• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Best Player in the NBA???

RicoSuave

Reaction score
I'm not necessarily a LeBron fan, but for the past week ESPN has been excitedly pimping the Heat-Lakers game with the headine "Kobe v. LeBron: Whos the Best Player in the NBA?". LeBron had the flu last night but still decided to play against the Lakers. And he still ended up with more points, assists, rebounds, steals, and blocks than Kobe. Thats right, a Forward ended up with more assists and steals than ESPN's favorite Guard. And Kobe wasn't even the Lakers' leading scorer, because Pau had the enviable job of rebounding and putting back all the clunkers that Kobe shot last night.

When will ESPN finally drop the Kobe Bryant love-fest?

LeBron is having a great year, shooting nearly 60% from the field among other things. It's different though. Kobe is past his prime and in his mid 30s while LeBron is entering his prime. I don't think its fair to compare them now. I still won't say LeBron is an all time great until he shows he can win a title, but for now, I would say he's the best player in the NBA overall. I would still rather have Kobe on my team though.

I'm not necessarily a LeBron fan, but for the past week ESPN has been excitedly pimping the Heat-Lakers game with the headine "Kobe v. LeBron: Whos the Best Player in the NBA?". LeBron had the flu last night but still decided to play against the Lakers. And he still ended up with more points, assists, rebounds, steals, and blocks than Kobe. Thats right, a Forward ended up with more assists and steals than ESPN's favorite Guard. And Kobe wasn't even the Lakers' leading scorer, because Pau had the enviable job of rebounding and putting back all the clunkers that Kobe shot last night.

When will ESPN finally drop the Kobe Bryant love-fest?

Kobe's one of the best of all time, so the love will probably never stop, even after he retires. ESPN orgasmed everytime Wizards era MJ matched up with another great player, even though he was clearly past his prime. Same deal here. Kobe's still a beast, even though I don't like him.

Its January. And due to the shortened season, this January is more akin to November. Kobe makes big shots when it counts. LeBron has not so far.

Until Lebron proves otherwise, I'm going with the guy with 5 rings.

I just like how Kobe decided to go off in terms of point scoring (4 straight 40 point games) the week before his new Kobe System ad campaign started. Coincidence? Doubtful.

Durant is better than Kobe at this point. Would much prefer to have him on my team.

Who wouldn't? Kobes avg over 30 ppg , 5 assists, and 5 boards despite playing with a mangled wrist and playing in his 16th season. He is past his prime but is still a top 10 player in the league. Hard to hate on Kobe.

I just like how Kobe decided to go off in terms of point scoring (4 straight 40 point games) the week before his new Kobe System ad campaign started. Coincidence? Doubtful.

Wow - really good catch, I never picked up on that. I do believe at this point that Kobe is just playing for Kobe at this point. I don't think he really cares about winning as much as just taking his last second shots because he knows he only has a short window left of competitive moments left, and wants to take advantage of them all.

If I played pickup right now, I wouldn't care about winning or losing, I'd just want to shoot it, and especially get the game winner.

When you buy basketball shoes like that are you essentially buying a bullet to the head or a stab to the back?

1a. Lebron
1b. Howard
2. CP3
3. Durant

FYP. Lebron and Durant play the same position, and Lebron can cover Durant but the reverse isn't true. Strictly offensively Durant is the best in the game, but I can't put him much higher than #4 counting both sides of the ball. He's the only top 5 player who can be successfully denied the ball and taken out of his offense.

When you buy basketball shoes like that are you essentially buying a bullet to the head or a stab to the back?

Nobody is getting stabbed over Kobe's. Kobe might be an Illuminati, though:

http://vigilantcitizen.com/latestnews/nikes-kobe-system-advertisement-with-an-illuminati-message/

"Success" is represented by the apex of a pyramid - the same apex that has the Illuminati's all-seeing eye on the Great Seal of the United States. On each side we see a phallic symbol pointing downwards a "womb" represented by the "V" shape above the triangle, which represents the all-important concept of union of opposites in Illuminati symbolism."

FYP. Lebron and Durant play the same position, and Lebron can cover Durant but the reverse isn't true. Strictly offensively Durant is the best in the game, but I can't put him much higher than #4 counting both sides of the ball. He's the only top 5 player who can be successfully denied the ball and taken out of his offense.

agree with this. i get why people love kd and don't like lebron, as i am firmly in this camp. however, lebron is >>>> durant.

Lebron is 1. No a/b crap. Rose deserves to be in the discussion if you're going to start listing it out to top 5.

The reason I have CP3 over rose is this: Chris Paul averages 2.2 Turnovers per game and averages 2.8 steals per game. Rose averages .9 Steals per game and 3.2 turnovers per game.

So Chris right there gets you 3 more possessions per game than Rose. Not everyone focuses on this but this is absolutely absurd, and something CP3 has had over every other PG in the league in such an absurd fashion for about 5-6 years now.

Each possession is worth about an extra point in a basketball game, and only 2 teams in the West (OKC and Denver) outscore their opponents by more than 3 PPG.

Or put in another way, his 3 possessions per game is equal to the difference of a guy who shoots 15 shots per game making 50% of his shots vs 40% of his shots.

That's why Chris is in a league of his own and why I put him ahead of Durant and Rose, etc.

Back