• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A Closer Look @ Bz's Opponents (KenPom Ranking & W/L's)

vtwhat etc

Historically Competitive
Reaction score
Very quickly... I imported this data into a spreadsheet a couple of months ago for another thread & have been keeping this season updated as we've gone along (the ranking for '12 opponents is where they stand today).

The spreadsheet has ended up being a pretty quick/tidy way of seeing how our past & future opponents are fairing.

I'm sharing it (commence NegRep) because I thought some here would find it interesting & might have some requests for specific statistical break-downs. If there's any interest, I can post a link to the actual .xls (.numbers) file which dives a bit deeper (home/away, etc.).

Carry on.

fGUtK.png

would you add a row at the bottom of each year with the avg. rank of opponents wins and losses

Already had that fired up on the main spreadsheet & cropped it off for the OP.

I think its all actively linked w/ the main table so the '12 avg should be up-to-date. I'll take a look later & make sure, but the difference (since I added that stat a week or two ago) would be pretty negligible.

Last edited:
so basically the common denominator is we've lost to shitty teams and beaten shitty teams.

Did you get permission from doofus and numbers to post about KenPom?

Put bzz's teams final ranking for each year

So on average he loses to teams that are better than his team, and beats the teams he should, based on whatever metric you are using. Shocking stuff.

So on average he loses to teams that are better than his team, and beats the teams he should, based on whatever metric you are using. Shocking stuff.

Really? There are a 1,000,000+ potential hypotheses you could make from that chart... Don't ask me to put time into compiling data if you're only doing so to be a dick. I won't accuse you of wasting my time since by posting this, I'm proving I have too much of it... but c'mon man.

Just for the record, and completely subjectively, your logic is severely flawed in the argument that you were trying to make.

A lower-ranked team can only outperform if we're looking solely @ W/L's (and of course, this works the other way as well); but Bz's two 'good' (ranked 50th or better) teams lost 6 games to teams ranked lower than 100th & won precisely 0 games against higher-ranked teams (0-3, #smallsamplesizedeac).

There's lots of depressing info in these numbers (as if what we see on the court isn't bad enough), but to me the most damning stat is the record against top 50 teams. If I added correctly, the record comes in at 6 wins and 54 losses.

Doesn't give you much reason to hope, does it?

"We needed to improve in the late season and in the post-season. Wake Forest did not meet that goal sufficiently this year. We were 16-17 in March over the past three seasons...I took a look at everything statistical and there was a significant decline from February to March, and even more so from March into tournament play"-Ron Wellman, 4/7/10

2nd half of Bz's last 5 seasons = 11-57, .192

Last edited:
Really? There are a 1,000,000+ potential hypotheses you could make from that chart... Don't ask me to put time into compiling data if you're only doing so to be a dick. I won't accuse you of wasting my time since by posting this, I'm proving I have too much of it... but c'mon man.

Just for the record, and completely subjectively, your logic is severely flawed in the argument that you were trying to make.

A lower-ranked team can only outperform if we're looking solely @ W/L's (and of course, this works the other way as well); but Bz's two 'good' (ranked 50th or better) teams lost 6 games to teams ranked lower than 100th & won precisely 0 games against higher-ranked teams (0-3, #smallsamplesizedeac).

He goes to State, what do you expect?

"We needed to improve in the late season and in the post-season. Wake Forest did not meet that goal sufficiently this year. We were 16-17 in March over the past three seasons...I took a look at everything statistical and there was a significant decline from February to March, and even more so from March into tournament play"-Ron Wellman, 4/7/10

This should be emailed to Wellman by every person on this board.

Facepalm

Wellman has come out of this looking so bad.

I cannot pos rep this enough.

He goes to State, what do you expect?

Aww thats cute, you sure are a guy id love to be around OGB. Sorry I dont see the point of yet another thread that is intended to bash bzz as a coach. We already know that hes not good. The fact that im a stats major and have absolutely no desire to do any amount of work to prove what is easily visable about this team and bzz weighed heavily on my first response.

Back