• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest, Trying Desperately to Regress to the Mean

marquee moon

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
http://www.carolinamarch.com/2012/1/31/2762463/wake-forest-trying-desperately-to-regress-to-the-mean

It may be a little early, but I can't shake the feeling that Jeff [Redacted] is the worst ACC coaching hire of the 2000's. Wake gave up on Dino Gaudio pretty early, firing him after a 20-11 season from a team that was bounced in the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament. Almost all of the starters left with Gaudio, so it wasn't too much of a surprise that the Demon Deacons struggled last season, but a 1-15 conference record and 8-24 mark overall was shockingly bad. This was the worst team in a major conference last season. Can [Redacted] really rebuild it?

http://www.carolinamarch.com/2012/1/31/2762463/wake-forest-trying-desperately-to-regress-to-the-mean

It may be a little early, but I can't shake the feeling that Jeff [Redacted] is the worst ACC coaching hire of the 2000's. Wake gave up on Dino Gaudio pretty early, firing him after a 20-11 season from a team that was bounced in the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament. Almost all of the starters left with Gaudio, so it wasn't too much of a surprise that the Demon Deacons struggled last season, but a 1-15 conference record and 8-24 mark overall was shockingly bad. This was the worst team in a major conference last season. Can [Redacted] really rebuild it?

I think he's narrowed his time frame a bit much on this one.

Players hated Doherty. Fans hated Doherty. Alumns hated Doherty. Students hated Doherty. Adminstration hated Doherty.

Our coach has only three of those five against him: Fans/Alumns (same thing for Wake), and I guess Students.

Doherty was pretty crap - but he did have one really good season and he left a boatload of talent for Roy when he left. UNC could have done much, much worse frankly.

Players hated Doherty. Fans hated Doherty. Alumns hated Doherty. Students hated Doherty. Adminstration hated Doherty.

Our coach has only three of those five against him: Fans/Alumns (same thing for Wake), and I guess Students.

The day Coach [Redacted] signs 3 of the top 10 players in the country (lottery picks each, mind you) is the day he can say he is a better coach than Doherty.

I don't get the impression that the players that have played under Mr. [Redacted] here are all that fond of him.

The day Coach [Redacted] signs 3 of the top 10 players in the country (lottery picks each, mind you) is the day he can say he is a better coach than Doherty.

This. Bzz is recruiting Carolina bench players.

"Wake, like most bad teams, can't really impose their will on the tempo of a ahem"

I don't really know what the end of this sentence means, but we were pretty successful at imposing our will on the game's tempo last night. All-in-all that's a pretty poorly written article.

"Wake, like most bad teams, can't really impose their will on the tempo of a ahem"

I don't really know what the end of this sentence means, but we were pretty successful at imposing our will on the game's tempo last night. All-in-all that's a pretty poorly written article.

We were pretty successful at it with 4 minutes left, down by 15. Fucking [Redacted]. We don't let Lobo get away with that bullshit clock management, yet Bzz was "imposing his will".

I'd say we were very successful the whole game given the 67 possession game was exactly our average and 7 possessions lower than UNC, the fastest team in America.

I don't get the impression that the players that have played under Mr. [Redacted] here are all that fond of him.

Are you deliberately stating this in past tense and is this statement broader than Jeff's experience at Wake. That is, are the current players dissatisfiec with their coach.

Also, I'm not sure what the title of this thread means (no pun intended). Are you saying that Wake is on its way to be a .500 team?

I'd say we were very successful the whole game given the 67 possession game was exactly our average and 7 possessions lower than UNC, the fastest team in America.

Maybe you didn't see my post, and hopefully aren't ignoring it. Once you get down 20 points with 6 minutes ago, you don't grind away the fucking clock. I'm happy that Carolina couldn't hit the broadside of a barn for 30 minutes, but you play to win the freaking game, not so that people can pat you on the back the next day for trying hard.

Do you really think that TC's (6'2) zone defense is what made Harrison Barnes go 1-5 from 3?

Last edited:
Maybe you didn't see my post, and hopefully aren't ignoring it. Once you get down 20 points with 6 minutes ago, you don't grind away the fucking clock. I'm happy that Carolina couldn't hit the broadside of a barn for 30 minutes, but you play to win the freaking game, not so that people can pat you on the back the next day for trying hard.

I was responding to your post. We slowed the tempo down the entire game which enabled us to stay in it when UNC shot a very low percentage from the floor. Everytime we tried to speed up play Chennault turned it over, Nikita bounced it off his foot, or we ran an inept fastbreak, all of which lead to UNC getting out on the break something they LOVE to do and how they have one of the best offenses in the country. We didn't solely grind the clock for the final 6 minutes, we did it the whole game and when we were down by 15 points the game was over anyway. What's the difference at that point? Run the offense you're going to use the rest of the year and use the rest of the game as practice against one of the best defenses in the nation.

We didn't solely grind the clock for the final 6 minutes, we did it the whole game and when we were down by 15 points the game was over anyway. What's the difference at that point? Run the offense you're going to use the rest of the year and use the rest of the game as practice against one of the best defenses in the nation.

Thanks for giving up. Ron Wellman should go ahead and sign you up, because you fit right in with this regime.

We definitely slowed the game down in the last 6 minutes, and everyone of our players was scared as hell to shoot. There is absolutely no reason to work the shot clock down, uselessly pounding the dribble, and passing around the perimeter like assholes, effectively giving up like a bitch, when TC is just going to take a contested 3 at the end of the possession anyway. That's pussy basketball and piss poor coaching.

Last edited:
Thanks for giving up. Ron Wellman should go ahead and sign you up, because you fit right in with this regime.

We definitely slowed the game down in the last 6 minutes, and everyone of our players was scared as hell to shoot. There is absolutely no reason to work the shot clock down, effectively giving up like a bitch, when TC is just going to take a contested 3 at the end of it anyway. That's pussy basketball and piss poor coaching.

Wake had no shot of winning the game down 15 with 6 minutes left against UNC, none at all. It's not giving up to do the same thing you had been doing all game which had kept it from being a 40 point game.

Back