• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State had us totally dissected

ChrisL68

Riley Skinner
Reaction score
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/01/15/1779243/deacons-sink-to-new-low.html

The problem may be more basic than that. Several times, with Wake Forest on offense, N.C. State's assistant coaches leapt from the bench to call out where the ball was going long before it got there.

Then I heard Gottfried's post game comments on News 14 last night.

Paraphrasing: Our assistants usually do a good job scouting the tendencies of our opponents but we really had them pegged.

Better address this Bzzzz. If State can do it, you can be sure that Duke, UNC, Virginia, etc. can do it too.

Last edited:
This article made me firmly BzzOut. Read Travis take accountability and a commitment to improve while Bz says he "didn't know" what happened with the offense and to "ask them (assuming the players)"

This article made me firmly BzzOut. Read Travis take accountability and a commitment to improve while Bz says he "didn't know" what happened with the offense and to "ask them (assuming the players)"

Wrong article. Read the journal article from yesterday.

Right, but Travis' response shows that he is disappointed in himself for doing it. That he needs to be a better leader for his team. He takes ownership.

Buzz's quote projects the exact opposite - I think that is what DeacFreke is getting at.

ETA Travis' quote:

"When people look up to you to lead this team and carry the load of this team, and you don't do it and on top of that you get ejected, it's so sad," McKie said. "So this is probably the worst game of my college career.

"This is a bad loss for us, but I think this is a turning point for me individually. I think I need to do a lot more things off the court and on the court to help myself and my team get better. So I have to change."

Last edited:
Travis had just gotten ejected for a dirty elbow (frustration foul)

And he owned up for it, expressed remorse, accepted accountability, and made a commitment to make some changes.

Bzz said "I don't know...ask [the players]" why our offense was so terrible.

Maybe it's semantics, but when a coach doesn't seem to accept any accountability for a team playing like crap on their home floor against an in-state rival, that's a problem.

I was firmly "Bz-waitandsee" before this game.

Just for clarification, don't we all remember what the State football players were saying after they beat us in 2010, we knew everything they were going to do before the ball was snapped. I would tend to say that this type of slap in the face is a State thing. Secondly, I have heard many pro coaches say that everybody knows the other teams plays because everybody can break down film, it still comes down to executing and playing basketball which we did not do at all Saturday.

And he owned up for it, expressed remorse, accepted accountability, and made a commitment to make some changes.

Bzz said "I don't know...ask [the players]" why our offense was so terrible.

Maybe it's semantics, but when a coach doesn't seem to accept any accountability for a team playing like crap on their home floor against an in-state rival, that's a problem.

I was firmly "Bz-waitandsee" before this game.

But he once had an Air Force team that was almost ranked in the top ten, doesn't that count for something?!

Just for clarification, don't we all remember what the State football players were saying after they beat us in 2010, we knew everything they were going to do before the ball was snapped. I would tend to say that this type of slap in the face is a State thing. Secondly, I have heard many pro coaches say that everybody knows the other teams plays because everybody can break down film, it still comes down to executing and playing basketball which we did not do at all Saturday.

That was the game last year when Grobe basically ran off tackle the entire game. That was already a lost season and I think Grobe was using the 2nd half of that uncompetitive game as a glorified practice.

Last edited:
But he really coached up some average players at Colorado and made one of them into a conference star, even though his teams always stunk. We should just give him time, his track record shows us that he will develop at least one good player and that our team will continue to stink, while Bzzz apparently won't know why and will blame it on the players.

^^This. While kudos go to the NC State Assistants, I am not sure what other options we have at this point. ..

^^This. While kudos go to the NC State Assistants, I am not sure what other options we have at this point. ..

We do not really have a player that can break down a defense off the dribble nor a creator.

State is bigger and far more athletic.

We also have zero post up game so you can cheat on the perimeter.

Let's review athletes we have lost in the last two years:

Tony woods
JTT
Ari Stewart
Melvin Tabb

add Ty as on and off again....

All except maybe Tabb and Ty are ACC upper tier athletes with size.

Let's review problems:

Rape case from NCAA tourney.
Tony assault
JTT alcohol
Tabb stealing

Non of this is Bz fault and it was giving Wake a bad name.

The program needed cleansed.

Although I am down about our program (though VaTech and MD games were very positive), I'm realistic about the fact that we needed time to start afresh. Some games we will face bad match ups.

Take Crean at IU, same position as here.....

This is going to sound really strange, but...

When we started getting the ball to Ty Walker in the second against Maryland the tide started to turn. That needs to become a fixture of our offense.

Every team knows every other team's plays. Watch our assistants.. They call out plays too.

It all comes down to execution.

Saturday was just a pathetic display all the way around. The coaches, the players, pretty much everybody involved with our basketball team shares the blame for that. For me, the team had instilled some semblence of hope with their performance against Va. Tech and even the effort against Maryland, but that semblence of hope was smashed Saturday. It's a dead horse, but getting rid of Dino to hire [Redacted] is still unexplainable. Dino needed to go, but only if we could get a real upgrade and we didn't with [Redacted]. People might try to argue that, but with his pre-Wake record and his record at Wake so far, their is little to support it. When your carpet gets worn out and spotted and needs replacing, you don't go down to the carpet store and buy used worn out and spotted carpet to replace, but I'm afraid that's exactly what we did by replacing Dino with [Redacted]. If UNC or Duke had done that to us, it would be one thing, but it was State. I do think State has a pretty good team this year, but not good enough that they should've embarrassed us like they did. You see what should be bottom tier ACC teams like Ga. Tech go to Raleigh and beat State and BC, who so many thought would be even worse than we were last year, win 2 straight league games and it just shows how pathetic our whole men's basketball program is right now. [Redacted] will be here next year, but if Saturday's effort becomes a trend this season he shouldn't be.

Back