• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke selling student tickets because of low attendance

When the Blue Devils played Wake Forest last week, 400 tickets were made available to Iron Dukes because of concerns over the game’s competition with fraternity and sorority rush, along with the Demon Deacons’ struggles. Still, Section 17 was still under capacity at tip-off, leading head coach Mike Krzyzewski to gesticulate across the court during play, encouraging the fans to get louder

Ouch. That's going to leave a mark.

The co-head line monitor says
“It does take a lot to go to K-Ville and wait outside, sometimes in the cold and in the rain, and then go into Cameron where you have to stand and jump up and down,” co-head line monitor Ellie Garrett said. “Students need to realize that going to Cameron is... an awesome experience.”
but then says
“The rumor we’ve had to deal with over the past couple years is that it’s hard to get into games, and if you show up half an hour before tipoff you won’t get in,” Garrett said. “We’ve been trying really hard... to really debunk those rumors because they’re simply not true.”

So how hard is it for students to get tickets? Can they just walk up and get in.

Maybe the rat needs to make Ryan Kelly wear a mask. He's probably scaring all of the fans away.

Basically, there is no need for all the K-ville BS. If they are selling Student Tickets, that means there are plenty of tickets for any student who wants to go. Whether the live in a tent for the winter or not. The whole idea of K-ville is moronic. Co-Head Line Monitor is about as important as Grade School Safety Patrol.

Fuck their entitled asses. What I wouldn't give to have a team half as good as theirs.

Basically, there is no need for all the K-ville BS. If they are selling Student Tickets, that means there are plenty of tickets for any student who wants to go. Whether the live in a tent for the winter or not. The whole idea of K-ville is moronic. Co-Head Line Monitor is about as important as Grade School Safety Patrol.

There was a time around 79-80 when we didn't exactly camp out but we were in the indoor tennis courts waiting on tickets for Carolina... that is my recollection. But the AD sorted that crap out in short order. This K-ville stuff is just stupid.

This is impossible. Duke students are the best fans the earth has ever seen. ESPN told me so.

The co-head line monitor says

but then says

So how hard is it for students to get tickets? Can they just walk up and get in.

There are maybe 2-3 games a year where it's tough to get into Cameron as a student. UNC, obviously. Maybe 1 or 2 more.

Otherwise, you can pretty much show up a little before game time and get in.

There are maybe 2-3 games a year where it's tough to get into Cameron as a student. UNC, obviously. Maybe 1 or 2 more.

This. People wait in K-ville so they can get the best seats, not to get into the games.

Wow. Really hard to believe.

Only because of the ESPN propaganda machine and the bleacher seating set up that hides empty seats. Duke's a small school. When I was there, there were about 1500 seats for 6000 undergrads and 750 for 4000 grad students.

College basketball is a sport that continues to decline in popularity. Young people aren't going to go crazy about a sport not in the mind of the general public.

Agreed. I doubt many students come into college as hyped about college hoops as I did in the mid-90s. There's so much more to do than go to basketball games nowadays.

Agreed. I doubt many students come into college as hyped about college hoops as I did in the mid-90s. There's so much more to do than go to basketball games nowadays.

I think it's less this and more the continual drain of talent to the NBA. And as far as Duke goes, the ACC's decline and the leveling of the playing field across conferences certainly makes major-conference regular-season play less interesting

I thought the whole point of camping out was to get tickets to the UNC game not just to camp out.

I thought this couldn't happen if you have a small on campus arena.

Back