• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Michigan - Michigan state backcourt call

Turfg

Reaction score
Anyone have a video of the play yet? Trying to see a replay to see if that was a proper call...

Anyone have a video of the play yet? Trying to see a replay to see if that was a proper call...

Don't be fooled by Izzo. Definitely the right call, wasn't even close.

He did not dribble it off his foot. He bounced it off his foot. That is what is called an "interrupted dribble" because the dribble was not completed. A dribble is complete when it returns to the players hand. It never did that.

We need to see prior to that if he had control of the ball in another form.

He did not dribble it off his foot. He bounced it off his foot. That is what is called an "interrupted dribble" because the dribble was not completed. A dribble is complete when it returns to the players hand. It never did that.

We need to see prior to that if he had control of the ball in another form.

Possibly. but did he have control of the ball in the front court when he did dribble off his foot? Was it on a throw in and he was trying to catch it-control it by dribbling direct from the pass? And it bounced off his foot into the back court?

Didn't see it. but have rules type question for you Turf.

Let's say A1 is dribbling in the front court. Defender comes up and swipes at the ball and knocks it off A1's knee and the ball goes into the back court?

Let's say A1 is dribbling and defender comes up and swipes at the ball knocking it directly into the back court?

Let's say there is an inbounds pass from under A1's basket and the ball comes out to the top of the key in the air where A1 tries to catch it but it bounces off his hand and goes into the backcourt?

Whatcha got?

It was definitely the right call. Ball was inbounded to the State player. He caught it and then went to dribble it. It hit his foot and went into the backcourt.

A1 is dribbling in the front court.

Next question?

It was definitely the right call. Ball was inbounded to the State player. He caught it and then went to dribble it. It hit his foot and went into the backcourt.

With that scenario, it is a back court violation. Catching the ball on the inbounds means team possession. Dribble off your own foot into the back court is the same as passing it into the backcourt.

Just watched the ESPN highlights...saw a bunch of nice looking but pale Michigan cheerleaders. Saw Mich St have a chance at the buzzer but not run the offensive play very well.

Just saw the replay. Definite backcourt call. He caught it, fumbled it, dribbled it once and then dribbled it off his foot. Violation

A1 is dribbling in the front court.

Next question?

Your answer?

A1 is dribbling in the front court, ball is swiped at by the defense, knocking it off A1's knee into the back court?

He never caught the ball. Not sure what replay you're watching.

He never caught the ball. Not sure what replay you're watching.

You sir, are incorrect. He swiped at the pass, brought the ball toward himself and then dribbled it off his foot into the backcourt.

Clearly a backcourt violation.

Call was correct.

He did not dribble the ball off his foot... He bounced it off his foot thus did not complete a dribble, which is required in order for them to rule he had control. He basically juggled the ball 3 times (there was no catch at any point), ball hit his foot, and then entered the backcourt. That is not backcourt because he never had possession, just like if you tip the ball 3 or 4 times without the ball hitting the court it isn't ruled traveling.

This same play happened twice earlier in the season in 2 Big Ten games and was ruled 2 different ways, FYI.

He did not dribble the ball off his foot... He bounced it off his foot thus did not complete a dribble, which is required in order for them to rule he had control. He basically juggled the ball 3 times (there was no catch at any point), ball hit his foot, and then entered the backcourt. That is not backcourt because he never had possession, just like if you tip the ball 3 or 4 times without the ball hitting the court it isn't ruled traveling.

I watched it several times and thought he clearly had possession and that it was clearly the correct call. I saw no controversy at all. It seems to me that if you have enough control of the ball to initiate a dribble, you have possession...

Starts at the 1 minute mark.

Pretty close call. He certainly doesn't catch the pass cleanly. Certainly doesn't get a clean dribble off.

Guess you could say he had possession when he attempted the first dribble? Can you have possession with just one hand? He certainly has control of the ball at the top of that dribble and then hits his foot.

I'd say backcourt violation because he looked like he had control and then lost control when it hit his foot, but that might be technically wrong.

This same play happened twice earlier in the season in 2 Big Ten games and was ruled 2 different ways, FYI.

I dare say it was "exactly" the same play. You may never see one like the Mich State play again. But he did apperar to catch it, dribbled it once then bounced it off his foot. I would say that would be called a back court violation 99 times out of 100. Izzo can scream till the cows come home and that is going to be called that way.

I ran the replay back about 3 times when I saw it last night and every time it was a possession, thus backcourt. Completing the first dribble makes it a team possession, whether you think he caught the pass or not. It still looks like he caught the initial pass and then dribbled purposely.

He appeared to have relatively solid control of the ball as he attempted the second dribble back towards his body when the ball bounced off his leg. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with TheReff, that was a relatively clear backcourt violation IMO.

I think this is one of those judgment calls that could go either way. To me, in real time, it looked like a fumbled catch which he then attempts to control by dribbling. I suppose he may have showed a bit of control before what people are calling the "second dribble." In the eyes of the official it was clearly enough. I could also see an official saying that he didn't see clear control. I don't know of a rule that says you have to complete a full dribble to constitute control, but I don't claim to be an expert. Honestly, I would have let him go get it with no violation, but I think this is a judgment call.

He appeared to have relatively solid control of the ball as he attempted the second dribble back towards his body when the ball bounced off his leg. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with TheReff, that was a relatively clear backcourt violation IMO.

We consider a person who is dribbling the ball or starting a dribble to have possession. A lot of times a player will semi-catch a pass with one hand as he starts his dribble and continues on. Fumbles are an entirely different matter.

That said, if an inbound pass, say from under their own basket, glanced off the players hand as he was trying to catch it, and bounced into the back court, there is no violation. Even though it last went off him, it was not last possessed by offense, therefore no violation.

But if a dribbler or ball handler happens to have the defender knock the ball out of his hands, off his knee or other body part, and it goes into the back court, that is a violation. Offense was last to have possession so they are deemed to have put the ball in the back court. May not seem exactly fair, but that is the rule.

Back