• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Observations from the Dook game

KVegasDeac

Reaction score
What I saw, both good and bad:

The kids played hard and were intense. Only TC seemed to be shell shocked by playing at dook. Keep in mind, the only current player to have ever played a game in Cameron was CJ (Ty was there but DNP). TC played okay, but there were several occasions where you could tell by his facial expressions when he was looking over at the bench (while bringing the ball up the court) that he was overwhelmed by playing at dook. He eventually settled down.

Travis & CJ are leaders. Whether they are having a good game or a bad game, they are true court leaders. They hadn't shown it as much pre-NCSU game, but last night they both really took charge on the court. McKie is a good, good person and player. I am proud he wears black & gold.

TC needs to spend the summer in the gym shooting. He's a fierce competitor and I think he has potential, but he needs work, especially with is decision making.

Nikita played BIG. He is constantly mismatched. Last night he had to guard a plumlee sister. Huge mismatch, but the guy played like he was 7 feet tall. Never backed down. If there was a way to instill a little of Nikita's bawse into Carson, Carson would be a monster.

Nikita needs to learn when to not pick up his dribble and when not to shoot. A lot of times, he decides to go one-on-one in traffic and completely disrupts the flow of the offense. The coaches, Travis & CJ got all over him for it all night, took him out of the game, but he keeps doing it. The problem is, we are so limited depth-wise that he can't sit for long periods AND he is a decent defender. So what do you do?

Ty. We need him. He's capable. He needs to keep his head out of his ass and he'll be fine. At the very least, he is such a good shot blocker that he alters how teams play us in the middle. We need him to play like a man vs. BC.

Chase will be good, he's rushing his shot and if you watch, his elbow is funny (cocked out) when he shoots. Just needs to get that corrected. He needs work on defense. He lost his man several times.

We need CJ on the court all the time.

Dawkins was open on 3 occasions because 1) Plumlee (I think) set a moving screen (I know, hard to believe) and TC got caught which freed up Dawkins. 2) on 2 other occasions, TC was held by the jersey after he worked through a screen. TC and the coaches complained all night to the refs but Jamie Lucky just shrugged his shoulders. They were very obvious holds. Of course, dook does this (moving screens and holding) all the time. The irony is Nikita is the one who was called for a moving screen in the 2nd half.

Our coaches do get all over the players, especially in TO huddles. They make adjustments. They coach. I thought Bz was going to have a stroke screaming at Nikita.

Carson. I can't figure him out. Sometimes he plays well, and sometimes he looked like the laziest guy on the court. He gives up a lot.

We missed 11 free throws but (and I didn't look at the stats) we appeared to rebound better. They crashed the boards but we are just so undersized.

Even after Wofford and NCSU games, I like this team and where it's headed. Chemistry is better. I thought the coaching staff did a good job. dook is just better and they are physical (and they foul ALL THE FREAKIN TIME) and the game was at dook.

CJ and Travis both told the team "This team is beatable! Stick to the offense!" several times.

After the game, I know the team got on a plane to Boston. They were gassed, so I hope they get plenty of rest today, get their legs back and beat BC. Ty will be key tomorrow. I hope he goes off and scores 20.

When was his head up his ass in the past four-five games this year?

When Ty misses a shot or lets his man score on D (or makes any mistake) he yells, claps, zones out, gets down, fouls- whatever. This happens during every game. He has calmed down a lot this season, but he still does it.

Bz and staff have done a good job of recognizing a potential meltdown and subbing him out before the situation snowballs.

Watch the sub pattern tomorrow and see if it happens.

What I saw, both good and bad:

The kids played hard and were intense. Only TC seemed to be shell shocked by playing at dook. Keep in mind, the only current player to have ever played a game in Cameron was CJ (Ty was there but DNP). TC played okay, but there were several occasions where you could tell by his facial expressions when he was looking over at the bench (while bringing the ball up the court) that he was overwhelmed by playing at dook. He eventually settled down.

Travis & CJ are leaders. Whether they are having a good game or a bad game, they are true court leaders. They hadn't shown it as much pre-NCSU game, but last night they both really took charge on the court. McKie is a good, good person and player. I am proud he wears black & gold.

TC needs to spend the summer in the gym shooting. He's a fierce competitor and I think he has potential, but he needs work, especially with is decision making.

Nikita played BIG. He is constantly mismatched. Last night he had to guard a plumlee sister. Huge mismatch, but the guy played like he was 7 feet tall. Never backed down. If there was a way to instill a little of Nikita's bawse into Carson, Carson would be a monster.

Nikita needs to learn when to not pick up his dribble and when not to shoot. A lot of times, he decides to go one-on-one in traffic and completely disrupts the flow of the offense. The coaches, Travis & CJ got all over him for it all night, took him out of the game, but he keeps doing it. The problem is, we are so limited depth-wise that he can't sit for long periods AND he is a decent defender. So what do you do?

Ty. We need him. He's capable. He needs to keep his head out of his ass and he'll be fine. At the very least, he is such a good shot blocker that he alters how teams play us in the middle. We need him to play like a man vs. BC.

Chase will be good, he's rushing his shot and if you watch, his elbow is funny (cocked out) when he shoots. Just needs to get that corrected. He needs work on defense. He lost his man several times.

We need CJ on the court all the time.

Dawkins was open on 3 occasions because 1) Plumlee (I think) set a moving screen (I know, hard to believe) and TC got caught which freed up Dawkins. 2) on 2 other occasions, TC was held by the jersey after he worked through a screen. TC and the coaches complained all night to the refs but Jamie Lucky just shrugged his shoulders. They were very obvious holds. Of course, dook does this (moving screens and holding) all the time. The irony is Nikita is the one who was called for a moving screen in the 2nd half.Our coaches do get all over the players, especially in TO huddles. They make adjustments. They coach. I thought Bz was going to have a stroke screaming at Nikita.

Carson. I can't figure him out. Sometimes he plays well, and sometimes he looked like the laziest guy on the court. He gives up a lot.

We missed 11 free throws but (and I didn't look at the stats) we appeared to rebound better. They crashed the boards but we are just so undersized.

Even after Wofford and NCSU games, I like this team and where it's headed. Chemistry is better. I thought the coaching staff did a good job. dook is just better and they are physical (and they foul ALL THE FREAKIN TIME) and the game was at dook.

CJ and Travis both told the team "This team is beatable! Stick to the offense!" several times.

After the game, I know the team got on a plane to Boston. They were gassed, so I hope they get plenty of rest today, get their legs back and beat BC. Ty will be key tomorrow. I hope he goes off and scores 20.

Just for education purposes, there is nothing wrong with a moving screen. John Stockton and Karl malone mad the HOF doing pick & rolls.

What is a foul is an illegal screen which involves illegal contact.

Kind of like screaming for "over the back". Nothing wrong with that either as long as it does not involve illegal contact. Ty Walker going for a rebound over Sammy Zeglinski would be "over his back" by about 2 feet.

That said, there are a ton of missed illegal screens in college basketball. In fact there is far too much contact in the college game in general. The NBA is not as physical now as college is. Watch how many guys are bumped off their path, whether on offense or defense. Sticking out an elbow or knee on a cutter should be a foul every time if there is contact. The same for a guy setting a pick..he is supposed to be stationary.

Our D sucked. Ty was pulled from the game for mental lapses. The lob over Nikita to a posting Plumlee was the most obvious one. I think our D sucked because our help sucked, but our D sucked so badly it is difficult to pin it solely on help.

Our D, in general, was a real head scratcher to me. Do we not have the personnel to switch? I hoping that with our length on the wings coming in next year, that our help D will be dynamic because a Roundtree can come in and guard a hot 3-point shooter like Dawkins but then switch on the D and be able to guard the post (Kelly, Plumlee) as well.

Regardless, not very happy about defensive preparation for Duke. Going zone was idiotic and we stayed in it like 3 possessions too long.

Getting beat up inside by Kelly was difficult to swallow. It means everyone save Nikita is too soft

The worst thing about the NC State game was how many times we got down to 8 seconds on the shot clock and had to give it to Tony to make something happen.

Duke's a better defensive team, and we did a much better job running the offense. We got open looks, moved the ball well, and got put in the force-a-shot position far less often. Duke banking in 3 of their 3 pointers off what has to be the loosest rims of any ACC school really killed us as we went 0 for our first 7 3's. Those two things happen and it's hard to hang with any team, much less Duke.

Miles, Mason, and Hairston played 56 minutes combined and managed 2 field goals. Really good work by Ty and Nikita there on defense, shockingly enough.

The ugly? Travis, I love you, but you got absolutely torched by Ryan freaking Kelly. 20 points, 10 boards, 6 offensive. I hope you watch that tape, it pisses you off, and you crush your next matchup. In reality you gave up his season high, since his 21 points at Tech came from free throws during the last 30 second foul-o-rama. Against good teams you have to box out, find your man, work to prevent him from getting the ball in good position.

Carson? Yet another 24 minutes without a field goal, with only 2 boards, and one nice assist. Regressing. It's hard to watch. Put the guy on P90X or something.

Tony Chennault... Well it was better than NC State... I guess. Seriously though, never take another 3, drive only when your team can support you, and just keep trying to focus and make good decisions. And yeah, we all noticed that when you were on Austin Rivers he didn't do much, then we switched you to Dawkins and after a couple bullshit picks you quieted him down as well and then Austin went off. Keep playing good pressure defense.

CJ - still don't think you're 100% so you get a pass for that defensive effort. That spin move through the lane late was amazing. Don't wait till we're down 15 to go into attack mode offensively.

We play poor defensive basketball. Awful on help, no communication, get caught watching the ball and losing our man and then no wonder we get screened. Bad hedges last night as well. Combination of personnel, coaching, etc.

I like our progress on O but our Defense suffers mightily.

Just for education purposes, there is nothing wrong with a moving screen. John Stockton and Karl malone mad the HOF doing pick & rolls.

Kind of like screaming for "over the back". Nothing wrong with that either as long as it does not involve illegal contact. Ty Walker going for a rebound over Sammy Zeglinski would be "over his back" by about 2 feet.

That said, there are a ton of missed illegal screens in college basketball. In fact there is far too much contact in the college game in general. The NBA is not as physical now as college is. Watch how many guys are bumped off their path, whether on offense or defense. Sticking out an elbow or knee on a cutter should be a foul every time if there is contact. The same for a guy setting a pick..he is supposed to be stationary.

Epic

Now we know why the Reff has to stick to middle school girls games

Reff, is it okay to grab an opponent's jersey to keep him from catching up to the shooter? What if you are stationary while you grab his jersey? Can you also grab his jersey while you are moving?

the Reff\ There's nothing wrong with a stationary player grabbing a moving player's jersey, so long as the stationary player is, in fact, moving. /the Reff

And that would be an illegal screen when there is contact [as it is EVERY TIME when you play Dook.]

TheReff is right about one thing. The college game has gotten way too physical. As Len Elmore [?] said last night, it used to be a game of quickness and grace. Now, it's often like pro wrestling. I think, all this excessive contact is ruining the game. The Duke big men just set up and start backing in, all night long. Nobody calls anything, especially when they don't have the ball. I don't know anywhere in the rules where it says that you can just shove somebody out of the way without being charged a foul. That's not basketball, it's just a shoving match. The refs should be instructed to start calling that stuff and the players will adjust. Why don't the refs just enforce the rules? We are getting an inferior product, a shoving match instead of basketball. Things have gotten way out of hand.

TC practicing shooting all summer isn't going to make much of a difference. His mechanics stink. I am sure he has practiced shooting all of his life. Unfortunately he is just repeating a bad stroke. As Ben Hogan said, practicing and practicing a bad golf swing is not going to help.

The dook bigs- especially the Lurch plumlee sister- shoved under the basket all night to move Ty out of the way. Big shove, get free, shoot the open jumper. No call. A little push is normal and expected, but these were big.

That being said, most teams do it ( dook is the worst) so our bigs need to be stronger and not fall out of the lane when it happens. I think Bz said we need to be stronger and not get pushed off of cuts.

Back