5 Maryland team in Greensboro) before falling apart and finishing 5-9 in the ACC, so the 76-77 team didn't come out of nowhere.

We had a rep for falling apart half way thru the season. I remember reading some columnist writing that we were known for "net-popping guards, centers who disappear when they turn sideways and the great January swoon"

The greatest game and atmosphere I experienced as a student was that UNCC game in G'boro. 4 or 5 starters had 20 pts, 2 or 3 OTs, and a close game we won. Chad Kinch was another great player on that UNCC team.

I was at the Maryland game. I remember Jeff Dobbs stomping on the stuffed turtle at the end of the game.

But that point is that a team that made a similar hot start the year before didn't come out of nowhere when they did it year two. Especially when they had the same team back.

Back