• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Apathy

wakedeac98

Reaction score
We are definitely reaching new lows of apathy as a fan base. I'm assuming that a lot of people on these boards are some of the most hardcore and devoted followers of Wake Forest athletics, particularly basketball, in our fan base.

Since the Clemson game ended, there have been only 4 additional pages of posts on the game thread about the game. Other than just a small handful of posts on the [Redacted] zone and Vegas line threads, no other mention of the game or Wake basketball.

No Buzz out thread. No fired Wellman thread. No threads congratulating or whining about players. No mention of anything going forward this team or program. It's almost like we've collectively exhausted every line of discussion at this point and have grown tired of circular conversation about our suckness.

It's very, very strange. In 14 years of being around some form of these boards since graduation I haven't seen anything like it, especially in January of mid conference play.

Agree and no surprise. While we did not have the boards in the late 80's/early 90's, the same thing happened in the Staak years. Season ticket holders don't renew, students don't go to games, and from my standpoint, I no longer am sure who they play next and may or may not even watch the game even if I know it is on.

It will take several years to build it back and probably begin when the coaching regime changes.

This season can at best be considered practice for next year. Hard to get fired up about practice.

Mediocre players with one more year of experience are mediocre players with one more year of experience.

Oh yeah and we will have some decent freshmen.

We are going to suck next year too,

We will appreciate winning that much more when it happens again. Could be a long wait though.

No Buzz out thread. No fired Wellman thread. No threads congratulating or whining about players. No mention of anything going forward this team or program. It's almost like we've collectively exhausted every line of discussion at this point and have grown tired of circular conversation about our suckness.

What more can be said? We have a shit coach with a couple of talented players, but overall a mediocre team that isn't remotely competitive in a down conference. We just got controlled by an equally unimpressive Clemson team that I believe most felt we had a chance to beat. I feel that most do a pretty good job of giving credit where credit is due (i.e. positivity about Ty's development, Travis' overall hustle/toughness, hope for 2012 recruiting class), but overall we're a group of proud basketball fans sitting on a turd of a basketball program. This good news is it absolutely IS going to get better, but that's mainly because it really can't get much worse.

I'm apathetic, but I'm also disgusted. Watched the game yesterday knowing that we had no chance to win. None. I wasn't even hoping to win, and when I turned it off to leave the house with about ten minutes left and us down 10, I never even entertained the possibility of a comeback.

The only good thing about yesterday is it leaves us one game closer to being rid of this clown.

I'll still watch the games and pull for the team. And I'll expect to see the same things. Ty thirty feet from the basket on D from time to time. Travis struggling with his handle. TC shooting the ball. Nikita getting shoved all over the place and making bad fouls in retaliation. That sort of stuff. And we may win another game or two... who knows.

I think people pretty much know where things stand. We beat the dead horse weeks ago.

Watched on DVR and deleted it with 16 minutes left. We were done.

In past seasons I rewatched games and stayed in touch with all we were doing. Now I have to distance myself from the games for self-preservation.

I think most people are pissed, but as you stated how many buzz out thread can one start.

Ron Wellman has ruined Wake forest basketball for the forseeable future. Seeing that he is able to do whatever he wants, there is no use is complaining anymore.

Hatch and the Board of Trustees dont seem to mind and so attendance at games will hover at 3,000. Maybe this was Wake's plan along to drive attendance for games so low they could steal Lawrence Joel. I cant imagine how much money that place must be losing.

I think most folks have become apathetic so as to not be depressed. Basketball season used to be fun and heartbreaking. Now I don't even know when the games are.

So pretty much since the Deas beat Florida state Wake sport's have been non existant.

Thanks Ron.

Ron Wellman has ruined Wake forest basketball for the forseeable future. Seeing that he is able to do whatever he wants, there is no use is complaining anymore.

Hatch and the Board of Trustees dont seem to mind and so attendance at games will hover at 3,000. Maybe this was Wake's plan along to drive attendance for games so low they could steal Lawrence Joel. I cant imagine how much money that place must be losing.

Exactly. Apparently, Ron is untouchable and the big givers must love the hell out of him. So, I'm not wasting my time hoping things will change. If Ron considers 10,000 UNC fans for this Tuesday's game to be a success, then so be it.

Agree and no surprise. While we did not have the boards in the late 80's/early 90's, the same thing happened in the Staak years. Season ticket holders don't renew, students don't go to games, and from my standpoint, I no longer am sure who they play next and may or may not even watch the game even if I know it is on.

It will take several years to build it back and probably begin when the coaching regime changes.

This is much worse than the Staak years. Even Staak's teams had several games where they were competitive and every great once in awhile could pull the rabbit out of a hat. So, we always believed there was a chance. The 1987 ACC tournament 1st round upset over Clemson, 1988 upsetting UNC ad State, 1989 knocking off Duke. Straight up, I think Staak and his teams would easily beat Bzz and these guys.

I was telling someone just yesterday what a loss WF basketball has been for me. I used to be so sad when the season was over and I started getting excited about a new season as soon as students hit campus in the fall. It was a huge and extraordinarily pleasurable part of my life.

I didn't even watch yesterday. Wake me up when we have a new coach and a new direction.

Exactly. Apparently, Ron is untouchable and the big givers must love the hell out of him. So, I'm not wasting my time hoping things will change. If Ron considers 10,000 UNC fans for this Tuesday's game to be a success, then so be it.

We play Carolina at home on Tuesday? Thanks.

So do you think it will be harder to get the fans back or turn the team around?

Think about it again Tuesday night when the TAR -- HEELS chant echoes throughout the Joel and our fans dont care enough to shout it down.

So do you think it will be harder to get the fans back or turn the team around?

Think about it again Tuesday night when the TAR -- HEELS chant echoes throughout the Joel and our fans dont care enough to shout it down.

If it's anything like the Staak -> Odom transition, getting fans back will just require a new hope and something for the Athletic Program to "advertise" - those billboards of Rodney Rogers and the WFU logo over Peters Creek Pkwy seemed to indicate that Wake believed in the program, that let others feel the same way. So either a drastic shift in this staff's performance or a new regime that will drastically change the expectations will bring most everyone back that is/will be lost.

This season can at best be considered practice for next year. Hard to get fired up about practice.

Practice? We talking about practice?
nba_g_iverson11_300.jpg

everybody is just biding their time until Bzzz is gone and there is something to look forward to again

Back