• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should the PGA allow tournaments to pay golfers appearance fees?

Should the PGA allow tournaments to pay golfers appearance fees?

• Yes

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 63.9%

• Total voters
Given that the PGA pays out more than any other tour ill say no. they would only be paying to get the big names and unless its some astronomical amout (probs only tiger getting that anyway) id rather it just go to the total purse, giving a stronger overall field.

Last edited:
No. Doesn't need to. Although the Euro tour is catching up, the PGA Tour is still #1. And enough very good Euros are playing plenty of events over here either full-time or part-time.

No...Bill Haas made like 12mil in one Sunday last year (I know he won FedEx Cup too.) Payouts are ridiculous on Tour.

It's about the free market. if players can get paid, why shouldn't they?

No, they should not pay appearance fees. Moreover, the Tour should require every member to play in every official tour event at least every 3-4 years. Those spoiled brats should make sure to support the Tour that supports them.

No, they should not pay appearance fees. Moreover, the Tour should require every member to play in every official tour event at least every 3-4 years. Those spoiled brats should make sure to support the Tour that supports them.

Should players have to play in the True South Classic, and skip the British Open? What about then Reno-Tahoe open, the week of the WGC Bridgestone? What if a player divides his schedule up into 4 equal parts then gets hurt and misses a tournament?

Let players make their own schedule. They are effectively independant contractors

Yep. Look where Tiger is this week. If the PGA naps on this you'll see the big guns play the PGA Tour minimum and then follow the money. I'd do it. Hell, you never know when your game is going to go David Duval on you...

It should be the best players in the world competing. Not a freaking popularity contest.

I have no idea what the "free market" has to do with this thread. Your argument could easily be "if a player can get paid to throw a football game, why shouldn't he?"

The PGA isn't the market. The PGA doesn't prevent players from receiving appearance fees. They can only control whether PGA tournaments pay out said fees. The "free market" doesn't require the PGA to. Nor does it prevent a player from deciding to play another tour that does pay appearance fees.

No. I think Tennis went the way of the dinosaur in this country in large part because of players chasing appearance fees all over the world. There was little structure to their game/tour and the better players never met except in majors.

I have no idea what the "free market" has to do with this thread. Your argument could easily be "if a player can get paid to throw a football game, why shouldn't he?"

You never cease to amaze. I can't wait to hear how cheating and breaching your contract is in any way similar to standard operating procedures in all other golf tours. Plus PGA Tpur golfers regualrly get paid to play in golf outings in the US as part of martketing themselves.

The PGA isn't the market. The PGA doesn't prevent players from receiving appearance fees. They can only control whether PGA tournaments pay out said fees. The "free market" doesn't require the PGA to. Nor does it prevent a player from deciding to play another tour that does pay appearance fees.

The PGA TOur does keep tournaments from paying players appearance fees or they would be doing it

Should players have to play in the True South Classic, and skip the British Open? What about then Reno-Tahoe open, the week of the WGC Bridgestone? What if a player divides his schedule up into 4 equal parts then gets hurt and misses a tournament?

Let players make their own schedule. They are effectively independant contractors

Obviously you don't force them to miss majors or World events... But, the tour needs all of the events to be healthy - tournaments make more money, and stay healthy, when stars play in them. I realize the players are independent contractors and the system would have to be very flexible... and I am not even sure how it would work... But, generally, the top players should support a broader range of events than they do now.

Before there was so much money on Tour, players played in many, many more events and you got to see the best compete against each other much more often. Would it kill Tiger or Phil to come to Greensboro one year, for instance?

It already does, in effect. Why do you think Tiger played in all of the Buick events, even the crappy one in Michigan?

No. If players want to chase appearance money they are free to on other tours. The PGA Tour has the best product, biggest purses, and best players of any tour in the world even without appearance fees.

Not to mention that the PGA Tour doles out tons of money to local charities, and appearance fees would only cut into that.

The PGA TOur does keep tournaments from paying players appearance fees or they would be doing it

That's exactly what Racer said. The Tour prevents PGA Tour events from using appearance fees to lure players.

The Tour does NOT prevent players from getting appearance fees elsewhere. Tiger, or any other player, is free to accept appearance fee money in any non-PGA Tour sanctioned event in the world and he and many other players have certainly done so throughout their careers.

You're reading is 2nd only to your spelling.

The PGA doesn't prevent players from receiving appearance fees. They can only control whether PGA tournaments pay out said fees. The "free market" doesn't require the PGA to.

Can you now please explain how the "free market" is the reason why the PGA should pay appearance fees?

Back