• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Could Childress be HC someday?

inspectah

Reaction score
I know this gets talked to death, and I myself have been skeptical about this proposition for years, but the more I see/hear Chill (and the more I hear him say "we" when referring to the Deacs), the more I like the idea of him being HC one day.

Obviously it will not happen under Wellman's watch as RW would not hire a HC without prior experience.

Not proposing here that Bz get canned, just speculating as to what would realistically have to happen for Chill to get the reins? Could he get an asst's job if someone leaves, and get the job from there? Or would he have to leave WF first, then return with some experience?

Last edited:
You are going to get a slew of replies explaining that Chill has to go through the proper channels and start as an assistant someplace. Then you'll hear how it would be unfair to Chill to put him in a position to fail. Then you'll hear about Sydney Lowe.

Frankly, there was never anything conventional about Randolph Childress, so I'd ignore all that crap. I think he'll be successful at whatever he chooses to do including leading a team as head coach. He can start tomorrow as far as I'm concerned.

Does anyone even know if he wants a job that keeps him on the road and away from his family after living a similar life in Europe for many years already?

I really have no idea. We all know he was a great player for Wake but would that translate into a good coach? There's so much that goes into coaching and the ability to teach and motivate. At the college level, you have to be able to recruit and sell yourself and the school.

If he wants to be a coach, I think he'll end up being an asst. coach somewhere and hopefully eventually become a head coach.

You are going to get a slew of replies explaining that Chill has to go through the proper channels and start as an assistant someplace. Then you'll hear how it would be unfair to Chill to put him in a position to fail. Then you'll hear about Sydney Lowe.

Frankly, there was never anything conventional about Randolph Childress, so I'd ignore all that crap. I think he'll be successful at whatever he chooses to do including leading a team as head coach. He can start tomorrow as far as I'm concerned.

Completely agree. Childress is unbelievably competitive and a winner- I think it's likely he would get the most out of our guys. I don't want to see Bz fired- but if Chill was named head coach after the State game I wouldn't have shed any tears. I would've been thrilled. I'd like to see Wake give him the chance. If Bz is fired at the end of the year or next year it's not like we'll be able to afford a big name coach anyway. I doubt it will happen though. :( Maybe Bz will get things turned around- wins will start generating some enthusiasm. Basketball, the proverbial crown jewel of Wake athletics, is really at a low point. Hard to imagine it getting much lower.

I really have no idea. We all know he was a great player for Wake but would that translate into a good coach? There's so much that goes into coaching and the ability to teach and motivate. At the college level, you have to be able to recruit and sell yourself and the school.

Being a great player has almost nothing to do with being a great coach IMO.

Bzz will be here a minimum of two more years. Looking into the crystal ball this is what I see. The incoming class has an immediate impact that puts us in the middle of the pack next year and some of the heat slips off Bzz. We'll hear a lot about how young and talented we are next year. The following year we are stronger, quicker, more experienced and we win 27 games (you know, like Dino did with his NBA players). We go to the NCAA with high hopes and we bow out in the second round. Two of the super six call it a day and go pro. Then Wellman has to find another friend who is down on his luck.

I was only addressing whether Chill "could" be a head coach someday. I think the answer is "obviously."

Being a great player has almost nothing to do with being a great coach IMO.

True. But I'd still like to see him maybe given an assistant coaching position and perhaps the head coaching job when Bz leaves (and I hope when Bz decides to leave it's by his own choosing- I do not want to see him fired). I know it often doesn't work out when great players are given coaching jobs but I think it might with Chill. But who knows. I know this board skews towards a younger demographic- I'd imagine younger Wake fans are not the Childress homers that a lot of the older fans are. Kind of like when I hear guys talk about Deacs before my time- if you didn't grow up watching them they're usually not as big a deal.

Hope not. I don't really want to view him any other way.

This is a good point. I wonder if Lowe's legacy was diminished in the eyes of State fans? I guess it must have been for a lot of them. But what if it works! Who are the great coaches that were once great players? I know there has to be some.

DCDeac and I talked about this last night - it was strangely encouraging to see how pissed off Chill was last night. A few of the times they showed him during the broadcast, he was visibly disturbed by our on-court performance. Its nice to see that he still cares deeply about the program and its direction.

I think the most realistic way for Childress to become head coach would go like this.

1. Jeff Battle takes another job somewhere this offseason. Hopefully, a head coaching job since he deserves a shot at one.
2. Battle takes Corbean with him as an assistant.
3. Childress and Nix are hired as the new assistants. Nix is Bz's guy. But Childress on the staff helps Bz gain support with the fanbase.
4. Next year's recruiting class is as good or better than advertized allowing [Redacted] to stabilize the program.
5. We make the NIT next year and the NCAA's every year for the next three or four years after that.
6. Bz decides to retire.
7. Childress is promoted to head coach in order maintain stability in the program.

I think the most realistic way for Childress to become head coach would go like this.

1. Jeff Battle takes another job somewhere this offseason. Hopefully, a head coaching job since he deserves a shot at one.
3. Childress and Nix are hired as the new assistants. Nix is Bz's guy. But Childress on the staff helps Bz gain support with the fanbase.
4. Next year's recruiting class is as good or better than advertized allowing [Redacted] to stabilize the program.
5. We make the NIT next year and the NCAA's every year for the next three or four years after that.
6. Bz decides to retire.
7. Childress is promoted to head coach in order maintain stability in the program.

This seems plausible.

6. Bz decides to retire.

I like this. Plus he would be instrumental in bringing back former Deacs to support the program, kind of like the alumni game this year. I think that's all we're living on now anyway, our reputation of being Duncan and Paul's alma mater.

The member of our staff that will make the best head coach is Walt Corbean. Know it probably won't happen here, which is too bad, but he will be one to watch in years to come.

Back