• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Men's Golf Commit

TripleDeacon

Just Another Attorney
Reaction score
Just got word that Tanner Owen (he's from High Point, plays for Bishop McGuinness) has verbally committed to Wake Forest to take one of the two open spots in the fall of 2014.

Great news. I was thinking about it yesterday, but Wake's recruiting advantage in golf is absurd. We have one of the most outgoing and nicest coach in the country doing the bulk of our recruiting (Haas) while we have one of the nicest facilities in the country plus the advantage of Old Town as a practice course. Wake should be consistently getting top 10 classes in the country. We are definitely on the right track golf-wise.

I think we overrate our own golf facilities, though. They're nice, but come on... compared to what Stanford and Oklahoma State are dealing with, our facilities are small-time.

Never mind that two of the top money winners on Tour last year were Wake guys.

I think we overrate our own golf facilities, though. They're nice, but come on... compared to what Stanford and Oklahoma State are dealing with, our facilities are small-time.

I mean our golf facility is top 5 or 6 in the nation, I don't see how that's small-time in any sense.

Having an on-campus golf course would be nice but Old Town is a phenomenal course and great to help lure recruits in. I don't know if Karsten Creek is on-campus or not but do know that it's dedicated to the Okie State program. It's easier to do that when you have the support of one of the 20th century's greatest names in technology donating millions of dollars to your program though.

Having an on-campus golf course would be nice but Old Town is a phenomenal course and great to help lure recruits in. I don't know if Karsten Creek is on-campus or not but do know that it's dedicated to the Okie State program. It's easier to do that when you have the support of one of the 20th century's greatest names in technology donating millions of dollars to your program though.

It would be awesome if Wake somehow bought Old Town and turned it into the University Golf Course. I know that this is completely unrealistic and it will never happen but it would still be cool.

Stanford has their own course and all the money in the world. But, I played their course last fall and, while it is very nice, it did not blow me away or anything... I assume they have a practice facility somewhere just for the team but I didn't see it. The clubhouse at the course is underwhelming at best.

We are not top 5-10 in the country. Hell some of the Ivy Leagues have better facilities. Yale Golf Club is sick. When I was recruited to play at Penn they took me to Merion. Even Cornell has a Tillinghaust. Everywhere has indoor facilities now. If you're a top flight golfer I don't know why you'd go anywhere but Stanford. Assuming you're bright.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Old Town Club is like having an on campus course as it runs at the back of the campus. Plus it is as good a course as there is in the state of NC....and a Perry Maxwell course, who designed it at the same time he was renovating Augusta National

We have this discussion once every couple of months, it feels like.

Caturday, if Penn was recruiting you, why the hell didn't you go? Knew you'd get into Wharton one day, I suspect.

We are not top 5-10 in the country. Hell some of the Ivy Leagues have better facilities. Yale Golf Club is sick. When I was recruited to play at Penn they took me to Merion. Even Cornell has a Tillinghaust. Everywhere has indoor facilities now. If you're a top flight golfer I don't know why you'd go anywhere but Stanford. Assuming you're bright.

I guess I was thinking in terms of practicality of getting recruits. It's tough to persuade golfers to go North to play golf since the weather is miserable regardless of how the facilities are.

There are few programs in the south that have a home course as good as Old Town.

Who else has good facilities out there? I figured the Arizona schools would, since Arizona has so many good courses. It seems I'm right, as I googled the Wildcats facilities and they seem to have the full setup just like OSU and Stanford.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/facilities/golf.html

Great course. My family had a membership there for a few years in the late 90's.

It's also a solid 25-30 minutes from campus.

Back