• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do negative fans hurt the basketball program?

blackgold

Reaction score
I'm wondering if our fans' sustained efforts to destroy Coach [Redacted] will take a long term toll on our basketball program.

We all see what happened when the lunatics at NC State ran off a fine coach in Herb Sendek. Major names in the coaching fraternity responded by denying their best offers, time and time again.

Now, their program has been in the desert for 5 years, and I doubt that their mediocre retread, Mark Gottfried, will turn their program around, no matter how many top recruits he gets.

If we continue to abuse our coaches in public forums, I think we might face the same fate. Neither coaches nor recruits want to face the kind of abuse our "fans" are creating.

I'm wondering if our fans' sustained efforts to destroy Coach [Redacted] will take a long term toll on our basketball program.

We all see what happened when the lunatics at NC State ran off a fine coach in Herb Sendek. Major names in the coaching fraternity responded by denying their best offers, time and time again.

Now, their program has been in the desert for 5 years, and I doubt that their mediocre retread, Mark Gottfried, will turn their program around, no matter how many top recruits he gets.

If we continue to abuse our coaches in public forums, I think we might face the same fate. Neither coaches nor recruits want to face the kind of abuse our "fans" are creating.

This thread is going to be interesting. :tard: What is your job title under Wellman?

Not as much damage as the Buzz hire will do.

If Gottfried is a mediocre retread, what is Buzz?

One could also ask "Do pollyanna fans with no standards hurt our programs?"

Jeff [Redacted]'s conference road game record since his first year at Air Force in the 2005/06 season (entering the 7th season now):

8-45. 8 wins, 45 losses. 26 of these losses have been by double digit amounts.

Is that attacking him or just pointing out his awful record? Or both?

Most college basketball commentators wonder why in the hell we fired a coach who averaged 20 wins a year and hired some no name who has had very little success at the college level and has, to this point, been an absolute disaster here.

Awesome, another argument about how important the internets are. I'll give you the short version. Does it hurt? Maybe. But it is only about 1% as harmful as poor play, poor coaching, poor attendance and no confidence in the program. Funny thing is that if you fix the other things, you never have to worry about lots of people saying nasty things on the internet.

This is a reasonable criticism. So much around here does not live up to a reasonable standard, however.

The poorest example, in many cases, is set by (some) MODERATORS, the gatekeepers of decency for this community. These men should be replaced immediately with members of the community who care to protect the image of Wake Forest sports.

I will not sit idly by while you people destroy our basketball program.

Jeff [Redacted]'s conference road game record since his first year at Air Force in the 2005/06 season (entering the 7th season now):

8-45. 8 wins, 45 losses. 26 of these losses have been by double digit amounts.

Is that attacking him or just pointing out his awful record? Or both?

Not as much as 36 point home losses to programs in the desert

This is a reasonable criticism. So much around here does not live up to a reasonable standard, however.

The poorest example, in many cases, is set by (some) MODERATORS, the gatekeepers of decency for this community. These men should be replaced immediately with members of the community who care to protect the image of Wake Forest sports.

It's 81Deac. I'm convinced.

I believe that your boyfriend Wellman has destroyed our program.

No.

The misguided loyalty that allows a journeyman coach no one ever heard of before he was hired to become the proxy for the basketball program does.

As does apathy.

Without getting into Buzz's merits....

I am intrigued by the amount of effort some devote to defending him. His defense has become, intentionally or not, more of a focus than the state of the program as a whole. That is very odd, and I wish I knew more about the social and affinity dynamics behind this. I suspect they are not limited to this example.

Imagine for a moment that we had hired the hottest coach in the world. Coach Awesome. I would have been really happy about that. Imagine that coach Awesome then had a horrible record and came across as overwhelmed and prickly. I don't think I'd spend one minute defending the guy. I think I'd be unhappy that we were losing to Southern Conference teams. I want WFU to win. I don't care about the coach. He is just a steward for the thing I (historically) care about.

Regardless of who coaches WFU basketball and regardless of who is on the roster, the current situation, overall and game to game, is absurd and should make anyone angry.

When you feel anger is pointless, you become apathetic.

That's why I don't care all that much about WFU basketball at the moment.

Last edited:

36 point losses to in-state rivals on your home court will do more to destroy a basketball program than 1 million negative posts on a message board.

I will not sit idly by while you people destroy our basketball program

Great job with the parody, but you blew it with this post. No one says that last line in a serious manner.

Back